• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Blues on Tour Match Travel SHREWSBURY - Saturday 15th September 2018

DoDTS

The PL League Boss⭐⭐
SHREWSBURY TOWN - Saturday 15th September 2018
Montgomery Waters Meadow
Capacity: 9,875 (all seated)
Address: Oteley Road, Shrewsbury, SY2 6ST
Telephone: 01743 289177

Details for Southend United visit to Shrewsbury can be found on the following:

Post 2; - Shrewsbury By Road/Parking

Post 3, - Shrewsbury Where to Drink

Post 4 - Shrewsbury By Train

Post 5 - Shrewsbury By Coach

Post 6 - Shrewsbury Ticket information

Post 7 - What’s the Ground like/Reviews

ALL THESE DETAILS OFFERED IN GOOD FAITH PLEASE CHECK CAREFULLY BEFORE BOOKING
IF YOU CAN FIND CHEAPER FARES PLEASE LET US KNOW.

This is your Forum please feel free to post anything relevant to this trip

Shrewsbury By Road/Parking

The following is from the footballgroundguide site;

http://www.footballgroundguide.com/leagues/england/league-one/greenhous-meadow-stadium-shrewsbury-town.html#adirections-and-car-parking

At the end of the M54 continue onto the A5. After about seven miles, there is a traffic island which is at the junction with the A49. Bear left at this island still following the A5. At the next roundabout take the 3rd exit onto the B4380 (Thieves Lane). Continue along Thieves Lane going straight over two roundabouts and this will lead you into Oteley Road. You will reach the stadium down further down Oteley Road on the left.

There is a large car park at the stadium, holding almost 700 cars, however, this is for permit holders only (although I have received reports of fans turning up early and being admitted for £7). Parking is prohibited in the nearby Retail Park and nearby streets, so to find some street parking you may have to drive a bit further away. Check though for any parking restrictions detailed on posts, before parking up. Otherwise there is a car park at the Meole Brace Bowling Club, which also offers parking at £3 per car and has a bar on site too. It can be found at Meole Rise (Off Upper Road, SY3 9JF).

Tony Morris a visiting Portsmouth fan informs me; ''At the top of Oteley Road which leads to the ground, there is the Meole Brace Roundabout. Around the roads leading onto the roundabout there are a number of private car parks providing match day parking, each of which charges £5. One is located behind the petrol station on the corner of Roman Road which is where we parked. We got there about an hour before kick off and there was plenty of room – I’m guessing at a capacity of around 200-300 cars. On the roundabout itself is the Wild Pig pub, which also offers parking".

Alternatively you can use the Park & Ride scheme operated by the Club. This costs £2 per person and commences at 12.30pm on Saturdays & 5.30pm for evening matches. It operates from Shire Hall (but not the nearby Meole Brace which is a park & ride for the town centre). It is located off the A5 (just take the A5064 towards the town centre) and at the roundabout with Lord Hill's Column, take the 3rd exit and then first right into the car park. I have heard though of delays in getting back to you car after the match (in some cases up to 40 minutes) so bear this in mind.

For any fans wanting to make a full day of a Saturday at Shrewsbury, I would recommend the use of the Meole Brace Park & Ride site. It is only a 10-15 minute walk from the ground and is well signposted from the A5. For £1.60 per passenger (return ticket), people can park at the site, catch a bus into Shrewsbury town centre, find plenty of food and drink outlets, and then catch a return bus back to the site. Journey time between 10-15 minutes depending on traffic volumes. Please note that parking is provided for those using the Park & Ride and not for matchday parking.

Post Code for SAT NAV: SY2 6ST

Shrewsbury Where to Drink

http://www.footballgroundguide.com/leagues/england/league-one/greenhous-meadow-stadium-shrewsbury-town.html#apubs-for-away-fans

David Matthias informs me; 'There are a couple of pubs within walking distance of the stadium. Firstly there is the 'Wild Pig (known before as the Brooklands Hotel)', just off Meole Brace Island, about five minutes walk away. It also has about 100 car parking spaces costing £5 each. Big screens and catering on matchdays, plus real ale from the Salopian Brewery. Also handily located just up from the BP Garage across the road is the 'Flippin Fish' Fish & Chip Shop. The Wild Pig is situated on Mill Street. From the stadium turn left along the B4380 Oteley Road. Head around the large roundabout towards Shrewsbury Town Centre. Then turn left into Roman Road and then left again into Mill Street. The hotel is down on the right. Please note though that for certain high profile games the Wild Pig reverts to a home fans only pub.

