• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Zone Update ShrimperZone's 21st Birthday.

well well well done finally 21 years and I like one of your posts Cricko ;) I've been about with many names.. Napper must have been around at the start and smithy. what ever happened to Lee Boy Mr B, and shame Westcliff shrimper (the other one, the funny one) left .. he was a good guy, is he still around? Like you say some legends have made way in that time :( some posters are in prison (actually I think they are out now) and some have just got jobs...

All the very best love us hate us, we are all in this together SEA SEA SEASIDERS

16 and half years ago (August 2005) I found the best forum in the world. Good knows what I would have done with my time if this forum didn't exist.

It gave me half a season playing football under the management of @* ORM * before breaking my leg and ending my football career.

Made some friends (and probably a few enemies)

Would I change any of it? Not on your nelly.

Here's to many many more years of SZ

We have come a long way since our humble beginnings. How did this all start you may well ask and nobody is better than @Napster to tell you all.

It's hard to believe Shrimperzone is 21.

21 years ago I used to get my online Southend fix from Yahoo Groups and shrimpers.net. Yahoo Groups was an email group, and it was populated with some very good writers, such as Hugh Cumberland, and Bob Sills. Then Mike Smith and Dave Scriven started SZ, and I used to post a lot. I then went along for a pre-match drink at the Spread to meet some SZ posters and met a lot of what are now lifelong friends.

Mike, Dave and I combined for a three-way partnership before Mike left for Spain and Dave got a job at the club. That was only the beginning - Lee Morgan (Leeboy) and I took on the site and from there, we got really involved with the club; I was on the Trust committee and we were invited to the House of Lords, we started a player of the year and we started SZFC. All in a few years before we had to step back.
SZ really has gone from strength to strength from there on - and it has continued because of its posters and its breadth of fanbase.

How ShrimperZone looked in those early days.

View attachment 18255View attachment 18256

During the past 21 years we have seen members come and go for lots of reasons but I am sure we must have a few on here who have been around since the early days. Speak up if you have. We have lost some great friends over the time as well, may they all rest in peace, you are all missed. It is hard to believe we once had 5 SZFC teams on the go at once.

The site owners and moderators have changed quite a few times and our thanks to all those that have taken on the task during that time. We would not be here without you all.

Over the next 12 months to celebrate our 21st we will be running various competitions with some decent prizes and we are looking to hold a party after a home game when it gets warmer for those of you that wish to attend.

I doubt very much i will still be around in another 21 years but this site will always be in capable hands have no doubt of that.

It's been a ride for sure with our team but we are all fans of SUFC and love our club dearly. So many memories with more to come and so many new adventures await us all. It is never dull supporting our club and long may it continue.

This site for 21 years has been the beating heart of our club for the supporters to air their views and meet new friends. We now cover most topics in one of our 20 odd forums and the variations of debate, input and threads is truly incredible.

These forums are the envy of many teams way above us so thank you to all members who contribute and use them.

Here is to another 21 years of ShrimperZone and our new sparkly banner. :Smile:

UTB and UTZ

John.
Well done to John and all who keep SZ afloat. As you say, the zone is the envy of many clubs with a larger fanbase.

I’ve said before, we’re a non-league club with a premier league forum. I’ve genuinely never come across a better one in terms of ease of use & navigation etc. And no adverts which ruin some other forums. Here’s to the next 21 years.

Top stuff SZ, congrats on coming of age.

I may have used and even abused it a little (not much) over the years, but it carries on as the best fans forum by far out there.

The Zone's ultimate accolade was perhaps a deserved mention in the 'good book' (no Cricko, I'm not plugging it, given up on that for something else :Smile:)

For a little 'treat', here is the extract. Thanks SZ, I can safely say that you've had an impact (a positive one) on life.

"45/92 - MEADOW LANE, Notts County 1 Southend United 2, League Two, Saturday 18 September 2004

Surfing the net is now an established part of the footie experience – club sites, fanzones, news feeds, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube …… it’s all there, part fact, part fiction, part rant. You can see it, watch it, say it and buy it.

