• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Shrimpers (nightclub/venue)

Kosmo Vinyl

Centre Half
Full disclosure I am a West Ham fan (3rd generation so don't blame me !), I am also working on a project to produce a physical map of the post WW2 history of the musical culture of the Southend/Canvey/Leigh area. I am hoping to include a photograph or image of the exterior of Shrimpers club/venue at Roots hall from the late 1970's or early 80's, on the map. Can anyone help me with that ? Do any programme collectors know if they ran any ads in the Southend Programmes of the time ? Any answers or suggestions (keep them polite please) would be very much appreciated. Thank You.

That would be great N and it's a pleasure to forum meet you too. Is there a private message system on shrimperzone ? If so PM me when you have a chance.

Spent a good many Saturday nights down there and was the stoping point following an away game. In those days even the players came in after getting back and the place was always full
Some happy memories

I remember seeing Eddie & The Hot Rods play there on a Sunday night in early '79. I think it was called the 'Roots Rock Club' when they had gigs on. Lee Brilleaux and Sparko (from the Feelgoods) were at the bar - probably a sentence which has been used a few times.

All done I’ve been emailing Kosmo and thanks to Gary above we found a great pic of Alison Moyets band the Vicars outside the Shrimpers alas without Alison but still a great photo

Last edited:
Back