• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Shrimperzone Retro Classics- Neil Jenkins

Can Jenks perform the Scholes role?

• No way Jose! I think Luke Nightingale would be more suited to this role.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

NZamba Legend

Deep-lying playmaker ⭐
New season is just around the corner and to celebrate I welcome you to the second in an occasional series of retro polls revisiting classic SZ debates. This afternoon we're taking you all the way back to summer 2003. Wignall has just taken the reigns, his son Jack is training with the first team and news has just filtered through that a deal has been reached with former-million pound teenager Jimmy Corbett. With the recent signing from Bury of dope smoker and ex-under 21 international Jamie Stuart, our new manager had created for himself an unexpected yet welcome 'selection headache' in the left full-back position. Legions of teenage Shrimpers with unhealthy Mark Rawle fixations held their breath anxiously as they waited to see whether new boy Stuart would get the nod over their hero- occasional England u/19 substitute Neil Jenkins...

Now, as we know Stuart was installed on the left side of Blues shiny looking new rearguard, but the ever-resourceful ex-Doncaster supremo Wignall was not to give up on Jenkins. In a now legendary official site interview, our man Jenks revealed that the gaffer had spoken to him about a new 'Scholes'-type role in an advanced central midfield position. Well, why not? The speedy ex-Wimbledon man was always more comfortable going forward than defending and let's not forget that Jenks was coming off the back of an impressive seven goal tally from the 02/03 season.

So folks, to cut a long story short, todays question is...

Can Jenks perform the Scholes role?

Last edited:
It doesn't matter what you do, mugs - Steve Watts will be firing us to promotion glory!

Good point- I am expecting big things of Jamie. Do you think Maher will get a look in this season?

Well, I think Wignall will put paid to those rumours about Maher having a clause in his contract whereby he always gets picked. I think Kev will really have to fight for his place in the side.

There's an interesting goal-keeping dilemma as well... Flahavan or Emberson. Tough call.

Matt

Apparently Embo has 'hands as big as dinner plates'. From the look of him in pre-season I'd say that he has not been skipping any dinners.

Yes, but I saw him in the play-off final playing for the Ewes, and - dare I say it - he was outstanding.

I know he's a bit of a gamble in terms of his age and his size, but Wignall has shown that he's shrewd in the transfer markets, and will go out to get the best players available, rather than carting around the same old clowns from club to club a la Barry Fry

Apparently Embo has 'hands as big as dinner plates'. From the look of him in pre-season I'd say that he has not been skipping any dinners.
Im not sure with the emberson choice - being an ex col u keeper he'll no doubt make a few mistakes and everyone will be on his back.

I reckon Leke will have one good game then disappear. Stuart will probably drink himself out of contention, so stick Jenks there.

I actually rated him!

I still can't get my head around the fact that we kept him but let Steven Broad go. How does that work...?

:thump:

I rated Mc Sweeney and felt he was unlucky at Southend.History shows tho' ,I believe, that he just faded out of the pro game; what became of him ?

LOL I like the question. Jenkins is good, we should have kept hold of him, now he has slipped away like the rest of that league 2 side apart from Cort.

Back