• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Shrimperzone is it being abused

stewart

Striker
Yes the club is going through the worst period in its history ,I also think Shrimperzone is too. In fact at present is quite depressing to come here and read so many posts slagging off at the players and naming them,. Last season even we were so poor ,people were praising these young lads ,the likes off ELVIS , KELMAN ,ETC Yes this is a forum where supporters can come and voice their thoughts ,disappointment ,and occassionally happiness. But do you think its right to openly slag off and belittle players and then expect them to come out and play well ,to want to be at this club ,Pre season people were saying it would be a hard season for us and just to avoid relegation this season would be a win, people were saying lets just get behind these young fellows and support them, but 3 games into the season and already most have forgotten all that and cant wait to slag off at players. Shrimperzone has really started to live up to its nickname of SHRIMPERMOAN. And some off the so called supporters are not supporting in any aspect of the word support. God if i was a young player here at present i would want out also.If you going to slag off dont go after the young lads , they are not the problem, they have been thrust into this early ,when not quite ready ,encourage them ,youmay not be able to do it from the stands at present ,so why not do it here in Shrimperzone . Mods you need to be more aware off how some off the comments put on here can affect these young men, im sure many of them read shrimperzone.

We are losing week in and out. Did we manage two shots today at goal? Youre gonna get frustrations vented on here. No one wants to see the lads getting dicked every week. Even when we stormed League 1 with Tilsons team, Che Wilson came under a barrage of abuse..

Its a passionate game with passionate views. The young lads arent kids, they are men and if they pull on the blue shirt we want them to do well. Start winning and they'll be loved alright.

Yes the club is going through the worst period in its history ,I also think Shrimperzone is too. In fact at present is quite depressing to come here and read so many posts slagging off at the players and naming them,. Last season even we were so poor ,people were praising these young lads ,the likes off ELVIS , KELMAN ,ETC Yes this is a forum where supporters can come and voice their thoughts ,disappointment ,and occassionally happiness. But do you think its right to openly slag off and belittle players and then expect them to come out and play well ,to want to be at this club ,Pre season people were saying it would be a hard season for us and just to avoid relegation this season would be a win, people were saying lets just get behind these young fellows and support them, but 3 games into the season and already most have forgotten all that and cant wait to slag off at players. Shrimperzone has really started to live up to its nickname of SHRIMPERMOAN. And some off the so called supporters are not supporting in any aspect of the word support. God if i was a young player here at present i would want out also.If you going to slag off dont go after the young lads , they are not the problem, they have been thrust into this early ,when not quite ready ,encourage them ,youmay not be able to do it from the stands at present ,so why not do it here in Shrimperzone . Mods you need to be more aware off how some off the comments put on here can affect these young men, im sure many of them read shrimperzone.

Passion should not be confused with abuse. Most of us are passionate about the club, but that does not mean we have a license to be mean and abusive towards the players. Nothing is more soul destroying for a person, whether a professional footballer or anyone else in a work situation, to get the sense they are being ridiculed and belittled. And such abuse does nothing to improve the performance of the person concerned. Quite the reverse actually.

We are losing week in and out. Did we manage two shots today at goal? Youre gonna get frustrations vented on here. No one wants to see the lads getting dicked every week. Even when we stormed League 1 with Tilsons team, Che Wilson came under a barrage of abuse..

Its a passionate game with passionate views. The young lads arent kids, they are men and if they pull on the blue shirt we want them to do well. Start winning and they'll be loved alright.
yes young men still learning their proffession ,they are not seasoned pros ,and as such should be treated with respect and patience ,not abuse.

Well that fits wouldn't you say? Members of these forums are allowed to have opinions on all things SUFC. Frustrations atm are maybe taken out on here rather than in the empty ground. I have not seen actual abuse of any player on here, as we would not allow that. If one of the Mods or myself have missed it we apologise, but we do not see every post and people have the report post button to use, so we do.

I feel sorry for the youngsters to, but it is what it is, is it not the fans fault that we have been put in this position and I am sure that we all want to be cheering on our team week after week after outstanding performances. It just isn't like that though and as most love our team, as in anything in life when things are not going your way there are outbursts at the time. We are bottom of the EFL.

I am fully aware of the mental state of not just the younger players but all people out there atm during such turmoil not only with our football team but all manner of life that is being restricted by the nations troubles.

