• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Zone Update Shrimpers Trust Statement

Shrimperstrust

Supporting SUFC
Shrimpers Trust Statements

The Shrimpers Trust has been working tirelessly since the news broke on Tuesday afternoon that Southend United FC faced the spectre of administration.

It is vital that the response to this announcement is swift, and the Trust have already sought advice from Supporters Direct, the supporters’ trust initiative. Contact is also being made with other trusts who have sampled the situation that the Shrimpers now find themselves in.

The Trust has been overwhelmed by the reaction of supporters and appreciates all of the offers of help made so far, whether directly or indirectly, and continues to monitor the various supporters’ messageboards. We will make further statements regarding precise action that can be undertaken, and we will be seeking volunteers to help us with this, so please visit our website, www.shrimperstrust.co.uk, for the latest details.

At 10:00pm tonight we have given up for the night waiting for Ron Martin to provide some information promised to us. As it stands the Trust plans to organise several fundraising initiatives including a collection on Friday night - this is against Mr Martin's wishes.

The Chairman of the Trust has spoken to Mr Martin again personally today and he has made several statements which may or may not ease supporters' minds however, mindful of the timing, the Trust has decided to move ahead with this statement and its plans whilst hoping the Club Chairman will provide more information in the morning.

As soon as more verifiable information is known the Trust will post more news.

Last edited:
The Shrimpers Trust has been working tirelessly since the news broke on Tuesday afternoon that Southend United FC faced the spectre of administration.

It is vital that the response to this announcement is swift, and the Trust have already sought advice from Supporters Direct, the supporters’ trust initiative. Contact is also being made with other trusts who have sampled the situation that the Shrimpers now find themselves in.

The Trust has been overwhelmed by the reaction of supporters and appreciates all of the offers of help made so far, whether directly or indirectly, and continues to monitor the various supporters’ messageboards. We will make further statements regarding precise action that can be undertaken, and we will be seeking volunteers to help us with this, so please visit our website, www.shrimperstrust.co.uk, for the latest details.

At 10:00pm tonight we have given up for the night waiting for Ron Martin to provide some information promised to us. As it stands the Trust plans to organise several fundraising initiatives including a collection on Friday night - this is against Mr Martin's wishes.

The Chairman of the Trust has spoken to Mr Martin again personally today and he has made several statements which may or may not ease supporters' minds however, mindful of the timing, the Trust has decided to move ahead with this statement and its plans whilst hoping the Club Chairman will provide more information in the morning.

As soon as more verifiable information is known the Trust will post more news.

Something you're not telling the Trust Ron? Don't feel the need to raise funds?

C'mon Ron, where's the money, under your bed stashed away? How much longer do you plan to play hard-ball?

Well done to the Trust, better to be pro-active on this.

Either Ron already has something in writing that guarantees that we get out of this mess or the man is a delusional buffoon. I sincerely hope it's the former but in the light of information that is coming to light all the time, I fear it may be the latter. :(

It appears The Trust is firmly on the ball with this, I applaud all concerned for their actions. Quite frankly whether or not a collection is held is none of Mr Martin's business. I'd assume any money collected would go into a Trust fighting fund and not to the club any way. This is money that will be needed to pick up the pieces of what may be left if the worst happens, at which point Ron Martin will be just a name in our history.

That's not an attack on Ron, it's just facing reality that we don't really know what's going to happen. Maybe he'll pull a rabbit out of the hat (and I really hope he does) but if he doesn't then we have to be prepared. Part of that is being pro-active now, not waiting till next week's hearing.

I have already received numerous messages of support from friends here in Australia. There is of course a big ex-pat community here who support all sorts of teams across the divisions in England. I'll keep them informed of any fundraising activities that are happening as they may be looking to help out with a donation if they can - however small it all helps.

Great work Paul and Co.

Can I draw your attention to the thread in the main Shrimpers Chit-Chat forum. Stan Collymore is looking to help, maybe worth tapping him up, as he has taken the time to post on here again...

Good work on being pro-active on this.

Ron not throwing his full weight behind the Trust on this has to indicate that he's got something up his sleeve, but regardless any efforts the Trust can make are appreciated by Southend United fans everywhere.

