• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Shrewsbury Town 4-3 Southend United

I noticed a long time ago the only time you become a better player at SUFC is when you aren’t in the side for whatever reason.....

Who has been scouting these players? Lennon shaughnessy ridgewell ralph etc. Not too long ago we had a defence of demitriou Ferdinand Thompson and Coker with a midfield of Leonard Timlin and Atkinson. Solid and worked their arses off. We've gone downhill so quickly.
Shows just how far we have sunk since PB left .We used to moan about his trying to defend a lead attitude.....now it would be nice to have a lead even though we couldn't defend it with the current shower

I noticed a long time ago the only time you become a better player at SUFC is when you aren’t in the side for whatever reason.....

You become a cult hero around 12 months after you leave. Especially if nearly all fans agreed at the time, that you were no longer good enough for a promotion push.

I don't know if it's me being over critical or if it's the frustration of the situation getting to me, but to me the tweets put out by Elvis and Humphrys kind of sum up a lot of what we are these days. Both make reference to the fact they're happy at their own personal moments last night, but to me, they should be saying bollocks to the fact I got an assist or goal because we lost AGAIN. I'm genuinely not sure I see many of the players actually hurting out on that pitch.

Watched on iFollow.

We defend too deep, all the time. There were several occasions when we cleared the ball and Shrewsbury just had carte blanche to pick it up in midfield with no resistance until they were about 25 yards from goal.

We need to press high and stop the supply. L1 players will not play Man City type football if they are hurried... we have seen this before and we used to do it very well. But now we don't seem to be anywhere near fit enough.

Several times Cox was exasperated because he was trying to close down and the ball was passed around him. When we do close down we do not get close enough to the man and stand a couple of yards off.

These are not bad players. There is no reason why we should be conceding 3's and 4's per match.

For me it comes down to the wide areas and central midfield, plain and simple.

Elvis had a bit of a mare, treated the ball as though it was square right from the first few seconds. Ralph maybe came back too early, looked unfit, kept being caught the wrong side.

Goodship is wasted out wide; saw very little from him.

There were however three big plusses -

1) We can score plenty of goals.
2) The return to form of Macca, and
3) The team showed character and didn't give up, as they did v Lincoln, Blackpool, MK Dons...

This last point is the biggest plus for me. But the players need to be fitter and run more, close down more, harry more, defend higher.

Then we'll stop conceding goals.

Actually thought we scored 3 good goals against their 1 good one. Without ridiculous individual errors, we probably would have won. We must stop giving the ball away around our box.

Your off your nut mate Mantom and Hamilton are the worst midfielders I have ever seen in a Southend shirt .... absolute drivel

umm -

the point I was making that neither Goodship nor Macca nor Cox are midfielders so we have in effect selected only two players are defined role is as a midfielder. That why I said proper.

I was not commenting on the individual ability or performance of either player.

It probably a bit of subtle point for someone like you to understand but I accept you simply did not understand. I don't mind your unpleasant comment "drivel" after all a lot of people in this country actually read the Sun.

Our midfield has never been the same since Leonard left. We got away with it at first as Dru came in to the side and was quality - but a lot of that was down to the experience of Timlin alongside him. Dru was never the same once Timlin left. The replacements last year are the worst excuses for central midfielders in Mantom and Dieng. Not fit to lace the boots of Timlin, Leonard etc

Secondly, whilst the defence was not great, we at least had old heads like Ferdinand and Turner. What have we got now? Weak, pathetic defenders and completely useless midfielders. This was started by CP who of course paid the price by getting sacked. How the hell Bond didn’t recognise this and recruit better in the summer I will never know. He could have got almost any combative midfielder and no nonsense defender from league two or the conference and we’d be better off than we are now.

The recruitment has been abysmal.

To be fair to Bond, I think he did recognise this and attempted to strengthen those areas, unfortunately he couldn't make wholesale changes due to players still being under contract

I don't know if it's me being over critical or if it's the frustration of the situation getting to me, but to me the tweets put out by Elvis and Humphrys kind of sum up a lot of what we are these days. Both make reference to the fact they're happy at their own personal moments last night, but to me, they should be saying bollocks to the fact I got an assist or goal because we lost AGAIN. I'm genuinely not sure I see many of the players actually hurting out on that pitch.
I think that is a bit unfair to be honest. I though Elvis' tweet was fine.

Humphrys is a striker, I want him to focus on scoring as many as possible and I thought he was quiet in the first half but worked a lot harder in the second. Perhaps something was said in the changing room.

There were a few moments when Humphrys drifted out wide and Goodship came inside and that enabled Humphrys to get onto the ball in space a bit more and he clearly loves to run with the ball and create chances for himself and his teammates.

Last edited:
Just listened to John McGriel on BBC Essex saying how unfit Theo was when he arrived and how hard he's been working to get properly match fit !!!!!!
He is loving it at our club, he has only played part of a game because he was struggling to keep up with our players for 90 minutes, but he seems to be getting there now and scoring goals too!

Two wins and we’re out of the relegation zone!!
Sorry that’s the most positive thing I can think of... and yes I know we don’t look like getting one win all season at the moment.
Need a massive change, starting with manager.

Watched on iFollow.

We defend too deep, all the time. There were several occasions when we cleared the ball and Shrewsbury just had carte blanche to pick it up in midfield with no resistance until they were about 25 yards from goal.

We need to press high and stop the supply. L1 players will not play Man City type football if they are hurried... we have seen this before and we used to do it very well. But now we don't seem to be anywhere near fit enough.

Several times Cox was exasperated because he was trying to close down and the ball was passed around him. When we do close down we do not get close enough to the man and stand a couple of yards off.

These are not bad players. There is no reason why we should be conceding 3's and 4's per match.

For me it comes down to the wide areas and central midfield, plain and simple.

Elvis had a bit of a mare, treated the ball as though it was square right from the first few seconds. Ralph maybe came back too early, looked unfit, kept being caught the wrong side.

Goodship is wasted out wide; saw very little from him.

There were however three big plusses -

1) We can score plenty of goals.
2) The return to form of Macca, and
3) The team showed character and didn't give up, as they did v Lincoln, Blackpool, MK Dons...

This last point is the biggest plus for me. But the players need to be fitter and run more, close down more, harry more, defend higher.

Then we'll stop conceding goals.
Absolutely this. I've been saying for quite a while that we need to push up and make it difficult for the opposition. Whoever we play it's the same; the opposition have far too much time and room to knock it about with barely any pressure. Cox tries his best to close down the opposition but how can he do it successfully if they have time to play it around him and exploit the gaps that we leave between attack and midfield?

It's glaringly obvious that we should squeeze the play higher up but neither Bond nor Waddock appear to have considered this.

Yep but in both of those games he went off injured before half time.
Yes, it was the Walsall game where he broke his leg and Hopper suffered his long-term injury, both before half-time.

I actually went to the BBC website to check all this and noticed that among the starters were Lennon, Demi, Coker, Hopper and, to a lesser extent, Bunn, who scored two that night. So four long-term injuries to key players. Also, that was the 15th game of the season and we were ninth and only two points off the play-offs. Injuries? All Powell's fault obviously...

Back