• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Shrewsbury Town 4-3 Southend United

Ricey

I’m a Mod⭐⭐
Staff member
Another load conceded and a load of goals scored and still a loss.

Post all views and ratings here.

Groundhog Day , same problems not addressed means another loss .

That must be 12 different defenders used this season and we are still shipping in goals for fun .
I honestly don’t see a way out of this with the bunch of players we have ......bad times

Absolute shambles. Bond has ruined us. Fullbacks caught in possession for 3 goals trying to play out from the back.

Issues in midfield never fixed, no wingers, no leadership.

The forwards are going to give up if we keep scoring 3 and not winning. We will be relegated by the end of September.

Bond's legacy is this defence.

Bolton picked up their second point of the season

Scoring 3 goals away from home and not even getting a point for the second time this season.. it’s easy to see where our problems are. Only one man can sort this defence out. Can we now please put an end to this caretaker manager bollocks.. it’s clear who all the fans want, who the ex players who achieved so much at this club want. Time to stop ****ing around Ron.

Last edited:
The way we started this game was absolutely pathetic. No aggression, no closing down. We just allowed Shrewsbury all the time in the world to do whatever they wanted with the ball. Defensively mistakes aplenty as per usual and we're 2-0 down.
Suddenly Macca pulls a goal back with a sublime header and we are right back in the game and finally right at it. We're pressing and closing down. Cox is finally dropping deeper to give us that much needed extra man in midfield. But why the hell wasn't that the plan from the off? Shrewsbury outnumbered us but surely Waddock would have been aware of their formation?

Humphry's (after strolling round for much of the first 30 minutes) looked like the striker we all know he is for the rest of the of the match. Again though.... he needs to put the effort in from the outset.

We looked decent in attack from 30-90 minutes and that was pleasing. However we looked like we would concede goals every time Shrewsbury attacked. Sloppy passes in midfield was a common theme though as were individual mistakes.

Macca looked like the old Macca and kept going right to the end.
Ralph didn't look fit and was sluggish throughout.
Goodship was once more wasted out wide and did more defending than attacking.
It has to be him and Himphrys up top for me despite Coxy grabbing his first goal of the season. What a strike it was by the way.
I still feel that a change in management is needed to change the mentally as much as anything.
The only other positive was that we kept going right until the end which was encouraging.

4 goals conceded...24 in 8 games...diabolical.

Some not blaming Waddock. He has been part of the coaching set up since the summer. Bond, Waddock and Todorov are all to blame.

All the players bought in look ****e with the exception of Goodship.

That said the same set of players with extra confidence and better leadership I am positive would be more competitive.

Sacking Bond and leaving the back room staff to take charge when they are equally culpable is such a weak decision by Martin...

We are going down unless something changes fast!!

What the F*ck is going on! We are averaging conceding 3 goals a game! I just do not get what is going on! I really cannot recall any club going through this type of run unless they are in the same position as Bolton! This is supposed to be our 1st team squad - have to ask are Lennon and Kiernon that good or are the full backs the problem. We are without doubt on our way to League 2 and the sooner the better - another F*cking season of watching us getting humped at home - just want to see us win a few games and if that is in League 2 so be it - 2 seasons of crap is enough!

So much more than a new manager is needed. We need a new squad

That midfield wouldn’t look out of place in the conference. Constantly sideways and backwards. No ones finding a killer through ball. There’s no engine in there making us tick

Recruitment has been poor in the last 2 summers. Bond didn’t fix any of Powell’s mistakes. He just made it worse. His inability to sign a winger and/or an attacking midfielder was absolutely fatal

It’s September and I’m resigned to the fact we’re going down. It’s so bad I’d take a 1-0 defeat just so we’ve not been battered. This is a total shambles from top to bottom.

Humphrys is gone in January too

today the goals conceded were awful ... but i do think we have been selecting too many attacking players and not enough ball winners in midfield.

today only Mantom and Hamilton are proper midfielders - we need three in there .

i am convinced thats the issue - an we are fielding teams with players like Goodship, Ralph and Hutchinson who aren't up quite up to league one standard..

i am pleased Elvis screwed up as he a good young player BUT not our salvation and we have been over reliant on him ,,,

Southend are a very frustrating side to watch at the moment. Some of our attacking play was first rate, sadly most of our defending was schoolboy error level.

I felt sorry for Kiernan and Lennon as I thought they both had solid games winning tackles and headers but until we have a back unit that operates as a unit we will continue to get punished. No doubt Elvis and Nathan will get slaughtered on here after that game, but one bad game doesn't make them non league players. They were poor but they will recognise that and be stronger because of it.

I thought Hamilton looked quite useful tonight, he tackled, he won the ball and drove forward well. The fact that he gets carried away will cost him yellows unless he becomes more disciplined. I said on Saturday that Coxy is off his game at the moment, and his goal aside, that was true tonight. I would rest him from starting for a few games and maybe he will re-ignite.

Stevie Mc carrried on his good form and hopefully we will have run of good games from him now. Our problem is not conceding and that is something that the whole team needs to work on. At the moment I can't see us picking up three points, but football has a habit of throwing up changes you just don't expect and we stil have a lot of games to play.

A new manager please Ron, and soon, before it is too late to change.

We need a change of manager and quickly.

This whole situation is now becoming farcical.

Just listened to John McGriel on BBC Essex saying how unfit Theo was when he arrived and how hard he's been working to get properly match fit !!!!!!

Another load conceded and a load of goals scored and still a loss.

Post all views and ratings here.
Southend are a very frustrating side to watch at the moment. Some of our attacking play was first rate, sadly most of our defending was schoolboy error level.

I felt sorry for Kiernan and Lennon as I thought they both had solid games winning tackles and headers but until we have a back unit that operates as a unit we will continue to get punished. No doubt Elvis and Nathan will get slaughtered on here after that game, but one bad game doesn't make them non league players. They were poor but they will recognise that and be stronger because of it.

I thought Hamilton looked quite useful tonight, he tackled, he won the ball and drove forward well. The fact that he gets carried away will cost him yellows unless he becomes more disciplined. I said on Saturday that Coxy is off his game at the moment, and his goal aside, that was true tonight. I would rest him from starting for a few games and maybe he will re-ignite.

Stevie Mc carrried on his good form and hopefully we will have run of good games from him now. Our problem is not conceding and that is something that the whole team needs to work on. At the moment I can't see us picking up three points, but football has a habit of throwing up changes you just don't expect and we stil have a lot of games to play.

A new manager please Ron, and soon, before it is too late to change.
A new keeper

Back