• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Flinty

Not a member⭐
Suited an booted and off to the Lane on the 10:45 from Southend Vic having nearly been wiped out by an out of control wrinkly on a mobility scooter.

I met up with my fellow guests and hosts and headed to the hospitality suite overlooking the car park for a few beers. Having obtain the signatures of Alan Mullary, Pat Jennings (massive hair still) and Martin Chivers I returned to see Efe Sodje walking across the car park on his own sporting a little Burbury backpack !

Wth an hour and half still to kick off we were lead to the box which was only 2 along from the away end of the ground already there were a few shrimpers in the ground miling around. I stated the case for the blue boys justifying a draw would be possible and that today would be the day we see an inform Freddy Eastwood trying to secure his transfer on the big stage. The meal was pretty poor in all honesty and i would not be happy if i was served that for my meal every game..those boxes arn't cheap. I kept an ear ot for the Ron chants but none were forthcoming in fact prior to kick off there was only one short not very loud bout of singing.

The game started at a fairly quick pace and Lennon already looked very dangerous. With 12 gone a quick spurs counter attack saw Keane shoot home via a wicked deflection off Steve Hammell. The game was fairly open but we managed to give the ball away fairly cheaply and spurs game plan seemed to be to let us come on and hit us on the break with their pace. A miture of last ditch tackles, fine keeping and poor finishing by spurs kept the score to 1 the fron two were getting no joy from the spurs centre halfs with the new lad particularly standing out.

With Jude Law only 2 boxes down half time was spent texting and those with camera phones trying to get pictures. Is Jude a Southend fan then????

The 2nd half started pretty much as the 1st ended. A hospital ball by Bradbury was intercepted by Lennon who sped away and crossed for Jenas who slapped the ball into the net, to be fair that was only conclusive from 1 angle and it wasn't the one the ref or assistant could see. The spurs fans were bouyant and the chants started. I have to say we were very very quiet all game and hope no response to the spurs fans, this ultimately lead to chants of........your support is ****ing ****.......again no response.

The ineffective Bradbury was replaced by Harrold who immediately won a penalty. At 1st it seemed a little harsh and one you would only get if you were the home team. Eastwood coolly dispatched it home with fairly muted celebrations in front of the fans...at last some noise from the away end..could we pull it off and sneak another. We should have done really, a smart ball into the box was laid off by JCR to Maher in acres of space who hit the ball high giving the keeper a chance to save when surely a low drilled shot would have resulted in a goal. Spurs however secured the win with another speedy run from Lennon who found Mido sliding in to smash to ball home off the underside of the bar.

Hooper came on for Gower but looked completely out of his depth giving the ball away everytime he got it...the game petered out with spurs in the accendency.

I have to say the downside today was that we never really played well but spurs are a good team and in Lennon they have a real match winner. f he wasn't playing i wonder how different the game would have been?

Our fans were very very quiet i thought we would have made more noise with it being a FA Cup game away to a prem side.

Eastwood didn't shine as i expected although the consensus from the spurs fans in the box was that you could see him doing ok in a smaller prem side.

Best bit of the night was back at Liverpool street in the White Hart pub good atmosphere by the drinking shrimpers aided by a couple of happy watford fans

And finally Sodje.......that was bizarre.. the coach arrived some 10 minutes later

Good report.

Yep our support was quiet. It felt as if most of us couldn't be bothered to sing and those that did were spread about, plus it was obvious we were going to be outplayed right from the start. No amount of support would have made any difference to the result and to be fair Spurs would have beat any other Championship side yesterday.

And finally Sodje.......that was bizarre.. the coach arrived some 10 minutes later[/QUOTE]

I expect he made his own way there from Greenwich rather than going to Southend first?

you must have been in the box with Andrew Sutters then. The box I was in was on the half way line, on the level above you. Food wasn't to bad, and won a few pounds on 3 -1 to Spurs. All my other bets where on Southend wins and goal scorers, had to have one bet that would cover the others

I can't understans all the comments about Southend support bewing quiet. I was in the South Lower at the very back row (nicely padded seats) & thought the singing, chanting and general banter with the Spurs fans was excellent. Maybe the acoustics vary a lot depending on where you are - it certainly seemed a lot louder than the Carling Cup game when I was again in the South Lower but only in row 5.

Back