We cannot and will not censor members opinions, but will keep a very watchful eye out for blatant abuse.

Last edited:
I think this place is tame compared to the rubbish and vile abuse being spouted on the Southend United Facebook Group and Twitter.

We have been on a 2 year dip and people are frustrated, football is a fickle game those players people are being overly critical of will be hero’s after a couple of wins in a row.

So people aren’t allowed to be critical of anyone, ie Ron, the manager, the players etc for fear of upsetting them. If we all have just got to accept that we are likely to either go out of existence or get relegated, then let’s close down Shrimperzone and any debate and just accept the inevitable.

I think this site stays the right side of the line and the mods actually do a fantastic job. If players are criticised too regularly and unfairly, the poster is usually picked up by other posters and shot down in any case. Like Cricko says we’re bottom of the league, 0 points with -7 goal difference after 3 games. MOST of the ranting (and I include the OTT crap thrown at Ron here) I put down to people being passionate about Southend United. Sadly, players have got it in the neck always....in the 80s I heard stuff shouted from the terraces that would be .. rightly .. deleted immediately from these pages. Scapegoats aren’t new either - remember Maher? Harrold? It’s just now with social media it’s all put in writing and is a lot more visible.
Just wanted to give my support to the Zone, the
mods and most posters here who I find to be a great bunch who’s opinions I enjoy reading. Of course there’s a few dicks as there were and sadly will be always! I don’t condone anyone who steps over the line either...it’s not necessary and actually says a lot more about the person dishing it out.

Or you could argue that the negative comments would/should fire them up and want to prove the doubters wrong. Generally the players who play well get praised on SZ. I think the young players have received plenty of encouragement on SZ, but game after game they turn in poor performances. I don't think the negativity is aimed at them, I think it's at the chairman for not bringing in experienced players and fielding too many youths who, perhaps, are just not ready.

As for them coming on the forum, I'd be surprised if they read club forums. In any event, SZ is no more savage than any other club forum I've ever read, in fact, try reading some of those northern club forums, we're pussy cats in comparison!

Well that fits wouldn't you say? Members of these forums are allowed to have opinions on all things SUFC. Frustrations atm are maybe taken out on here rather than in the empty ground. I have not seen actual abuse of any player on here, as we would not allow that. If one of the Mods or myself have missed it we apologise, but we do not see every post and people have the report post button to use, so we do.

I feel sorry for the youngsters to, but it is what it is, is it not the fans fault that we have been put in this position and I am sure that we all want to be cheering on our team week after week after outstanding performances. It just isn't like that though and as most love our team, as in anything in life when things are not going your way there are outbursts at the time. We are bottom of the EFL.

I am fully aware of the mental state of not just the younger players but all people out there atm during such turmoil not only with our football team but all manner of life that is being restricted by the nations troubles.

We cannot and will not censor members opinions, but will keep a very watchful eye out for blatant abuse.

I think the guys that manage this site do a great job and in their own time too.
I have seen them remove posts when the line has been crossed and then explain as to why.

It is a fine line between abuse and opinion but, I think this site often displays a balanced view where opinions & views are respected. Where and when that fails others on this site are quick to support. I certainly have made many friends through here with I would I imagine others had.

This team is doing rather poorly atm so we should expect some criticism after all most teams have around 1,000+ managers who all think they can do better but, let’s not forget these are “professional” footballers and constantly in the public eye so unfortunately it comes with scrutiny from others but, that does not mean anyone can be abused.

There's a difference between criticism and abuse, and you largely see criticism on here. As with any message board, games are going to get analysed afterwards and if a player is due criticism, then you can be sure it will be given.

There's not so much abuse, and certainly nothing like you see on Twitter or on that FB group.

I've been desperately hoping for us to string a couple of wins together so this place calms down a bit.
When we lost to Harrogate I was playing cricket so only got to look on here that evening. The whole place was mental with everyone going over the top.
I get people are frustrated at shocking state of the club. People are also stuck inside coz of bloody Covid and there just aren't as many alternatives. And that raises tensions as well of course.
So I don't know what the answer is other than for the players to help everyone out by winning games. But I do think it might help everyone if they took a breath before posting or reacting.
That's not to condone abuse, which is both wrong and stupid. Will it help? Very unlikely, in part because it isn't designed to help, it's just some idiot shouting their mouth off.
I don't know the answer, I'm rambling.
I'm off to watch some of the Essex game before I go play myself. I hope everyone else can get away from their screens as well.