Scan through Twitter and you might find 426 folk with nothing else to do other than participate in a debate on corner flags ……. or a bit more usefully you could just find out that the place you were going to meet up next Saturday is closed and so you sort out a problem before its happened. Join Facebook and you can somewhat weirdly follow a group on football mascots …….. or you can use it to track down friends from long ago and then meet up again at the footie as though the decades in between were just an interlude to accumulate grey hairs. Look on eBay and you will find someone who has been digging up his own lawn and passing it off as the hallowed turf that Robbie Fowler once sniffed ….. or you might just find that genuine one missing gem from your programme collection that you pick up at an absolute bargain (as the seller never really thought that anyone else in the world would ever be interested in acquiring the scribe on Workington Town versus Barrow from 1969).

From a personal perspective the use of a Southend United chat forum (Shrimperzone) has opened up a whole new community of folk who, yes, rant and moan a bit (there is a health warning to avoid it after a defeat if you have any suicidal tendencies), but who do really care about the club and will help their fellow fans. For the exile its use is almost essential – through kind fellow Shrimpers I previously didn’t know I’ve obtained tickets I otherwise could not get, found out about fan meeting places I would otherwise have missed, used it to sell items I could no longer use, received information that’s helped make travel easier and cheaper, joined up with club events I’d otherwise never have heard about …… the list is a long one. Above all though it’s been a forum to chat with and meet others and, spotting there was another fan marooned like me in Suffolk, we made contact and agreed to meet up at Meadow Lane.

I took Jim with me (for protection) and did a quick tour of Nottingham’s sporting trilogy before going to the game - Trent Bridge where we entered for free and briefly sampled Nottinghamshire versus the mighty Essex entertaining around 32 lost souls, and The City Ground where I attempted to explain to Jim just what a character Mr Clough was. It was then just a 275 yard walk round to our target for the day of Meadow Lane.

The home of the Magpies had been completely rebuilt during the preceding decade into a neat modern stadium, perhaps bringing in to question why clubs feel the need that only a new site will do to adequately build hospitality boxes and function rooms for focusing on everything bar football. Meadow Lane provides all a club could now want for widening the net to catch your pound, even something called the ‘Celebration of Life’, though when you delve further it is somewhat disappointingly a finger buffet for £7.95 + VAT.

Once inside you are faced with blocks of black seats on all four sides, each with large lettering displays or magpie emblems to leave you in no doubt where you are. It’s smart yet a bit docile, like some kind of giant Hummer, only spoilt when fans start to gather with their multi coloured shirts and flags to rev the place up. Sitting amongst them was fellow Shrimperzoner Andy and we instantly struck up a supporter’s rapport which would lead to many future trips to grounds far away. When you’re driving to places like Morecambe it’s good to have someone to distract from the endless motorway tarmac, and when you go 200 miles before you even think of turning on the radio it’s a sign of a good conversational journey.

A double strike from our centre half and genuine love-the-badge thumper Adam Barrett put the seal on a very decent day."

By the way, of that pic, only @GNH @Snowy, Mark Wallis and me are still posting. MrB is wasting time on Battrick/Twitter; Gav McMahon is in Canada; Mike's in Spain; Axe is v busy at work; Leeboy's on Twitter and Ninja is still Ninja.

Some of the chosen few!

Can't believe it's been that long.

Well done to all involved in keeping this site running

Last edited:
Well done everyone.

In the here today gone tomorrow world of social media to have a thriving independent enthusiasts forum properly ran, modded and up to date is quite a feat.

I also reckon the after match threads contained probably exactly the same opposing opinions and viewpoints as they do all these years later.

I bet there was even a "shrimpet steve" as well.

And here we are now with just,

91,197 threads and 2,329,048 messages later. We also keep all our old data for you to search for times gone by.

That's quite a few isn't it. ?
Apart from the Live Chat thread!!! :Frustrated:

Lol, in all seriousness - and I've not been here from the beginning - it would be lovely to see an SZ "coming of age" party in the summer, with some drinks, some fund raising and some fun (no drinking the after shave @Smiffy !) maybe combined with a BBQ....might even make some of my carrot cake again!

Back