Statement Update - 28.10.09

Further to the statement issued by the Shrimpers Trust on the evening of Tuesday 27th September, the following information was discussed with Southend United Chairman Ron Martin earlier this evening (27.10.09) and he has just provided (11:35pm) the following bullets which have been slightly edited for context. Where possible, Mr Martin’s own words have been used in quotes to relay the sentiment.

Mr Martin is making progress on clearing the debt but Monday night’s “precipitous action by HMRC has meant condensing potentially six or seven weeks work into one and they are not issues to be rushed.”

Mr Martin would like to “do the honourable thing and discharge the debt rather than the Club seek to escape it through administration,” and he does not want the fans to raise money on the back of Tuesday’s announcement as he says, “Supporters pay for their season ticket and there shouldn't be any further necessity to put their hands in their pocket.” He told Trust chairman Paul FitzGerald that he would wish to reimburse any further investment.

Mr Martin is meeting with the potential administrator tomorrow “out of courtesy at their request. It’s not formal and means little.” He applauds supporters for being proactive and the next few days will determine whether that is needed.

Supporters will need to make their own mind up about some of these comments but from a Trust perspective we intend to continue with our own plans until such time as either the Debt is cleared or we are required to take some action in Administration.

All of the Trust Statements regarding the current financial plight SUFC finds itself in can be found on the Trust Website by clicking here.

Last edited:
Mr Martin is making progress on clearing the debt but Monday night’s “precipitous action by HMRC has meant condensing potentially six or seven weeks work into one and they are not issues to be rushed."

So translated, there is no master plan to get us out of this mess and it looks as though administration is now a nailed on certainty.

Six or seven weeks' work?! What a load of bull***t. The deadline was today and if we hadn't come up with the goods and HMRC had pursued the winding up order that could very well have been the end of us. By putting it off until next week, they are actually doing us a favour and giving us yet another stay of execution. It seems as though we don't have anywhere near enough money and administration is just around the corner. :(

Following the Trust's statement Mr Martin has asked that I post the chain of emails between Paul Fitzgerald and himself.

-------------

Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 23:21:56
To: Paul Fitzgerald
Subject: Re: Bullet Points [Scanned by Sophos]

No of course I didn't forget. I'm not going to make an issue of it at all, because I know being in business you will understand, but I have many matters to attend to with deadlines.

When we spoke I did say I would let you have 3 or 4 bullet points and having just arrived home was looking at them when your email arrived. I thought you planned to deal with this in the morning so thought providing I email you before close of play that would suffice.

Briefly commenting on what you say I would preface this a neutral stance.

1. Suggests that I have just woken up to this whereas its been around for months. By the time I cleared the debt in July 08 it was already growing again. So I wouldn't say that I spent the day etc....moreover "he is making progress but last nights precipitous action by HMRC has meant condensing potentially 6-7 weeks work into 1 and they are not issues to be rushed."

2. I would like to do the honourable thing and discharge the debt rather than the Club seek to escape it through admin.

3. What I said is that supporters pay for their season ticket and there shouldn't be any further necessity to put their hands in their pocket. I would as you say would wish to reimburse any further investment.

4. Meeting with them just out of courtesy at their request. It's not formal and means little.

6. You didn't spend long enough over dinner!

I to applaud supporters for being proactive and the next few days will determine whether that is needed.

Good night. R

-------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 18:26:27
To: Ron Martin
Subject: Bullet Points [Scanned by Sophos]

Ron

Did u forget.....?

Here's what I have just sent to the Committee and what will form the basis of our position

I spoke to Ron a little earlier and explained the fans frustration with the current position.

