• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Shrimpers Trust News SHRIMPERS TRUST SUPPORT FOR UKRAINIAN REFUGEES – YOUR HELP NEEDED PLEASE

Hoping mine arrives before next Monday, I'm bringing 3 Ukrainian refugee children to the game (they're living - with their mums - with a family from our church).

Some may say these kids have suffered enough, without inflicting Southend United on them, but hopefully it will be a positive result and they'll always have a soft spot for the Shrimpers!

Hoping mine arrives before next Monday, I'm bringing 3 Ukrainian refugee children to the game (they're living - with their mums - with a family from our church).

Some may say these kids have suffered enough, without inflicting Southend United on them, but hopefully it will be a positive result and they'll always have a soft spot for the Shrimpers!
One of our board members has dropped you a DM. We would be delighted to donate a scarf to each of the 3 Ukrainian refugee children joining you.

Let us know if this works for you and we will make arrangements with you.

We hope they enjoy the trip to the Hall.

Great to see that folk are starting to get their scarves now and that feedback on them is good too.

Just realised I promised on Saturday to provide an update. One was posted on SUEPA Facebook/Twitter yesterday eve but for those that don't do that this is the post (tho without the pics as I could not get the image size reduced sufficiently for SZ to upload them)

"Sit down with a nice cup of tea, beer, Jaeger bomb or whatever. Here is a little story.
On Saturday our depleted but buoyant SUEPA 'Shrimpers Trust Ukrainian Appeal Scarves' selling team congregated at the Blue Boar at noon (and, by the way, that is a really great place to start).
From left to right in the first pic is ex Southend player Peter Daley (what an effort he made, travelling four hours just to get there), Jim Leeder, Nobbler, Andy Leeder, Trust Chairman Fitz, Alan Perry, Judith ("that lovely enthusiastic lady selling by the West Stand" as someone on SZ has said), and Andrew Perry. Later on we were joined by another former Southend player Steve Clark (see last pic).
It had been a long road to get to that point. Scarf sales started online back in the second week in March. You know by now the story behind all that, the need for help sadly continues to grow daily with no end currently in sight. The appeal has been really well received, it is unique as far as we can tell, though a couple of other clubs have now copied it.
The response by Shrimper fans has been heart-warming. Online sales had rose to over 300 by the end of March, with one kind Polish person agreeing to underwrite a minimum of 450 sales from all sources (his kind gesture won’t be needed in the end we are pleased to say). Every scarf sold brings one Ukrainian refugee to a place of safety in the UK, so when you get to wear your scarf you know that is a symbol which represents one person YOU personally have helped to bring to a place of sanctuary from the horrors of war.
The manufacturer World Retro (part of the Chablais Sport Group) have been keeping online purchasers up to date re the progress of getting their scarf to them. We would like to add our thanks to you for your patience here, the process has not been easy with a few hiccups along the way, but online purchasers will receive their scarves very soon.
We would also like to go on record to express our admiration of the World Retro folk – what they are doing in not only providing the scarves at cost but more importantly in the detailed process of bringing refugees to the UK is nothing short of fantastic. They are doing it all totally voluntarily – it is, quite simply, beyond belief.
Our part in this has been at the ‘front end’ in coming up with the idea and then publicising and helping to manage it all. It has not always run smoothly – try waiting in over four consecutive days for a scarves courier (when you really need to be elsewhere) and when they do show up they bog off again without delivering (it’s too long a tale for here) and you’ll gather it has had its issues. But we know that any frustration we might have felt is but a pin drop compared to the horrors the refugees we are trying to help have experienced, so that sobering thought easily motivates us.
The scarves for selling at the ground arrived in the end at SUEPA HQ only on Friday. However, as by Thursday eve we could not be confident we would get that delivery, ‘Plan B’ (in reality it was probably ‘Plan W’) was put in to operation (which it was then too late to stop). Our World Retro contact flew from Poland to Luton very early Saturday morning with a case full of scarves and was met by Chairman Fitz – only to find that the airline had ‘lost’ the baggage for the whole plane (jeez). It turned up in the end and we received the supply by noon, adding to that which the courier had finally got to us a few hours before.
Anyway, back to Saturday and the ‘big day’. Rearranging the date (initially it was to be v Wealdstone on Good Friday) was one of the reasons that our selling team number was severely depleted. However, Blue Boar landlady Michelle Gargate provided some great hospitality to set us up for our endeavours, and so off we then went to the club shop, outside the East and West Stands, and to also prowl around the hospitality areas. Managing a SUEPA match day event (see post yesterday) was a further distraction (but a wonderful one), and the sun came out.
We were again knocked-back by the generosity of Shrimper fans – over 100 further scarves were sold on the day and some generous donations received too, so that’s over 100 more refugees we can help. We also received some great feedback re the quality of the scarves, and it was lovely to see so many being worn at the match itself.
A small supply remains unsold and will be held in the Shrimpers Bar for sale before the match tomorrow, and then if any left also at the two home games in May. They also remain for sale online.
It would be great maybe when we get to the final home game v Torquay to see a huge show of the scarves from all fans who have bought one (whether online or at the ground), we’ll maybe have a think as to how we can stage something around that.
So, all power to you all, this has been yet another Shrimpers Trust project which shows that Shrimper fans are fantastic."

