• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Shrimpers Branch - Mekele, Ethiopia *UPDATE*

pickledseal

cowboy
Since I left Tigray in Northern Ethiopia it seems the Shimpers branch over there has grown. I went to Dublin this weekend to do some planning for the future of the streetchildren project and met up with some other volunteers who have been out there more recently that me. John knew all the about the SUFC items that were taken out by myself...

The flag had disappeared from the project, apparently the children were scared that their prized possesion would be stolen by a 't-ief' (they had problems with the 'th' sound!). They had a 'meeting' and decided it would be better off in one of their houses where they could all go and visit it...

In the 'house' of Gebremedhin (Geree) and his brother you can see the flag on proud display in this photo John took for me on one his home visits in Novemeber:

n36901685_35734279_1063.jpg

These house really exactly what you imagine and the fact that the boys are involved in the street children project means that they live in the slum areas in a poor area of a poor country. It's amazing the things they treasure.

Here is another picture of John with a load of the boys on a visit to see the flag:

n36901685_35734280_1684.jpg

The football shirts have still not been distributed as it is not time for the new clothes cycle yet (they get given 2 sets per year) however apparently word is out that there are a load of SUFC shirts and there have already been rows!

John, who is an Irish lad, not really into his 'soccer' told me in the 3 months there even he kind of began to feel an affection for the club as he heard so much about it! He also brought me some letters back from some of the children and after asking me about me and my family launched into telling me about how Southend were getting on and asking me if I thought they would get promoted this season.

All quite amazing, and thought a few of your would appreciated the latest installment from Mekele!

Back