• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Shrewsbury (A)

Starting XI

• Oxley

Votes: 80 90.9%
  • Bishop

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • Bwomono

Votes: 81 92.0%
  • Demetriou

Votes: 58 65.9%
  • Ralph

Votes: 55 62.5%
  • Blackman

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Kiernan

Votes: 85 96.6%
  • Shaughnessy

Votes: 23 26.1%
  • Lennon

Votes: 71 80.7%
  • Hutchinson

Votes: 9 10.2%
  • Milligan

Votes: 49 55.7%
  • Mantom

Votes: 52 59.1%
  • Hamilton

Votes: 55 62.5%
  • Dieng

Votes: 18 20.5%
  • Hyam

Votes: 16 18.2%
  • McLaughlin

Votes: 83 94.3%
  • Hutchinson

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Ndukwu

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • Goodship

Votes: 68 77.3%
  • Cox

Votes: 31 35.2%
  • Humphrys

Votes: 87 98.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I’m really hoping that we go for a three pronged attack with Goodship in the middle and Humphrys and Cox storming in from the sides. Just hoof the ball forward or give it to Elvis or to Macca to feed the hungry and let’s outscore them. Try not to let too many in.

My application is on Ron’s desk, not got a call as yet ...

My selection, providing all selected would be fit:

*********************************************OXLEY*************************************

DEMETRIOU*******************SHAUNESSY********LENNON*******************RALPH

MANTOM**********************KIERNAN***********HAMILTON*********MCLAUGHLIN

*******************HUMPHREYS**********************GOODSHIP**********************

SUBS:
BISHOP
BWOMOMO
MILLIGAN
DIENG
HYAM
NDUKWO
COX

If one of the centre backs gets injured, Kiernan can drop back and Dieng, Hyam or Milligan can come in.

wide cover is offered by the DUK and COx is striker cover, or if we, God forbid, need to close the game out from a winning position, COx could come on for Goodship play a bit deeper, but still offer that little bit to be worried about.

Whoever is selected, just the same fight please and midfield please, please go with the runners and stop chasing the vball so much.

UTB

I think Kiernan in midfield is just what we need.
Reads the game well , tackles , is verbal - all the things we’ve been missing

Oxley

Bwomono
Kiernan
Lennon
Ralph

Demetriou
Mantom
Hamilton
McLaughlin

Goodship
Humphrys

so weird - the world of opinions

I think Milligan is a knackered old waste of space and a second rate show pony while Dieng is a proven League on pro and Hyam can do a holding job.

I think we need a definite midfield 3 - from Mantom, Hyam, Hamilton, Dieng - with Macca as a wide man cos he does his defensive work.

Maybe chance Hutchinson up front with Hump if Cox off form - he cannot hold his own in a league midfield yet ...

I think Dieng's worth persevering with. At his best he looks a class midfielder and could provide the creativity we badly need, as well as popping up with the odd goal. The manager needs to work out how to get the best out of him and for 90 minutes, not just in flashes. Hyam I think is a lost cause.

Creativity is great but we need a ball winner to give it to the creative one to do something with.
It's a tricky one.

Only definite change is Blackman,but I guess he play the same side that started against Fleetwood we will lose and that will be Waddock final game

Think we’re all agreed that Goodship must start, up top. Interesting reading the ongoing debates about midfield and who should play where. But Goodship is a striker, let’s play him there. I’d rest Mantom and stick Kiernan or Demetriou in there for a bit of solidity, Macca as our only winger, plus he needs games .. persevere with Hutch and have Cox playing further forward but with the understanding he’s got 60 mins max to prove he should be picked for MK Dons. Centre defence, draw names out of a hat maybe ...

Oxley
Bwomono Shaughnessy? Lennon? Ralph
Macca Hutchinson Kiernan/Demetriou
Cox
Goodship Humphrys

Oxley
Elvis Shaughnessy Lennon Ralph
Demetriou Kiernan Hamilton Macca
Goodship Humphrys
Not usually an advocate for players out of position, but feel Kiernan is a better option in the middle than Mantom. Also feel his defensive ability may give Hamilton more freedom.
If Bond leaving acts as a fresh slate for the squad then Shaughnessy should not be excluded from that, not that the defence can get much worse anyways.
Goodship has goals in him, Cox off the boil.
Keeping Lennon In despite he has never started and finished in a game that Southend have won, my superstitious side wants to take him out but he’s been the pick of the centre halves so far

Exactly the team I would go with, but maybe one last chance for Cox, and bring Goodship on with 30 to go, but I don't think he would drop Mantom.
It’s the team I want, but in no way do I think that’ll be our XI unfortunately.
Mantom, for some reason, seems undroppable for any manager at SUFC

He's an honest pro that's why , he probably trains harder than others and has a fantastic attitude, managers love these type of characters however at this moment in time he doesn;t suit or system and offers not a lot .

we need someone who can get into the opposition , give them no time on the ball and win their own battle , i know it sounds like i'm on his case but in the games ive seen him this season he hasn't walked off having won his individual battle .

Quite often there is an agreement whereby the player will get X amount of games before he then picked on merit....ie play first 5 then it’s on merit.

It is also very common for the parent club to say you can have him for free (in terms of wages) if he’s playing but if not then you contribute that proportion of his wage....ie if he starts all games we pay all his wages, if he starts 50% of games you contribute 50% of his wages...

I’d be very surprised if this second example isn’t in place in some form....and it would explain why he’s been selected in every game available so far....I don’t suppose Ron is very keen on contributing a % of £6-10k a week for a 20 yr old no better than what we have of our own

Man U won't be making demands, nor will Leicester because we don't have any history of bowing down to that.

Of course we get a deal with wages but they are all different and some of those players aren't earning what you think.

We are struggling to fill our midfield slots with injuries to Dieng, Milligan and Hyam and we aren't blessed in the attacking CM department.

Hamilton done more than OK when he came on at Lincoln, for a debut in a team that were 3-0 down before he had hardly touched the ball. He played well v Posh, set up good chances, had a couple of shots on target. Was MOM v MK according to some, certainly forced their keeper into saves.

Yes his worst game was against Rochdale but we had a strung out midfield 3 that looked like bar football with him on the left and a permanent 20yd gap between each player. Plus its not either of the young loanees fault that our more senior (lets skip the afternoon gym session because no ones looking) players had downed tools.

I get your a Hutch fan but on Saturdays performance I can't see him forcing out Hamilton at CM even if he played for the bigger club in Manchester.

Back