• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mick

Life President
The man in charge of Saturday's match is Chris Sarginson from Staffordshire.

He is a ninth year referee who will be refereeing his tenth Southend match and, for me, he is another one who falls into the "lucky to still be there" category.

His last Southend match was co-incidentally against Shrewsbury. It was last season's midweek away match and we came out on top 2-1 with goals from Atkinson and Hendie. We had yellows for McQueen and O'Neill and a red for Timlin.

Before that, his last Southend match was as a late replacement at Oxford in 2014/15. Deegan managed to pick up two yellows in 33 minutes, fast even by his standards. There was also a yellow for Payne and one of theirs. Deegan's second yellow was a little unsatisfactory as the referee didn't appear to even be awarding a foul until some unspecified intervention. All was well in the end as we won 3-2 and we also won the match Deegan was suspended for.

Earlier that same season it was the first of our four matches against Stevenage in 2014/15 season - a 2-0 home win and 2 yellows apiece, ours going to Clifford and Coulthirst. Not a good day for the man in the middle.

Then came his sub-standard performance at Fleetwood at the back end of 2013/14 (1-1), with yellows for Egan and Leonard.

Previously it was the away game at Plymouth in 2011/12 when we were leading 2-0 with about 5 mins to go and finished up with a point. Yellows for Timlin, Martin and Dickinson and one of theirs.

Further back it was the Shrimps vs Shrimpers defeat in 2010/11 when we just shaded the yellows with 3 (Grant, Corr and Barker) against their 2. Then in the same season on New Year's Day at Oxford, when, as we won and he booked loads of theirs and none of ours, there were no complaints.

Then it was the hollow victory against Stockport at the end of the 2009/10 season (yellow for Mvoto) and defeat at MK Dons the season before that (yellows for Grant, Clarke and Freedman).

His yellow card count is decidedly average again this season with 36 yellows and 2 reds from a dozen games.

Assisting are Kevin Howick from Abingdon, Oxfordshire making his first appearance at Roots Hall and more frequent visitor, decent non-league referee Dave Bushell from London. For identification purposes only, Dave Bushell is the black official. Fourth Official is Craig Hicks from Sutton.

Previously it was the away game at Plymouth in 2011/12 when we were leading 2-0 with about 5 mins to go and finished up with a point. Yellows for Timlin, Martin and Dickinson and one of theirs.

Listened to this on the radio, still a nightmare. :sad:AT MK Dons on Saturday. Couldn't feel safe and celebrate until after the final whistle:thumbsup:

I wonder if the refs/lino's have their own thread where they can talk about grounds, atmosphere...petulant players / managers ?

Just a thought, keep up the excellent work Mick :thumbsup:

I wonder if the refs/lino's have their own thread where they can talk about grounds, atmosphere...petulant players / managers ?

Just a thought, keep up the excellent work Mick :thumbsup:
Match officials are heavily discouraged from entering the murky world of social media!

I feel the need to post this during the game.

For those that moan about refs every game. We could get this clown every week. Awful

Last edited:
I have to agree. I think he made many single mistakes over the course of the match..and as a whole never really had control. It looked a penalty. He should have booked Wordy for a bad foul, especially as Thommo was booked for a clear foul but never a yellow. Inconsistent nonsense. Cox should have been sent off. I don't like to see players off but these clowns need to be consistent. Cox raised his hands and should have gone, as should Toney.

Thought he was poor and overly fussy - and, as others have said, quite inconsistent.

Back