On another update, just had a call from World Retro to say that some refugees helped by our appeal are being flown over this weekend (to Plymouth). So the help is real and it's happening.

UTB

This is great. Awesome.

I hope the children and of course you enoyed the win this evening and that you were able to wear your scarf!

Every blessing to you, the family from your Church who are hosting the three childen and their Mums, and of course your Church for the tangible and prayerful support that i pray they are giving.

:LoyalSupporter::LoyalSupporter::LoyalSupporter:

Ichthus

I hope the children and of course you enoyed the win this evening and that you were able to wear your scarf!

Every blessing to you, the family from your Church who are hosting the three childen and their Mums, and of course your Church for the tangible and prayerful support that i pray they are giving.

:LoyalSupporter::LoyalSupporter::LoyalSupporter:

Ichthus
Thank you - it’s next Monday they’re coming to the game - however I did indeed enjoy the win last night!

Dear All,

We will bring our scarves campaign to a close sometime next week so I thought you might appreciate an update.

The big news is that sales have now reached 500 - fantastic! So that is 500 Ukrainian refugees that can be helped to get to the UK and a place of safety. More on that in a mo,

Also we are pleased to say that the vast majority of you have now received your scarves. Courier etc delays have caused a problem and there do remain about 35 pre April ordered scarves and another 25 or so more recent ones to be posted out. I have been reconciling the lists with World Retro. The remaining scarves are in the process of being manufactured and for those who have not yet got them you should receive them by the end of May. However, for the ones who have been waiting the longest I can provide some help to get them to you earlier.

We have a small supply of scarves at the Shrimpers Trust stall in the Shrimpers Bar. If you have not yet received your scarf please PRIVATE MESSAGE me by no later than this Friday 13 May and I will reserve your scarf order for you - to pick up from the Shrimpers Trust stall in the Shrimpers Bar on the day of the match v Torquay this Sunday by no later than 2.30 pm prior to kick off. If you cannot pick it up I can post it to you the week after. If I receive more requests than the number of scarves held on the Trust stall priority will be given to those who ordered the longest time ago. I hope that in doing this it goes some way to helping and acknowledging your patience.

Anyway, I can also report that refugees are now being helped to the UK under our scheme - our World Retro contact even has two of them (and their dog) in his flat in Poland until the visas arrive. It is the visa issue that has been causing a lot of grief - the position is perhaps not as rosy as the government would like everyone to think, but procedures are now at least defined albeit protracted.

One recent refugee family helped was Anna, her son Denis, and daughter Alise, who have safely arrived in Plymouth. They escaped from Nikolaev, the location of a Russian advance between Kherson and Odesa. We understand that they have settled in quickly and well, with neighbours as well as the immediate local host family welcoming them as seen in the two pics in this post (we have their permission to use these pics).

One final thought I'd just like to test views on from you all. I was thinking of putting out on social media an invite for anyone who has their scarf to meet up wearing their scarf outside East Stand reception at 2.30 pm prompt on Sunday before the Torquay game for a group photo (I'll aim to bring SUEPA guest Steve Phillips with me). Might be a good way of showing our solidarity for the cause and a fitting way to end the campaign. What do you think?

As always, thanks to all that have taken part in this Shrimpers Trust initiative, your support really is appreciated by those that matter, namely the refugees (I receive many messages from World Retro about this).

Cheers, Andy

Ref 1.jpgRef 2.jpg

Dear All,

We will bring our scarves campaign to a close sometime next week so I thought you might appreciate an update.

The big news is that sales have now reached 500 - fantastic! So that is 500 Ukrainian refugees that can be helped to get to the UK and a place of safety. More on that in a mo,

Also we are pleased to say that the vast majority of you have now received your scarves. Courier etc delays have caused a problem and there do remain about 35 pre April ordered scarves and another 25 or so more recent ones to be posted out. I have been reconciling the lists with World Retro. The remaining scarves are in the process of being manufactured and for those who have not yet got them you should receive them by the end of May. However, for the ones who have been waiting the longest I can provide some help to get them to you earlier.

We have a small supply of scarves at the Shrimpers Trust stall in the Shrimpers Bar. If you have not yet received your scarf please PRIVATE MESSAGE me by no later than this Friday 13 May and I will reserve your scarf order for you - to pick up from the Shrimpers Trust stall in the Shrimpers Bar on the day of the match v Torquay this Sunday by no later than 2.30 pm prior to kick off. If you cannot pick it up I can post it to you the week after. If I receive more requests than the number of scarves held on the Trust stall priority will be given to those who ordered the longest time ago. I hope that in doing this it goes some way to helping and acknowledging your patience.