1) He has spent the day trying to negotiate out of this situation and has just 3 "minor" issues before he believes he will be in a position to clear the debt.
2) He states that it is his intention still to pay HMRC before next Week
3) He says that he does not want the fans to donate and that he would feel obliged to pay every penny back as it is the Club that owes the money
4) The proposed Administrator has already made contact and he is meeting them tomorrow
5) He says the Planning meeting on the 20th Nov (now scheduled for the 2nd of Dec) is not relevant and has no bearing on his ability to raise the funds
6) He promised me at 19:30 that he would send me 4 bullet points that I could use and release as a statement.....I'm still waiting

Whatever happens over the next few days - we (i.e. The fans) are not going to clear the HMRC debt - therefore we are not constrained by only having 7 days to deal with this matter. Money raised now and in the coming weeks will either be part of our Fighting Fund should we need it in Administration. Therefore we do not need to panic per se and I personally do not think we should use our energies this weekend in a panic fund raising sprint although I 100% appreciate the principle

If you want to add anything or indeed subtract let me know - before I make it into a Statement

Paul

It seems clear to me that if the club goes into administartion, and I believe it will, it will be under the control of RM and not HMRC.

The club owns no assets, they all belong to RM. Under these conditions there will be no other bidder for the club. The Trust would need to reach agreement with RM to lease/buy Roots Hall and then FF, before any "Trust ownership" would work.

I think this might appeal to RM in the long run and, as far as I am aware, with no Football Club there is no planning permission. This would mean Ron's assets are significantly devalued.

It is in our interests for the Trust to bring pressure on the council to ensure that the original planning requirements are adhered to i.e. no Club - no planning - no profit. This will force RM to consdier SUFC's future before his own - and that would be a first!

It seems clear to me that if the club goes into administartion, and I believe it will, it will be under the control of RM and not HMRC.

The club owns no assets, they all belong to RM. Under these conditions there will be no other bidder for the club. The Trust would need to reach agreement with RM to lease/buy Roots Hall and then FF, before any "Trust ownership" would work.

I think this might appeal to RM in the long run and, as far as I am aware, with no Football Club there is no planning permission. This would mean Ron's assets are significantly devalued.

It is in our interests for the Trust to bring pressure on the council to ensure that the original planning requirements are adhered to i.e. no Club - no planning - no profit. This will force RM to consdier SUFC's future before his own - and that would be a first!
Not necessarily - if a voluntary administration RM will potentially have influence and can arrange a pre-pack, but compulsory administration will lead to HMRC having influence.

ps. all hypothetically of course because administrators need to be independant so the above is blatantly untrue.

if Ron is bold enough to say that he doesn't want or need us to fundraise, then so be it. If people feel urged to give money, then give it to the Trust. Let's make sure we get behind the boys on Friday and do our part that way.

3. What I said is that supporters pay for their season ticket and there shouldn't be any further necessity to put their hands in their pocket. I would as you say would wish to reimburse any further investment.

Maybe folk would feel more comfortable "donating" their hard earned to the trust rather than giving directly to the club for it to seemingly disappear down a dark hole. If not donating directly, perhaps joining the Shrimpers Trust and do it that way via the membership fee per year.

It would help the trust be in a better position to be able to help the club if needed with additional funds available. Ironically the trust could have a "warchest" to help with the debt or the support of the club rather than the promised "warchest" the club had that they appear to have put somewhere but cant seem to find it!

So the best way to help both is perhaps:

1. Buy a ticket and go friday, support the team and the management.

2. Join the shrimpers trust.

Maybe folk would feel more comfortable "donating" their hard earned to the trust rather than giving directly to the club for it to seemingly disappear down a dark hole. If not donating directly, perhaps joining the Shrimpers Trust and do it that way via the membership fee per year.

It would help the trust be in a better position to be able to help the club if needed with additional funds available. Ironically the trust could have a "warchest" to help with the debt or the support of the club rather than the promised "warchest" the club had that they appear to have put somewhere but cant seem to find it!

So the best way to help both is perhaps:

1. Buy a ticket and go friday, support the team and the management.

2. Join the Shrimpers Trust.

That would help tremendously if people JUST did that.

Further to the statement issued by the Shrimpers Trust on the evening of Tuesday 27th September, the following information was discussed with Southend United Chairman Ron Martin earlier this evening (27.10.09) and he has just provided (11:35pm) the following bullets which have been slightly edited for context. Where possible, Mr Martin’s own words have been used in quotes to relay the sentiment.

Mr Martin is making progress on clearing the debt but Monday night’s “precipitous action by HMRC has meant condensing potentially six or seven weeks work into one and they are not issues to be rushed.”

