• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Shrewsbury Town 4-3 Southend United

Went last night and had a few long conversations with Shrew's fans in the pub before.

Side issue the pub Wino and the gang went too laid a coach on to the ground, for us and the Shrew's supporters mixed well. Two full coaches and £1.50 to the ground, Plus a G.B.G. Pub.

Anyway back on track. All of them said we can defend very well but cant score for toffee. It will be just a goal in it if any goals at all. My comment you obviously don't know Southend Utd. We score many goals, but our midfield does not have a enforcer, the central defence lay off a player and don't tackle. Plus individuals make unbelievable mistakes after impressing all game.
Also Informed them It will be 3 all, or 4-3 to either side, probably Shrew's. Just watch us in front of goal especially Hump, who was on loan at Shrew's and impressed them. They were surprised he signed for us. He will do the business.
However watch the other end we wont do the business.
Sorry to say I said so, but if I can see and predict this, why oh why cant we just pack the defence and midfield and not be so nice, Elvis could have bought the player down when he lost the ball for the last goal, and I think everyone else did the same for every goal.

Get nasty, and don't let them pass, Don't say we wont concede a free kick, if the table's are turned the opposition would bring our players down, why don't we. Not in the rules but everyone does it but us.
We would not concede half the goals if we get nasty.

What is good for me is we are still scoring goals for fun, however scoreing six goals in last two games and one point. It says everything. Football is all about opinions. People behind me last night slagging Oxley. Christ its not his fault its those very nice statue's in front of him.
Its simple score up the defence (too me Lennon looks a centre half but in looks only). Midfield have at least one enforcer and don't let them pass. Defence be nasty.!! We will then and only then avoid relagation.

Went last night and had a few long conversations with Shrew's fans in the pub before.

Side issue the pub Wino and the gang went too laid a coach on to the ground, for us and the Shrew's supporters mixed well. Two full coaches and £1.50 to the ground, Plus a G.B.G. Pub.

Anyway back on track. All of them said we can defend very well but cant score for toffee. It will be just a goal in it if any goals at all. My comment you obviously don't know Southend Utd. We score many goals, but our midfield does not have a enforcer, the central defence lay off a player and don't tackle. Plus individuals make unbelievable mistakes after impressing all game.
Also Informed them It will be 3 all, or 4-3 to either side, probably Shrew's. Just watch us in front of goal especially Hump, who was on loan at Shrew's and impressed them. They were surprised he signed for us. He will do the business.
Sorry to say I said so, but if I can see and predict this, why oh why cant we just pack the defence and midfield and not be so nice, Elvis could have bought the player down when he lost the ball for the last goal, and I think everyone else did the same for every goal.

Get nasty, and don't let them pass, Don't say we wont concede a free kick, if the table's are turned the opposition would bring our players down, why don't we. Not in the rules but everyone does it but us.

What is good for me is we are still scoring goals for fun, however scoreing six goals in last two games and one point. It says everything. Football is all about opinions. People behind me last night slagging Oxley. Christ its not his fault its those very nice statue's in front of him.
Its simple score up the defence (too me Lennon looks a centre half but in looks only). Midfield have at least one enforcer and don't let them pass. Defence be nasty.!! We will then and only then avoid relagation.

All sounds very much like Kevin Bonds plan at Wycombe when 3-1 up with 20 mins to go.....and got ****ing crucified for it!!!!

We don't need to bring in any new strikers but we are 4 players and a good management team away from being half decent. Of those who played last night, 3 should never play for us again and 1 who is just about worth persevering with needs to start learning again from scratch. The 4 all play regularly, this season and last and let us and themselves down every time. We and they know who they are. Nuff said

A new keeper
Who has been scouting these players? Lennon shaughnessy ridgewell ralph etc. Not too long ago we had a defence of demitriou Ferdinand Thompson and Coker with a midfield of Leonard Timlin and Atkinson. Solid and worked their arses off. We've gone downhill so quickly.
a Lot on here wanted them gone not so long ago main problems we have to replace keepers and Levi’s is a good player good enough for higher up I blame Ron what was he doing on the touch line

Leonard Tomlinson Atkinson. -

3 midfielders

now we play Mantom and Hamilton and Goodship and Macca wide ..

As a Minimum you need 3 midfielders

- wtf no-one can see this?

Essentially last night played 4 forwards - Humps, Cox. Goodship, Macca ..

It’s blooming obvious what’s wrong !!!!!!!

Leonard Tomlinson Atkinson. -

3 midfielders

now we play Mantom and Hamilton and Goodship and Macca wide ..

As a Minimum you need 3 midfielders

- wtf no-one can see this?

Essentially last night played 4 forwards - Humps, Cox. Goodship, Macca ..

It’s blooming obvious what’s wrong !!!!!!!

Agree you need 3 central midfielders (one can be a wide midfielder tucking in) to usually be competitive in this division.

However if those three includes the likes of Hamilton you're still going to struggle.

I never expected to be at the stage where I'd say we miss Gary Deegan and Will Atkinson!

umm -

the point I was making that neither Goodship nor Macca nor Cox are midfielders so we have in effect selected only two players are defined role is as a midfielder. That why I said proper.

I was not commenting on the individual ability or performance of either player.

It probably a bit of subtle point for someone like you to understand but I accept you simply did not understand. I don't mind your unpleasant comment "drivel" after all a lot of people in this country actually read the Sun.

Never read the sun , people like me ?? Ok bigot have a good night sulking

Heard from quite a few people tonight that Ron Martin has said that the stadium application has been accepted...
Ah Max is there anything else you can tell us?
Easy chaps that sort of talk is premature. There's a pretty comprehensive precis from The big Dady here. So if you want to discuss it further that's the place to go. That way this one can continue to be the post match thread.:Winking:

https://www.shrimperzone.com/forums/threads/stadium-update-please.84485/page-18#post-2178215

I agree and have been saying this for ages (since last season), we need to learn to cheat, be nasty, mean and stop being absolute walk overs! Other teams make their fouls in non dangerous positions on the pitch e.g. the opposition half. This makes bookings less likely and breaks up play, we need to do the same!

Clubs at our level have to take a chance on players, some pay off lots don't!

Your not taking a risk with Theo he will score goals for you.....If you use him correctly.

He is very good pressuring the last defender and reads the off-side well and has pace. A target man who can flick the ball on, a midfielder with a few decent through balls or clipped into the box would help, We haven't had anyone who can do that for quite some time which is why we are where we are.

I agree and have been saying this for ages (since last season), we need to learn to cheat, be nasty, mean and stop being absolute walk overs! Other teams make their fouls in non dangerous positions on the pitch e.g. the opposition half. This makes bookings less likely and breaks up play, we need to do the same!

Peter Clarke and Fleetwood didn't:Smile:

Your not taking a risk with Theo he will score goals for you.....If you use him correctly.

He is very good pressuring the last defender and reads the off-side well and has pace. A target man who can flick the ball on, a midfielder with a few decent through balls or clipped into the box would help, We haven't had anyone who can do that for quite some time which is why we are where we are.
We have all of those with players who are very quick on both sides of the pitch both in midfield and defence. He is enjoying playing with his mate Frank Nouble who seems to have found a new lease of life playing for us.

Back