Anyway, I can also report that refugees are now being helped to the UK under our scheme - our World Retro contact even has two of them (and their dog) in his flat in Poland until the visas arrive. It is the visa issue that has been causing a lot of grief - the position is perhaps not as rosy as the government would like everyone to think, but procedures are now at least defined albeit protracted.

One recent refugee family helped was Anna, her son Denis, and daughter Alise, who have safely arrived in Plymouth. They escaped from Nikolaev, the location of a Russian advance between Kherson and Odesa. We understand that they have settled in quickly and well, with neighbours as well as the immediate local host family welcoming them as seen in the two pics in this post (we have their permission to use these pics).

One final thought I'd just like to test views on from you all. I was thinking of putting out on social media an invite for anyone who has their scarf to meet up wearing their scarf outside East Stand reception at 2.30 pm prompt on Sunday before the Torquay game for a group photo (I'll aim to bring SUEPA guest Steve Phillips with me). Might be a good way of showing our solidarity for the cause and a fitting way to end the campaign. What do you think?

As always, thanks to all that have taken part in this Shrimpers Trust initiative, your support really is appreciated by those that matter, namely the refugees (I receive many messages from World Retro about this).

Cheers, Andy

View attachment 20428View attachment 20429
Tremendous effort!
And nice to see the people who were able to benefit.
It puts recent gripes at our club into perspective.
Thanks for the scarf and the imagination behind the project.

That's great to see - they look happier than the host family!

I can't be where you said at 2.30 due to prior commitments.

Just a reminder to say that if you are in the small minority of folk who have not yet received your scarf as yet please PRIVATE MESSAGE me, ideally by 6.00 pm today (when I am finalising lists in prep for tomorrow) and I will do what I can to sort for you.

Hi "Suffolk Shrimper in Dorset" and indeed anyone else who maybe able to help,

I was again privileged to lead worship at my Church last Sunday and wore my Southend United / Ukrainian scarf as a Stole. This is what I said:

"My Stole

As most of you will probably know I am a Southend United fan, I also follow them on an internet fan forum called Shrimperzone. It was through the Zone that I learnt of these scarves - my Stole for today.

World Retro are a company in Poland who make retro football Club and International team shirts. They have made various different shirts dating back to the 1960’s, for The Shrimpers Trust to sell to fans, the official supporters club of Southend United.

As we know Poland, where World Retro are based, have taken on an amazing number of people fleeing from the War. It was therefore fitting that World Retro were able to produce these scarves, my Stole. And so quickly.

The man who organised this and drove from Dorset to Roots Hall to ensure that the scarves were available to sell at a home match a few weeks ago is known to me simply as ‘Suffolk Shrimper [now living] in Dorset’.

The scarf cost only £20. So far over 500 scarves have been sold.

It costs just £20 to bring a Ukrainian, who now has little or nothing in their homeland, to be brought to the safety that we enjoy on our little Island of Great Britain.

500 plus people rescued from the atrocities through this initiative alone.

It is sad but true that, at this moment in time at least, the price of a scarf is equal to the value of a Human life..."

At the end of Worship a number of people asked me if scarves were still available because they wanted to buy one for SUFC supporting family and friends.

So cutting to the chase...

...are there any,, and if so how might they purchase them?

Nick

Nick, thank you for that message. Lovely to hear.
The only place for scarves now to be purchased is online using the link mentioned in the very first post on this thread. We know that World Retro have another batch ordered for manufacture and the scarves via the link will remain available for as long as needed.
Thank you for your valued support for the Trust's scheme.
Cheers. Andy

Thanks Andy,

I have just reread your original post and will tell people this Sunday that scarves are still available exclusively through that website.

I'm sorry i didn't go back and reread it before. I should have simply read your post out at last Sundays Worship. Your words being so much more eloquent than mine.

Thankyou to you and everyone else who was involved. People often speak of Football Fans in a disparaging way. Yet Football can unite. And on this occasion we, through your imagination and determination, have enabled amazing and life changing things to happen.

As you said in that first post 'We cannot do everything, but we can do something'.

I believe that through you, we have done so much more than simply 'something'...

Nick

I've just posted out today the remaining scarves we had left over at the Shrimpers Bar to those who have been waiting some time - that leaves a handful of further 'older orders' (and a good few more recent ones) for which World Retro are in the process of getting sorted.

If in circa two weeks anyone does not have their scarf within the usual standard four week delivery window please email World Retro to enquire, tho if you do not get a quick reply please private message me and I will sort.

We will continue to sell scarves online, and from time to time when we receive pics etc of the refugees being helped or other newsy bits, will publish an update on this thread.

But I think this thread has now run its course on Chit Chat and I thank the MODS for allowing me to post it here which has been great in helping publicity - it can now I think be safely parked in the Shrimpers Trust forum.

All that remains to be said from me once more is thanks to you all for your support for what we would like to think has been a unique and hugely successful campaign, one which again demonstrates fan power and of course is yet another example of the great work done by The Shrimpers Trust. ??

20220515_171509.jpg

Back