• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Not sure why people want to replace Williams. I thought he was our best player against Pompey and no worse than the others v York.

If people are insitent on changing the centre back pairing then I would bring in Prosser for Thompson. Don't worry Adam you'll get your turn soon

Chesterfield two years ago will do, back foot for 80 mins then a tomlin breakaway and we celebrate in the snow!

Going 451 is a little negative for me. Yes they're a good side but going there to defend a draw won't work. We need the mindset of we want to win this and show the league who we really are after poor games vs WW and Luton. I would only consider making the change to bring in barrett to mark Collins with his experience. Stick to 442, atkinson does well getting back as does worrall.

Chesterfield at home last season, weren't they the best side in the league? Didn't we win 3-0? AT HOME?!
Millwall at home last season, weren't they a championship side? Didn't we win 4-1? (AT HOME AGAIN?!)

We didn't go into those two games fearing defeat, we were fearless and as a result spanked the opposition. We are on a good run, let's go for the win!

Agree with you.

Go there and give them a game by forcing them to defend.

Interesting one this, and I see both sides of the argument.

For me, as we have won the last 3, we have give ourself the opportunity to go to Shrewsbury and have a go.

If we lose, we still have 9 points from 12 - which I would have taken.

If we can win, it will really close the gap on a top 3 place a set down a marker.

I won't particularly complain which ever way PB chooses to go.

I however, think AB needs to come in at the back, I don't think the young partnership of AT and JBW would be wise here...

Not sure of the clamoring for Barrett at CB. Prosser must be ahead of him in the pecking order. As experienced as Barrett is, he has been unfit, and not played for about a month.

I personally would bring in Prosser for Williams, as I think that Williams, as good as he has been at CB (better than LB!), I think this game will be too much for him at the moment.

Not sure about bringing in Weston for Atkinson either, yes it will improve us pace wise on the counter, but will weaken it defensively by losing Atkinson.

Deegan back in? Maybe, as Leonard and Timlin were poor against York, but both did well against Portsmouth the week before?

Corr or Couthirst in for Cassidy? Not been impressed with Cassidy so far, but you would hope he is due a goal, but how long do you stick with him in that hope? He would be more mobile than Corr, but then Corr might hold the ball up better if we are under pressure at the back?

PB has many headaches regarding this Saturday, and with no injuries, Barnard, Bolger and Barrett might not even make the bench!

Its days like that I am glad I don't play football manager anymore. :nope:

Got some Brownie points so going to this and and a new ground for me, although went to the old one many times.
Remember the boat plucking the ball out of the river behind the stand

They are by far the best team who have been at Roots Hall and i think will confirm my choice as Champions.
We have to go for a point but hope for three. Only way to do that will be a smash and grab
If we go too attacking they will batter us. So i would go 4-5-1 JUST for this game.
Bring in Degnan and play him to protect the defence, and either Adam or Luke for Willams for the experince.
Put Hurst and Worrall in midfield too counter attack when we can, playing either side of Leonard and Timlin
With just Piggy up front Bazza to come when he is knackard

Bentley
White Barratt/Prosser Thompson Coker
Degnan
Hurst Timlin Leonard Worrall
Piggott

Subs P.Smith. Binnon-Williams Prosser/Barratt Atkinson Weston Coulthirst Cassidy
Not a bad call this one but they wouldn't let Corr come on if he wasn't on the bench!
Worrall and Hurst in their correct positions please and there is no reason whatsoever to leave out B-Williams for a clearly inferior defender!

We are on a great run, play some lovely attacking football away from home, have the best away record in the league. Why are we so worried about them, im sure their fans are probably looking at this game thinking similar. Records are there to broken, why cant we be the first to beat them at home this season. If we have aspirations of going up this season, this is exactly the type of game to get a positive result in. 4-4-2 has worked well of late, if it aint broke to try to fix it.

I would stick with the formation but bring in Corr for Cassidy, Deegan for Leonard and defo Barrett for Williams. Certainly in Corr and Barrett situ it offers more experience in what will be a very tough game. Sit back we will be punished. Go for it and who knows.

Brown's interview suggests that there are changes afoot. Although, he does also speak about playing 2 up top in a trial interclub game at Canvey. Maybe it is a change of formation.

Now is not a time for naivety. We have performed well defensively at home recently with some great shut out performances. This is one of our strengths. We should be looking to nullify their potent attacking threat and play on the counter attack. The longer the game goes on without them scoring the more frustrated they will become and there is a chance for us to pinch it.

Whilst 1 point is never as attractive as 3 we have to assess the table in a few respects. This side have the strongest home record in the league and are currently top of the pile. This is a test for us. Not a time to start getting fancy and trying to outscore them when we have found goals hard to come by all season. There is still a long way to go this season. We should look to maintain our unbeaten run and draw the positives from that. We would still be right in contention and not be losing ground.

This game is all about a professional performance. Going to their ground and putting in the hard yards and walking away with something to smile about. A point would satisfy our needs. They will be wary of our threat but keeping defensively strong in this game is an absolute must and I feel our formation and tactics should be tailored to that and in the last third of the game we start to look to pick gaps as they try attacking us more and their legs get weary.

Wouldn't be surprised if we go 451 with deegan coming in ...

I'd love to stay 442 and put a real statement of intent down by going there and trying to win the game

There's nothing in the rules to say you can't try and win the game and play 4-5-1. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

If we play Thompson and Binnom-Williams again, I think we will lose. I think both will become good defenders, but not playing with each other as I think there needs to be a more experienced head to partner one of them.