Or you could argue that the negative comments would/should fire them up and want to prove the doubters wrong. Generally the players who play well get praised on SZ. I think the young players have received plenty of encouragement on SZ, but game after game they turn in poor performances. I don't think the negativity is aimed at them, I think it's at the chairman for not bringing in experienced players and fielding too many youths who, perhaps, are just not ready.

As for them coming on the forum, I'd be surprised if they read club forums. In any event, SZ is no more savage than any other club forum I've ever read, in fact, try reading some of those northern club forums, we're pussy cats in comparison!
Do you improve your performance at work as a result of getting abused?
Occasionally you get people who do get fired up by abuse, but how many? And it's usually the abuse from the opposition that fires people up, not from their own side. Because it isn't designed to motivate or improve people.

Do you improve your performance at work as a result of getting abused?
Occasionally you get people who do get fired up by abuse, but how many? And it's usually the abuse from the opposition that fires people up, not from their own side. Because it isn't designed to motivate or improve people.

It's difficult to constantly encourage poor personal performances.

We have seen some dire performances the last 3 seasons and in the main have encouraged the players. Even last season we got behind the players who were serving up terrible performances.

This can only go on for so long before the support dwindles and anger and resentment sets in. What are supporters supposed to do. Just keep getting behind poor players and poor performances for 3 straight seasons, especially when league football is at stake.

The players should want to earn praise. They are professionals doing an amateur job.

They deserve criticism and the fans letting them know its unacceptable.

I think this place is tame compared to the rubbish and vile abuse being spouted on the Southend United Facebook Group and Twitter.

We have been on a 2 year dip and people are frustrated, football is a fickle game those players people are being overly critical of will be hero’s after a couple of wins in a row.

Exactly. Those 2 sites are full of complete tools who spit their dummy at the slightest thing. SZ is well moderated and in the main has respectful members who post their opinions. Some opinions are more out there than others but that's what a forum is.

If their attitude was better, put in efforts in, they wouldn’t get abuse ??‍♂️ Their non existence display in 2nd half make us feel like we playing with 9 men’s as 1 or 2 of them was sulking that they didn’t get an move, if they put an shift in, they would get an move .... too bad, I think Swansea will be put off signing one of our forward, if they watched the video of our last 3 league games.

If some of these players showed an stinking attitude and cannot be arsed to put an shift for Legia Warsaw, they would get tons of worst abuse on Legionnaires forums, SZ is like an paradise compared to Legia Warsaw fans forum as our players (Legia) get abuse online if we lose & they didn’t perform at all.

Last edited:
Any one who wants to earn their living by performing for the public on the stage, on a sports field, as a politician or anywhere in the media has to accept that public criticism or heckling is part and parcel of the situation. Abuse or harassment is of course completely unacceptable and potentially illegal. Social media allows people to hide behind aliases.
Gone are the good old days when you had to write to the Standard or Echo to express your views - name and address supplied and no hiding.

My first recollection as a child of the crowd going over the top was when in the early 60s, team changes were being announced over the tannoy and the name Jim Fryatt was booed by a large percentage of the crowd. He off course went on to score against us on numerous occasions in the rest of his career.

Paul Clark commented yesterday that Charlie had been getting some stick and had been dropped and that when he came on it was his opportunity to show the doubters that they were wrong.

Some youngsters will thrive - many more will fall by the wayside. I’m not convinced that keeping so many cosseted in Under 23 football is good for them and football long term.

Unfortunately home grown local players seem to have so much more to live up to. Gary Nelson I recall got an awful lot of stick when he got his chance here - he ended up having an outstanding career after he moved on . Some of it I think is down to jealousy and resentment.

For the past year we have, almost without fail, lost every week. We are the worst team in the EFL, why on earth would players want to come and read Shrimperzone? What positive could possibly come from players reading stuff on here? Surely the unwarranted abuse and personal attacks they receive directly on twitter is enough for them.

Certain players are probably targeted unfairly on here, but how do you stop that? This is a place for people to post their opinions, unless you suggest opinions are no longer allowed and we aren’t allowed to comment on individual players?

Back