• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

He has a fair point except it should have been posted in The Pub. Many parts of redisential Southend Borough are wonderful. Many parts of the High Street and it's immediate surroundings should be razed to the ground and redeveloped. I was down the High St on Sunday and I was shocked. I was going to liken it to North Eastern Europe but I'm sure Gdansk is more salubrious.

See, told you it can't be that bad. Why else would the High Street now be half full of Eastern Europeans?

Enough of the sympathy. I joined this site a long time ago now and over the years many people have got into name calling about Basildon where many of our Southend fan base are either born, raised or both. It hasn't stopped many Southend fans getting stuck into Basildon. Parts of Basildon and parts of Southend are a dump - fact. Why worry what someone thinks about a town which has good and bad.

I am the one who posts as shrimperama on occasion on the col u board.

What you fail to mention is my subsequent post stating that parts of southend are really nice as are the surrounding villages etc.

I am also far from a col u lover as your post somehow manages to elude to.

When it comes to football clubs there is no comparison and im blue through and through. When it comes to towns, it saddens me to see the state of vic ave and the likes of the kursal and cluny sq. I lived in southchurch and now its changed for the worst. I also lived in westcliff for years near hamlet court road and saw so much nonsense that i moved further out.

I still go back to westcliff regularly and also into southend to shop.

If you dont think i have a right to have an opinion on a town that on and off have lived in for like 10 years +, then so be it.

As a now outsider living away from Southend I will say Victoria Avenue is a disgrace, it's one of the main thoroughfares into the town and it gives a horrible and wrong impression of it. Sadly though that area is what most visiting fans see.

But on this visit I have been impressed with many of the changes around Southend which have rejuvenated parts of it.

When I came back here 6 years ago as the recession was really biting I was genuinely concerned for the town, the high street was truly depressing and the seafront untouched for years.

But in the intervening years the whole University development, upgrades to the seafront and the magnificent airport development mean I think the town is on the up again.

It is my home town and always will be wherever I actually live, so beauty is in the eye of the beholder as far as I'm concerned. But even objectively I can say there are many far worse places around the country.

As someone who hasn't lived in Southend for 8 years, it's still pretty **** in places, but many areas seem to be picking up again (as Ron Manager mentions). Most places have ****** areas and Southend isn't any different. Hopefully FF and other developments will come on line and be the kick start that the town needs to bring businesses back to the area.

Back