• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mick

Life President
Tomorrow's match sees the youthful looking Gavin Ward from Oxted in Surrey returning to Roots Hall for a League match for the first time since he mishandled the match against Gillingham nearly two years ago.

He has returned since for a JPT match, against the same opposition last year, and that went much better; generally JPT games are lower key.

This is his fifth season as a League referee. He has refereed 6 home matches. His first three games went pretty much okay. They were the JPT defeat on pens by Dagenham, the 2-1 win against Hartlepool (who had Sam Collins sent off in that match) and, three season's ago, the 2-1 home win against Swindon.

The fourth one was also three seasons ago against Bristol Rovers when he declined to send off the opposing goalkeeper for a handball outside the area. Notwithstanding that decision, it wasn't the best of performances from Mr Ward.

The fifth home match was when he mishandled the Gillingham home game the season before last with an astonishingly inept display producing 9 yellow cards.

Since then he also took charge of our away win at Leyton Orient the Christmas before last.

He was an absolutely first class linesman. Lined in numerous Premiership matches and some full internationals. He is looking to replicate that success in the middle and therefore will probably be disappointed that he has been deservedly overtaken in the pecking order by several younger officials (even if they don't look younger). He had been trying to card his way back into recognition; I don't think it worked and hopefully he is rethinking his strategy.

His card count this season is a little worse than average with 29 yellows and 1 red from 9 matches. Nigel Lugg from Chipstead also in Surrey and Lee Betts from Great Yarmouth are assisting and ginger-haired schoolteacher Carl Fitch from Ipswich will be carrying out 4th official duties.

I don't friggin like this either.

He is useless and will ruin the game.

One of the most hated ref's in the football league. He even has his own hate page on Facebook!

This is the short guy who looks about 12 right ??

AKA Simon Fisher from Alan Partridge Knowing Me Knowing You

The fourth one was also three seasons ago against Bristol Rovers when he declined to send off the opposing goalkeeper for a handball outside the area. Notwithstanding that decision, it wasn't the best of performances from Mr Ward.
God, I remember that. From the subsequent free-kick he also disallowed a Peter Clarke header at the far post despite no opposition player being near him or even appealing for a foul. If it wasn't for a blinding save by Mildy in the last minute he would have cost us two points. I don't think I've ever seen a manager furiously confront the officials at the final whistle - as Tilly did - despite his team having won the game.

Only decent game I can remember from him was the pre season friendly at Dartford! I don't remember the JPT game too fondly although Mick seems to think he was ok then.

I don't friggin like this either.

He is useless and will ruin the game.

One of the most hated ref's in the football league. He even has his own hate page on Facebook!

So you look forward all week to what should be a great match between two top of the table sides, with supporters from both sides hoping for a good game of football and a win for their sides and who looks to be the main centre of attention - the bleedin ref.

So wrong that all the preparation not only by the teams but by so many fans at Southend and a nice gesture by tb will be upstaged by a ref that thinks we are all there to see him.

I'm not one to moan but...................:thumbdown:

Tomorrow's match sees the youthful looking Gavin Ward from Oxted in Surrey returning to Roots Hall for a League match for the first time since he mishandled the match against Gillingham nearly two years ago.

He has returned since for a JPT match, against the same opposition last year, and that went much better; generally JPT games are lower key.

This is his fifth season as a League referee. He has refereed 6 home matches. His first three games went pretty much okay. They were the JPT defeat on pens by Dagenham, the 2-1 win against Hartlepool (who had Sam Collins sent off in that match) and, three season's ago, the 2-1 home win against Swindon.

The fifth home match was when he mishandled the Gillingham home game the season before last with an astonishingly inept display producing 9 yellow cards.

Since then he also took charge of our away win at Leyton Orient the Christmas before last.

He was an absolutely first class linesman. Lined in numerous Premiership matches and some full internationals. He is looking to replicate that success in the middle and therefore will probably be disappointed that he has been deservedly overtaken in the pecking order by several younger officials (even if they don't look younger). He had been trying to card his way back into recognition; I don't think it worked and hopefully he is rethinking his strategy.

His card count this season is a little worse than average with 29 yellows and 1 red from 9 matches. Nigel Lugg from Chipstead also in Surrey and Lee Betts from Great Yarmouth are assisting and ginger-haired schoolteacher Carl Fitch from Ipswich will be carrying out 4th official duties.

If I recall correctly, at the time didn't you seem to think that was the correct decision though? Isn't red carding a keeper for handball only appropriate when he denies a clear goalscoring opportunity when in fact the Rovers keeper was nearer the dugout than the goal when he handled it, not only outside the box but almost outside the ground!

As you say, his linesmanship is first class. Personally I'd take him over Kettle any day. If he is bad he is equally bad for both sides so I don't see why we should be overly worried.

All credit to the ref last night, we hardly noticed him. I can't think of any wrong decisions and let the game flow. Please correct me if I am wrong but I am still over the moon.

All credit to the ref last night, we hardly noticed him. I can't think of any wrong decisions and let the game flow. Please correct me if I am wrong but I am still over the moon.
Me too Ken, he's just very fussy and officious - notice him going round every player on the pitch to make sure they were out of the box for the pens? He did well, he just irritates me!!!

Me too Ken, he's just very fussy and officious - notice him going round every player on the pitch to make sure they were out of the box for the pens? He did well, he just irritates me!!!

It is part of his job to ensure there is no encroachment. Overall he had a pretty good matchand did try to keep the game flowing. Just one question to those who had a better view, the penalty claim mid way through the second half looked a good shout from where I sit.

It is part of his job to ensure there is no encroachment. Overall he had a pretty good matchand did try to keep the game flowing. Just one question to those who had a better view, the penalty claim mid way through the second half looked a good shout from where I sit.
I know that Harry, just over egged it a bit for me,

Agree, he had a good game (although the Shrewsbury fans wont say that).

Got a few decisions wrong, but then they all do. However I did think that the 2nd penalty shout on Harris in the 2nd half was a definate pen.

Back