Mr Martin would like to “do the honourable thing and discharge the debt rather than the Club seek to escape it through administration,” and he does not want the fans to raise money on the back of Tuesday’s announcement as he says, “Supporters pay for their season ticket and there shouldn't be any further necessity to put their hands in their pocket.” He told Trust chairman Paul FitzGerald that he would wish to reimburse any further investment.

Mr Martin is meeting with the potential administrator tomorrow “out of courtesy at their request. It’s not formal and means little.” He applauds supporters for being proactive and the next few days will determine whether that is needed.

Supporters will need to make their own mind up about some of these comments but from a Trust perspective we intend to continue with our own plans until such time as either the Debt is cleared or we are required to take some action in Administration.

All of the Trust Statements regarding the current financial plight SUFC finds itself in can be found on the Trust Website by clicking here.

Where does he get the idea that he had 'six or seven weeks' to find the money - the winding up hearing was scheduled for today - they had already given an extra month or so from the last hearing???

Where does he get the idea that he had 'six or seven weeks' to find the money - the winding up hearing was scheduled for today - they had already given an extra month or so from the last hearing???

Exactly. It's a bit rich to argue that HMRC are being unreasonable when we have already had months to come up with the money and have failed to do so. If they gave us more time, there is no guarantee whatsoever that we would be able to pay even after the 6 to 7 weeks so it has to stop sometime. Ron will have to be straight with everyone soon enough but it's not going to make nice reading when it finally does come. :(

Following the Trust's statement Mr Martin has asked that I post the chain of emails between Paul Fitzgerald and himself.

-------------

Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 23:21:56
To: Paul Fitzgerald
Subject: Re: Bullet Points [Scanned by Sophos]

No of course I didn't forget. I'm not going to make an issue of it at all, because I know being in business you will understand, but I have many matters to attend to with deadlines.

When we spoke I did say I would let you have 3 or 4 bullet points and having just arrived home was looking at them when your email arrived. I thought you planned to deal with this in the morning so thought providing I email you before close of play that would suffice.

Briefly commenting on what you say I would preface this a neutral stance.

1. Suggests that I have just woken up to this whereas its been around for months. By the time I cleared the debt in July 08 it was already growing again. So I wouldn't say that I spent the day etc....moreover "he is making progress but last nights precipitous action by HMRC has meant condensing potentially 6-7 weeks work into 1 and they are not issues to be rushed."

2. I would like to do the honourable thing and discharge the debt rather than the Club seek to escape it through admin.

4. Meeting with them just out of courtesy at their request. It's not formal and means little.

6. You didn't spend long enough over dinner!

I to applaud supporters for being proactive and the next few days will determine whether that is needed.

Good night. R

-------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 18:26:27
To: Ron Martin
Subject: Bullet Points [Scanned by Sophos]

Ron

Did u forget.....?

Here's what I have just sent to the Committee and what will form the basis of our position

I spoke to Ron a little earlier and explained the fans frustration with the current position.

1) He has spent the day trying to negotiate out of this situation and has just 3 "minor" issues before he believes he will be in a position to clear the debt.
2) He states that it is his intention still to pay HMRC before next Week
3) He says that he does not want the fans to donate and that he would feel obliged to pay every penny back as it is the Club that owes the money
4) The proposed Administrator has already made contact and he is meeting them tomorrow
5) He says the Planning meeting on the 20th Nov (now scheduled for the 2nd of Dec) is not relevant and has no bearing on his ability to raise the funds
6) He promised me at 19:30 that he would send me 4 bullet points that I could use and release as a statement.....I'm still waiting

Whatever happens over the next few days - we (i.e. The fans) are not going to clear the HMRC debt - therefore we are not constrained by only having 7 days to deal with this matter. Money raised now and in the coming weeks will either be part of our Fighting Fund should we need it in Administration. Therefore we do not need to panic per se and I personally do not think we should use our energies this weekend in a panic fund raising sprint although I 100% appreciate the principle

If you want to add anything or indeed subtract let me know - before I make it into a Statement

Paul

Three minor issues - well if they are only minor Ron I expect you will have resolved them before breakfast this morning!!!(being the exceptional businessman that you are!)

Back