The other pub (and in the opposite direction) is the Charles Darwin; which is around a ten minute walk away. It has a car park (70 spaces) which is free as long as you patronise the pub. It is family friendly shows Sky Sports, as well as offering cask ales and food. To find this pub; then from the stadium entrance turn right along the B4380 Oteley Road. Take the second left into Sutton Road and the pub is down on the right. Opposite the pub is the Tasty Plaice fish & chip shop.

James Bradbury a visiting Sheffield Wednesday fan informs me; 'After being unable to gain access to the Wild Pig we were directed to the Grove pub on Belle Vue Road. Inside it had a mix of home and away fans, but there were no problems'. The pub is located just over a mile away from the stadium and is about a 20 minute walk. Next door to the pub is the 'Cod Father' fish and chip shop.

Neil Le Milliere a visiting Exeter City fan recommends; 'The Prince of Wales Hotel on Bynner Street. Although near the town centre (albeit on the new stadium side), in the Belle Vue area, this CAMRA Good Beer Guide listed pub was an excellent find. Good ale, food and a friendly welcome. The pub also runs a coach to the stadium for each home game, which away supporters can use for £2.50 (if there is space)'. More information can be found on the Prince of Wales Hotel website.

Gareth Hopkins informs me; 'There are some other pubs and some off-street parking to be had along the Hereford Road (A5191) going towards Shrewsbury Town Centre'. Otherwise alcohol is available to away fans within the stadium before the game but the bars close 15 minutes before the kick off, before opening again at half time.

There is a Retail Park nearby to the stadium, which has some eating outlets such as a McDonalds, Pizza Hut and a supermarket cafe.

If you have any comments/views on drinking in Shrewsbury please post your comments

SHREWSBURY by Train

FROM THE STATION

http://www.footballgroundguide.com/leagues/england/league-one/greenhous-meadow-stadium-shrewsbury-town.html#aby-train

Shrewsbury Railway Station is just over two miles away from the Greenhous Meadow Stadium, so if you do decide to walk it is going to take around 40 minutes. Otherwise you can grab a taxi up to the ground (although I have heard that taxis at the station can sometimes be scarce, so you may wish to find the number of a local firm before you go). Alternatively you can catch the Meole Brace Park & Ride service (operated by Arriva) from the railway station which takes you to the Meole Brace Retail Park, which is close to the stadium. Services on Saturday afternoons run every ten minutes and the cost of a ticket is £1.60. It doesn't run though in the evenings. There is a Football Special Bus Service that runs from the Town Centre Bus Station up to the stadium, which costs £2.50, In addition bus service numbers 8, 16, 23, 25 and 544/546 all stop near to the stadium (but are rather sparse or non-existent in the late evening after midweek games). The Football Special Bus Service promptly departs from behind the South Stand, ten minutes after the final whistle back to the town centre. Shrewsbury train station is served by trains from Birmingham New Street, Manchester Piccadilly, Crewe and Newport (Gwent).

TRAINS FROM LONDON

OUTWARD
09.23 or 9.43 or 10.23 London Euston, change at Birmingham New street arrive Shrewsbury 12.14 or 12.21 or 10.23- £30.05 NOW £14.00 (Advance Ticket) with an off peak ticket

Other trains available but may be £37.65

RETURN

17.33 Shrewsbury, change at Birmingham New street arrive London Euston 20.23 or 17.47 Shrewsbury, change at Wolverhampton arrive London Euston 20.53 both £30.05 NOW £15.00 (Advance Ticket) with an off peak single. Other trains available but may be £37.65

So an off-peak return start at £60.10 NOW £29.00 (Advance singles)

Tickets can be bought on line at the following link:
http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/timesandfares/London/SHR/150918/0900/dep/150918/1730/dep

CHEEKY ALTERNATIVE

Cheaper but slower. You can buy Advance Single tickets from London Marylebone to Birmingham New Street for £12.90, you can also buy an off peak return from Birmingham New Street to Shrewsbury for £14.60 making a Total Price of £27.75 i.e.

9.40 London Marylebone arrive Birmingham NewStreet 11.46 £7.40 advance single
12.15 Birmingham New Street arrive Shrewsbury 13.14 } Off peak return £14.60
17.47 Shrewsbury arrive Birmingham New Street 18.55}
20.02 Birmingham New Street arriveLodon Marylebone 22.11 £5.50 advance single

These tickets can be bought on-line

TRAINS FROM SOUTHEND

Fares are being quoted at £73.70 with an off peak return which seems reasonable in comparison to the London fares.

