• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Prosser in for Williams, Deegan in for Cassidy and Shaq in for Atkinson. Can see us being on the wrong end of a hiding unfortunately.

are we an average team in this league? our position would suggest not and we average less than a goal a game conceded. I'm not sure the point you are trying to make? Surely we would need an even more heroic rearguard if we played 4-4-2? You are also one of the most vocal critics when it comes to our lack of goals, playing an open game would surely increase their chances of scoring and like you have said many times you don't back us to score more than 1 maybe 2 a game.

Indeed, if we do play 442, and we may then we are going to be far more stretched in the middle. The Shrewsbury midfield stretched us enough at home when we had 3 central midfielders let alone 2.

Trying to win the game by not worring about how many they score and simply scoring more than them is not a wise tactic.

Even if we werent struggling to score goals you cant expect to score 2 or 3 regularly away from home against the top teams.

We won the last game. We will keep an unchanged side. That is the extent of Brown's tactical nous I'm afraid. Personally I'd have Prosser in for Binnom-Williams because James Collins is probably the best striker in this division and we will need to be watertight at the back. I'd also consider Deegan to do a job on Ryan Woods.

Neither of these things will happen. We will stay unchanged. And if we win while unchanged I will doff my cap to Brown and admit I was wrong.

Prosser in for Williams, Deegan in for Cassidy and Shaq in for Atkinson. Can see us being on the wrong end of a hiding unfortunately.

No thank you, Williams is maturing into a decent centre half. I'd love to see him play alongside Barrett at some point.

We won the last game. We will keep an unchanged side. That is the extent of Brown's tactical nous I'm afraid. Personally I'd have Prosser in for Binnom-Williams because James Collins is probably the best striker in this division and we will need to be watertight at the back. I'd also consider Deegan to do a job on Ryan Woods.

Neither of these things will happen. We will stay unchanged. And if we win while unchanged I will doff my cap to Brown and admit I was wrong.

If it ain't broke don't try fix it.

Browns tactical nous won the last 3 and not lost in 8

Although we beat them at home , I thought they were one of the best sides we've faced at Roots Hall this season , with Woods really making them tick.
Not sure if I'm correct or not , but I think Shrewsbury are the only side in the top 4 Leagues who are unbeaten at home ?
Will be a massive result if we could beat them , but I think we have a decent chance if everyone is on their game.

With a full squad available and allowing for a couple of favourites being out of form the early starting line up Shrimper Zone preference seems to be:

Bentley

White - Thompson - Barrett - Coker

Worrall - Deegan - Timlin - Weston

Corr - Piggott

With a strong bench to back up I could go with this, but we all know that' not going to happen. :unsure:

Brown has played more different sytems than Tilson and Sturrock put together.

There is the age old saying stick with a winning side, but Brown has shown plenty of times he will adapt tactics, whether you agree they are successful is another thing.

I dont think we will see the same 11 personally.

With a full squad available and allowing for a couple of favourites being out of form the early starting line up Shrimper Zone preference seems to be:

Bentley

White - Thompson - Barrett - Coker

Worrall - Deegan - Timlin - Weston

Corr - Piggott

With a strong bench to back up I could go with this, but we all know that' not going to happen. :unsure:

Thats the 442 Id go with. I wouldnt be surprised to go 451, but Im not sure who would play up front in that situation,Corr may be more suited than Pigott

One thing is certain if we play the same as we did v York we will be slaughtered.

No changes for me and this is a game we can win.
I think they have signed Tyrone Barnett, making them stronger than ever.
They are unbeaten at home, so time for that record to go.:smile:

Got some Brownie points so going to this and and a new ground for me, although went to the old one many times.
Remember the boat plucking the ball out of the river behind the stand

They are by far the best team who have been at Roots Hall and i think will confirm my choice as Champions.
We have to go for a point but hope for three. Only way to do that will be a smash and grab
If we go too attacking they will batter us. So i would go 4-5-1 JUST for this game.
Bring in Degnan and play him to protect the defence, and either Adam or Luke for Willams for the experince.
Put Hurst and Worrall in midfield too counter attack when we can, playing either side of Leonard and Timlin
With just Piggy up front Bazza to come when he is knackard

Bentley
White Barratt/Prosser Thompson Coker
Degnan
Hurst Timlin Leonard Worrall
Piggott

Subs P.Smith. Binnon-Williams Prosser/Barratt Atkinson Weston Coulthirst Cassidy

Would be very happy with a point here - they have two of the top scorers in the league and have just added Barnett to their strikeforce. Definitely the sort of game where you need Deegan. I'd bring in Deegan for Leonard and Payne for Cassidy to play behind Piggott.

Chesterfield two years ago will do, back foot for 80 mins then a tomlin breakaway and we celebrate in the snow!

Going 451 is a little negative for me. Yes they're a good side but going there to defend a draw won't work. We need the mindset of we want to win this and show the league who we really are after poor games vs WW and Luton. I would only consider making the change to bring in barrett to mark Collins with his experience. Stick to 442, atkinson does well getting back as does worrall.

Chesterfield at home last season, weren't they the best side in the league? Didn't we win 3-0? AT HOME?!
Millwall at home last season, weren't they a championship side? Didn't we win 4-1? (AT HOME AGAIN?!)

We didn't go into those two games fearing defeat, we were fearless and as a result spanked the opposition. We are on a good run, let's go for the win!

Massive game for us and will really show whether we are going to be play off candidates or automatic promotion/title chasers. If he is fit I would love to see Barnard on the bench to give us another striker option and if he does go for 2 strikers Corr and Piggy is a must. Cassidy hasn't done a lot and maybe better as an impact player. I'd love us to win this one but with their unbeaten home record it's not going to be an easy one.

Brown has declared that this is not 'a must win game'.....expect the bus to be parked, with the handbrake fully on.

I would go with Prosser over Barrett for this one. Would prefer two CB's who have played together before over a brand new partnership for this game. Prosser and Thompson did very well at RH against Shrewsbury earlier in the season. We must try and get the lad Woods quiet as well

Woods - the no 4, Scholes look-a-like, yes? Agreed, now this is the type of role I feel that Deegan is suited too, nullifying/terryfing talented players such as him (a'la Banton of Plymouth).

Back