I agree...Shrewsbury are a good side and they will need to focus 100% on the game. The other stuff can wait for the post match bath.

I am genuinely torn for this one....Our away from suggests we should carry on as usual. But is not losing more important than winning on this occasion?? Going to our organised hard working set up that has seen us concede so few goals.

The sky is red I don't understand it's past midnight and I can still see the land

1-2,2-1,....it will be close

I am genuinely torn for this one....Our away from suggests we should carry on as usual. But is not losing more important than winning on this occasion?? Going to our organised hard working set up that has seen us concede so few goals.

We have used 451 against the top half with very little reward,I don't envy Phil at all because he will either be the hero or the villain .

I hope Phil is brave and goes for it because nothing worse than defend and still lose.

With a full squad available and allowing for a couple of favourites being out of form the early starting line up Shrimper Zone preference seems to be:

Bentley

White - Thompson - Barrett - Coker

Worrall - Deegan - Timlin - Weston

Corr - Piggott

With a strong bench to back up I could go with this, but we all know that' not going to happen. :unsure:
Looking forward to this as a massive game and hav'nt been to this ground before. Would make two changes to this line up, Prosser in for Thompson and Payne in for Corr so that using Westons attacking ability and Paynes midfield understanding we cold try and play total football switching tactically between 4-4-2, 4-5-1, 4-3-3, 4-1-3-2 etc & vice versa as we need in an effort nulify and dominate. Would this be beyond us, though ? Answers on a postage stamp.

We are on a great run, play some lovely attacking football away from home, have the best away record in the league. Why are we so worried about them, im sure their fans are probably looking at this game thinking similar. Records are there to broken, why cant we be the first to beat them at home this season. If we have aspirations of going up this season, this is exactly the type of game to get a positive result in. 4-4-2 has worked well of late, if it aint broke to try to fix it.

I would stick with the formation but bring in Corr for Cassidy, Deegan for Leonard and defo Barrett for Williams. Certainly in Corr and Barrett situ it offers more experience in what will be a very tough game. Sit back we will be punished. Go for it and who knows.

im with you on this all day. They will be thinking that at some point they will be beaten at home, and will look at us having won eight away and think this could be the one. They make take a point also as we are within touching distance and this might just snuffle out into a stalemate, which I would take right now. Important not to lose and find ourselves seven off the top

With all the talk of a large contingent going to Stevenage later this month even with their exorbitant entrance prices, I'm somewhat surprised that there is not talk of us having a large fan following, to support in this big top of the table clash. It has the makings of being a top game with there unbeaten home record facing our impressive away form.Their entrance prices are also more reasonable with no increase on the day.

If your free Saturday then make the effort to get behind our lads and be part of the far more enjoyable away experience.

I note on the 'away travel forum' here that Travel Zone are doing pick-ups all around the area including Southchurch, Rochford, Rayleigh, and others along the 127 & A13 @ just £20 including drinks and goodies.

It would be a shame not to witness seeing us become the first team to win at their Greenhous ground this season!:thumbsup:

With all the talk of a large contingent going to Stevenage later this month even with their exorbitant entrance prices, I'm somewhat surprised that there is not talk of us having a large fan following, to support in this big top of the table clash. It has the makings of being a top game with there unbeaten home record facing our impressive away form.Their entrance prices are also more reasonable with no increase on the day.

If your free Saturday then make the effort to get behind our lads and be part of the far more enjoyable away experience.

I note on the 'away travel forum' here that Travel Zone are doing pick-ups all around the area including Southchurch, Rochford, Rayleigh, and others along the 127 & A13 @ just £20 including drinks and goodies.

It would be a shame not to witness seeing us become the first team to win at their Greenhous ground this season!:thumbsup:

For people with families its about making choices. Me and my son are both season ticket holders so attend every home game. We then have to be choosey about away trips due to cost and other family commitments. This year we have already done Northampton and Portsmouth and will do Stevenage, Wimbledon and Daggers, which are relatively cheap days out compared to a day trip to Shrewsbury. In 35 years i have been all over the place supporting this club and believe me i would love to now as well, but as i say i have to make choices and unfortunately Shrewsbury is not one this Saturday. Im guessing im not alone in this. Full credit to those that are able to travel to every away game.

Dont want to sit back on this game, we can't allow Shrewsbury to attack, its where they look strongest this year!

Jnr

175 Tickets sold up-to yesterday.

With regards to the turn out, we didnt do Portsmouth or Oxford as done way too much but are doing Shrewsbury. We mainly only do games when its a new ground for one of us really these days

why change a winning team, manager must reward the players by keeping faith in them as they have done the biz.

he can chop + change the subs + bring them on if needed

Ten of us going up for this one,with most looking to jump on a 1-1 outcome which will do very nicely for our homage to the real ales of Shrewsbury later on that evening,come on you mighty mighty Shrimpers.

I would personally be happy to walk away with a point, however i do see the opportunity to take all 3 points. Yes Shrewsbury are unbeaten at home, but our away record isnt the best in the league (it's good 2nd best to be exact, behind Wycombe). But we have let in as many goal's as we have scored, so sit on a 0 goal difference. Shrewsbury on the hand, have'nt lost at home this season and have only let in 5 goals so far and scored 29, leaving them with a +25 goal difference.

On the plus side, Im a believer. UTB

Back