You would need to leave Southend Victoria at 07.50 to arrive in Shrewsbury at 12.21

Check the price carefully before booking as the cost may vary greatly.

If you are travelling from Southend it is worth giving consideration to the coach services mentioned elsewhere which will be cheaper and certainly easier

Last edited:
COACH SERVICES TO SHREWSBURY

We are extremely lucky two have two different independent coach services to away games, Shrimperzone's own service ZONE TRAVEL and one run by the SHRIMPERS TRUST.

Zone Travel Have seats available at £25.00 or £37 for one adult and I under 16 at the following Link:
https://www.shrimperzone.com/forums/threads/zone-travel-to-shrewsbury-town-sat-15th-sept-2018.97076/

Shrimpers Trust; Have seats available at £25.00 (members) £30.00 (Non Members) £10.00 (under16s) at the following Link:
http://www.shrimperstrust.co.uk/travel.asp?game_id=0

Last edited:
SHREWSBURY TICKET INFORMATION

Details now on the SUFC Official site and the on-line system as follows:

Tickets for Blues' game against Shrewsbury Town on Saturday 15th September are now on sale...
We have been issued 512 tickets to start with and they will be situated in the DM Recruitment Stand, prices are as follow:

Price
Adult£20.00
Senior£15.00
Disabled£15.00
Student (with valid NUS card)£15.00
Young person£15.00
Junior (12-18)£8.00
Juniors (Under 12)
FreeDisabled carerFree

We have been issued 6 pairs of wheelchair and carer tickets which come at the above prices.

Ticket sales on the day of the game will be cash only at the DM Recruitment Stand and will have no price increase.

Please note there is no cash machine located near or inside the ground.

Last edited:
WHAT'S IT LIKE FOR AWAY FANS

http://www.footballgroundguide.com/leagues/england/league-one/greenhous-meadow-stadium-shrewsbury-town.html#awhat-is-it-like-for-away-supporters

Away fans are located in the North Stand at one end of the ground. Leg room is good and the stands are quite steep keeping the fans close to the action and there is good height between rows. The concourses are quite well laid out, although the swing doors at the entrances to the toilets were met with a bit of trepidation. Although they were clearly marked one for entrance and one for the exit, the inevitable occurs with fans piling out of each.

The catering has a selection of pies made by Wright’s, including; Steak and Ale, Chicken Balti and a ‘Pie of the Day’ (all £3.40). The club also provides plastic forks to tackle those hot pies, which come in handy. I have to say that my steak and ale pie was very tasty, one of the better that I have had on my recent travels. There are also large plasma screens on the concourses showing Sky Sports throughout the afternoon.

I had a pleasant visit to the Montgomery Waters Meadow and was surprised by the reasonable atmosphere inside. This is boosted by a drummer in the home end, whilst most of the Shrewsbury singers tend to congregate close to the right of the away supporters in the West Stand. Hopefully, this will be boosted more by the home safe standing area in the South End. Even though I was at a local derby, the atmosphere was not hostile and I encountered no problems.

The Zone Travel service to
Shrewsbury Town
Kick off 3-00pm Saturday 15TH September 2018

Prices set at ONLY £25 per seat.

Family Saver Available 1 Adult, 1 Under 16 £37

SEAT AVAILABILITY: Seats available
Our usual high class service as always, Free Drinks, Goodies and games included.

It's easy T-Ze to book a seat and you can either PM me here on ShrimperZone; alternatively Text or Call on the T Z Zone Phone hotline on:

075811-45056

Please see the Terms and Conditions of Travel in our TravelZone Section.

DEPARTURE TIMES ARE AS FOLLOWS:

KENT ELMS Car Show room Bus stop. Rayleigh Rd 8-10

BELL CORNER, Pub bus stop 8-15

Blue Boar Bus stop..Opposite pub. 8-20

Odeon, Sainsburys .. 8-23

Palace Theatre 8-28
The Elms PH.....Bus stop 8-35

Hadleigh ...London Rd (top of Woodfield Rd) 8-40

Tarpots Bus stop nearest Saddlers Farm 8-50

Pitsea,opposite Aldi. bus stop. 8-55

Watermill Bus stop...
Eastmayne, opposite Longmans Motors 9:00