• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

So Scott, when are TBV going to cough up the money they owe the Trust?.:unsure:

And one final thing, this is one of the reasons why the Trust very rarely post on SZ, everything we post is always pulled apart to the nth degree, even if it doesn't warrant it.

Scott if you really do believe SD are toothless why not contact all the Clubs that they have helped saved from oblivion in recent years.

And as always Scott, we can predict your wooden out of touch responses to anything we post.

And this is the reason why Ron Martin says nothing. Anything he says is always pulled apart to the nth degree, even if it doesn't warrant it.

Every single club, society or body has a few people that "do" and the onus of everything falls on those few people. The membership of that body will always contain a few people that moan or criticise but yet will not put themselves in the position where they do the work. Consequently the moaning eventually gets to the few that do the work - it has to, it's inevitable - to the point where some people will say "You know what, this is voluntary and I don't have to put up with this" and so they resign, leaving the onus of the load on even fewer people.

Their workload is increased, their time is limited, whatever needs to happen gets done more slowly (if at all) and the moaning increases. Eventually the few involved will give up the ghost and everything grinds to a halt and stops.

I am, by nature, not a joiner of things generally. If I am involved in something then I need to get my teeth into it and usually end up running or assisting in running whatever it is. No matter what it is, you can never please everyone and what makes me laugh is why on earth anyone not involved with the Trust would think that there is any entitlement to know all the ins and outs of everything, in the same way that fans feel there is some sort of right to have the details of the clubs business dealings with plans laid open for discussion and scrutiny as if we somehow needed to approve the same.

Earlier in this thread it was mentioned that "We all want the best for the club". Do we? Do we really? Or do we want the best for the club as long as it fits with our vision or idea of how the club should be as opposed to how it is?

Well, here are a few facts that I would defy anyone to disagree with in respect of what is best for the the club and how it can obtain success -

1) Higher attendances
2) More sales of merchandise and associated club services, like matchday food and drink, etc.
3) Higher league football.

Now whilst we cannot directly influence no 3, we can totally make no's 1 and 2 happen, which in turn will greatly assist in achieving 3, which in turn attracts more fans and so 1 and 2 increase, etc. etc.

But there are too many people living under the completely misguided idea that every penny that goes into the club ends up in RM's pocket. It is only a basic understanding of maths that is required to realise that as the club is making a LOSS then RM doesn't actually pocket anything but probably has to raise and juggle less to balance the books.

I ran a poll some time ago about how many people would make a one-off payment of £30 to the club to assist with the running of it. Nearly half that voted said they wouldn't.

There are people who in the past have refused to attend at home matches but maintain they are supporting the club away from home. How does that work then, paying the hard earned into another clubs coffers? That's not supporting, that's following.

As for the Trust, you're all I'm sure doing as good as job as you can and I thank all current and ex members for taking your own personal time to assist the club I support and have done since 1969. Keep it up.

This thread is a fantastic example of why the club should NEVER be run by the fans. No-one could ever agree. The irony is that it will take an event like the club going bust which WILL galvanize fans into action and then - and only then - will we all pull in the same direction.

Last edited:
And this is the reason why Ron Martin says nothing. Anything he says is always pulled apart to the nth degree, even if it doesn't warrant it.

Every single club, society or body has a few people that "do" and the onus of everything falls on those few people. The membership of that body will always contain a few people that moan or criticise but yet will not put themselves in the position where they do the work. Consequently the moaning eventually gets to the few that do the work - it has to, it's inevitable - to the point where some people will say "You know what, this is voluntary and I don't have to put up with this" and so they resign, leaving the onus of the load on even fewer people.

Their workload is increased, their time is limited, whatever needs to happen gets done more slowly (if at all) and the moaning increases. Eventually the few involved will give up the ghost and everything grinds to a halt and stops.

I am, by nature, not a joiner of things generally. If I am involved in something then I need to get my teeth into it and usually end up running or assisting in running whatever it is. No matter what it is, you can never please everyone and what makes me laugh is why on earth anyone not involved with the Trust would think that there is any entitlement to know all the ins and outs of everything, in the same way that fans feel there is some sort of right to have the details of the clubs business dealings with plans laid open for discussion and scrutiny as if we somehow needed to approve the same.

Earlier in this thread it was mentioned that "we all want the best for the club". Do we? Do we really? Or do we want the best for the club as long as it fits with our vision or idea of how the club should be as to how it is?

Well, here are a few facts that I would defy anyone to disagree with in respect of what is best for the the club and how it can obtain success -

1) Higher attendances
2) More sales of merchandise and associated club services, like matchday food and drink, etc.

Now whilst we cannot directly influence no 3, we can totally make no's 1 and 2 happen, which in turn will greatly assist in achieving 3, which in turn attracts more fans and so 1 and 2 increase, etc. etc.

But there are too many people living under the completely misguided idea that every penny that goes into the club ends up in RM's pocket. It is only a basic understanding of maths that is required to realise that as the club is making a LOSS then RM doesn't actually pocket anything but probably has to raise and juggle less to balance the books.

I ran a poll some time ago about how many people would make a one-off payment of £30 to the club to assist with the running of it. Nearly half that voted said they wouldn't.

There are people who in the past have refused to attend at home matches but maintain they are supporting the club away from home. How does that work then, paying the hard earned into another clubs coffers? That's not supporting, that's following.

As for the Trust, you're all I'm sure doing as good as job as you can and I thank all current and ex members for taking your own personal time to assist the club I support and have done since 1969. Keep it up.

This thread is a fantastic example of why the club should NEVER be run by the fans. No-one could ever agree. The irony is that it will take an event like the club going bust which WILL galvanize fans into action and then - and only then - will we all pull in the same direction.

:clap::clap::clap:

Mark, i know you don't post much but when you do it is always, in my mind spot on. Again a brilliant post (post 203).

Nick
(ex collegian)

Earlier in this thread it was mentioned that "We all want the best for the club". Do we? Do we really? Or do we want the best for the club as long as it fits with our vision or idea of how the club should be as opposed to how it is?

1) Higher attendances

Spot on fbm

1) Higher attendances

Good stuff Mark. I'm probably a little more optimistic about the concept at least of fan ownership, just because it can and has worked for other clubs. However you still need an incredible amount of effort, energy and expertise in the fanbase for that to happen.

About the bit in bold - these presumably are Trust members that you're talking about. Or if not, then at the least they're fans. I think with a democratic organisation, the members have the right to ask questions, get replies and know where exactly their money is going. I'd suggest that unlike Ron Martin, the Trust have a duty to respond to queries (for example about the fighting fund). And like SBH said really well earlier in the thread, they could be more proactive rather than reactive to concerns.

Good stuff Mark. I'm probably a little more optimistic about the concept at least of fan ownership, just because it can and has worked for other clubs. However you still need an incredible amount of effort, energy and expertise in the fanbase for that to happen.

About the bit in bold - these presumably are Trust members that you're talking about. Or if not, then at the least they're fans. I think with a democratic organisation, the members have the right to ask questions, get replies and know where exactly their money is going. I'd suggest that unlike Ron Martin, the Trust have a duty to respond to queries (for example about the fighting fund). And like SBH said really well earlier in the thread, they could be more proactive rather than reactive to concerns.

Tell you what Pubey, you put your questions in writing and let's have them aired at the AGM coming up in a few months!!!

Back