• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Official Match Thread Shrewsbury Town v Southend United

I will say I wont ever run down evis because of the effort he puts in every week

But are you not making scapegoats by what you say?

No that’s my point I’m looking for consistent tangible reasons for what’s wrong not the rush of blood knee jerk reaction of players who are in then out then on then off and it’s always the same ones that get blamed for what’s wrong....

We’ve conceded 24 goals in 8 games and much of the blame has been leveled at players like Blackman who’s started 2!!!!!

No that’s my point I’m looking for consistent tangible reasons for what’s wrong not the rush of blood knee jerk reaction of players who are in then out then on then off and it’s always the same ones that get blamed for what’s wrong....

We’ve conceded 24 goals in 8 games and much of the blame has been leveled at players like Blackman who’s started 2!!!!!
That’s fair enough, I also don’t want scape goats as it doesn’t help anything, it’s actually the opposite.

I offered up the fact that he made our first goal. He did some good stuff but made more mistakes which proved costly. He wasn't on his own there though.

Agreed but his bad stuff was very, very frequent and very, very costly tonight. His defending was not football league standard. He is a defender first and foremost.

I will say I wont ever run down evis because of the effort he puts in every week

I don't think any of the posters have run him down (apologies if I missed it!)? Of course we shouldn't run him down - or string him up or anything else like that.

He had a poor night - a very poor night - defensively. Turning a blind eye to that isn't going to help.

Goals.make the difference if humphrys had no goals and cox did things would be said the other way. Its all about confidence.

Personally I find humphrys shooting from Long range alk the time annoying when others are in better positions.

Not a fan of either personally, cox has been good but years will catch up with you in the end.

Basically the whole team is below par

Humphrys has so far scored 5 goals in 9 appearances this season.

Last year, he scored 5 in 10.

What specifically are you not a fan of?

Humphries is class and will only get better look at the size of him pace power and can he hit a ball .He could hit 20 goals this season

I’m sorry but I don’t rate him and if he’s a holding midfielder he’s failing, badly. Agreed though there ain’t much better on the bench. We look doomed at the minute.

he has no-one alongside him - Hamiltons is a learner - macca is wide - Goodhip/Cox are forwards -

Humphrys has so far scored 5 goals in 9 appearances this season.

Last year, he scored 5 in 10.

What specifically are you not a fan of?
Having seen him play for Fulham and Southend i am not a fan of his lack of team play and his lack of helping the team out pressing etc. He did it Saturday for the first time but other than that he hasn’t. He scores goals yes but there is more to it that’s that, if a team is struggling then all 11 players have to work hard.

Re cox, sp you can see its not just a Humphrys thing, this season he seems to be not at the races, could be not fit but he looks to have lost a yard of pace and not pressing like he used to do. He always closed down every defender, said to my son that’s what makes him awkward as he gives no one any time. Could be he has been played woefully out of position but he needs to get back to the leading scorer of the last 3 years and soon,

If Humphrys does as he did Saturday and cox plays as he did last season (when everyone was saying how good he was) then we have a strike force to push us up the table. However as I have said many times it isn’t just one player its the whole team all 11 and subs coming on that need to look at themselves and improve.

Replaced Timlin, Wordsworth and Wright with Dieng, Mantom and Hyam

But he used to play for us and Hopper got injured so we cant criticise his recruitment

Powell's recruitment in the 2018 summer is definitely what started this kamikaze fall to League Two.

Having seen him play for Fulham and Southend i am not a fan of his lack of team play and his lack of helping the team out pressing etc. He did it Saturday for the first time but other than that he hasn’t. He scores goals yes but there is more to it that’s that, if a team is struggling then all 11 players have to work hard.

Re cox, sp you can see its not just a Humphrys thing, this season he seems to be not at the races, could be not fit but he looks to have lost a yard of pace and not pressing like he used to do. He always closed down every defender, said to my son that’s what makes him awkward as he gives no one any time. Could be he has been played woefully out of position but he needs to get back to the leading scorer of the last 3 years and soon,

If Humphrys does as he did Saturday and cox plays as he did last season (when everyone was saying how good he was) then we have a strike force to push us up the table. However as I have said many times it isn’t just one player its the whole team all 11 and subs coming on that need to look at themselves and improve.

Right.

Alex Revell was one of the hardest working strikers I’ve ever seen at Roots Hall. Yet he was judged on his goal scoring ability, and that wasn’t very good.

Blair Sturrock was nothing, if not a workhorse up front. He was judged on his goal scoring ability, same as Revs.

Matt Harrold always put a shift in, but he got lambasted for his goal scoring ability.

Only at Southend, can we discover a young, English striker, who has a goal scoring ratio of 1 in 2, for a team who avoided relegation by 3 minutes, hasn’t won a single league game all season....... and still find ways to moan about him.

As @Ayrshire Blue said, imagine what he could do in a good team.

Back