• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

manor15

Super Moderator⭐⭐
Staff member
Eight without a win, thoughts and reports here...

Didnt deserve to lose and played pretty well with a makeshift team. Were the better team second half.

Just lack any real threat in the final third.

Thought of the youngsters Yearwood did okand Elvis was a bit wobbly. Kyprianou played well, looks far more like a centre half than a left back.

That relegation zone is looming.

Watched online via iFollow.

Another frustrating performance tonight. The young lads are playing out of their skins and there's plenty of effort. But there can be no denying we're really lacking in some quality on the ball in the side at the moment. We can play it around nicely until it reaches the final third and then the wrong pass is chosen, overhit or poor shots taken.

Defensively I thought both Kyprianou and Bwomono did well and Demetriou was heavily involved throughout despite quite clearly needing to check onto his right foot all the time. If John White is fit enough to play on Saturday then I'd rather see him or Kyprianou on the left as JD is always going to be handicapped playing in that position. But with the way injuries are ravaging the side at the moment Phil Brown didn't have much choice tonight. However when you're trying to break stubborn defences down its these small things that can make all the difference.

Overall I don't really know how Shrewbury are top of the pile at this stage of the season. They're nothing special and its that that makes this defeat the more frustrating. If we had a few more of our top performers playing tonight they were there for the taking. I thought the same on Saturday too against Charlton. That's two games in a row where we've huffed and puffed and played well in spells but just not creating and taking decent chances. Hopefully things improve when Wordsworth comes back or we might be in some serious trouble.

Brown had run out of ideas and signing ancient players on big money is backfiring

Other than Turner we didnt really sign any?

Kightly isnt ancient and the likes of Hendrie and Kiernan who also signed have been injured and are the younger members of the squad. Then you add Coker to that and the defence has been ripped apart by a lot of injuries , out of the 8 defenders we have lost 6 of them so far this season.

Strange old game that was. A totally patched up United team with our big names injured or out of form. Up to the final pass or shot (or lack of them) I thought we matched Shrewsbury for the whole 90 minutes. Considering they are top and unbeaten, there wasn't much between the two sides. Where the Blues are suffering is in the lack of confidence in the final pass or shot. Everyone is trying to be too safe at the moment. That said Cox was unlucky in the second half when the keeper pulled off a great save from his effort. If that had gone in then confidence would have flooded through him and the team. The margins between success and failure are very thin this season so far.

I thought Anton was a bit of curate's egg tonight, sometimes he was his assured self and other times he was horrible. I also thought that McLaughlin is starting to find the form he had prior to last season's injury. He, at least, was prepared to have a shot. Nobody had a mare but neither can I easily nominate a MoM, so I won't. Northampton next up, with hopefully a lot more of our injured back in the line up. Keep the faith chums all is not yet lost. We just need to stick the bloody ball in the net. And, as an afterthought, Shrewsbury's shirts were the worst I have seen this season - bet you really wanted to know that, eh?

Match report: Shrewsbury Town 1, Southend United 0

SOUTHEND United’s winless streak extended to eight matches after slipping to a 1-0 defeat at table-topping Shrewsbury Town tonight.

More...

Desperately need Wordsworth back - will add the attacking edge in midfield that we have been lacking so far.

That's What happens when you spend all the clubs budget on 74 year old ***** defenders, bin all these old goons and spend some proper money on players who are at the peak to their playing days. No attacking threat and can't defend sounds like a **** house of a situation to me.

Seems like the Brown out brigade is starting to gather pace again. We've been here before, but Brown has always turned it around. Don't underestimate the effects of being without our best full back, best playmaker and best striker for most of the season to date.

You really can't judge him too harshly at this point. Let's get Ranger match fit and wait until Wordsworth is back at least, before we start pointing fingers. We've had incredible bad luck with injuries so far but I've still got every confidence in Brown once the squad starts taking shape again.

I could only listen but it was certainly frustrating. I really feel that Wordsworth is the biggest miss. Just hope he is back soon. Ranger will be back for Saturday at least. We will be playing catch up again but if we can get the treatment room cleared then anything is possible.

Seems like the Brown out brigade is starting to gather pace again. We've been here before, but Brown has always turned it around. Don't underestimate the effects of being without our best full back, best playmaker and best striker for most of the season to date.

You really can't judge him too harshly at this point. Let's get Ranger match fit and wait until Wordsworth is back at least, before we start pointing fingers. We've had incredible bad luck with injuries so far but I've still got every confidence in Brown once the squad starts taking shape again.

Trouble is, we keep ending up here, near the bottom, struggling to get points on the board. It shouldn't keep happening but Brown never seems to learn lessons.

We have 3 home games out of the next 4 games 7 pts is a must or 6 at the very least, if we fail to get 6 pts and loose at fleetwood we will be in deep s##t

Trouble is, we keep ending up here, near the bottom, struggling to get points on the board. It shouldn't keep happening but Brown never seems to learn lessons.

That's my point he is a one trick pony. No other manager in Southend history has been more heavily backed financially. He needs to deliver but has signed crocks and has been.

Haven't we been here before? Was it last season when we turned it all around? I still have my £5 on them going up. COYBB

it is not increble bad luck when you sign too many injury prone players though

Yes we've had key injuries and I certainly don't think we'll be in a relegation battle but the defence is a big, big worry for me. Without Coker and without White at RB we're always likely to concede - not anywhere near as solid as last season.

I don't think in my 38 years of supporting the club have I ever known us have so many injuries. But many of those are players with history of this. Kightly, Turner, Wordsworth, more recently Coker, Anton, Kieran, Ranger to name a few. You can say it's bad luck and on their day they are all very good league 1 players, but we are not going to get as many days out of these as we need. We started slowly last season and missed out by one point. The league already is taking shape and the teams expected to be there or there about are already pushing the top six spots. Dropping points to Gillingham, Rochdale and Plymouth already look huge points dropped. Even with a fully fit squad which at the moment looks unlikely I think mid table is best we can expect and for the money invested by RM I think he will be disappointed with that return. Northampton have suddenly hit form, if we don't get some of the squad back by Saturday I can only see another tough afternoon ahead

Back