• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Zone Update ShrimperZone's 21st Birthday.

The Yahoo Group was where it all started for me .....with Bob Sills, Hugh Cumberland, Robin etc. I believe this was back in around 96?
I seem to recall there being around 30 odd people in that group.
If I remember correctly the GOONS prediction league all started following some accurate scoreline predictions I used to give on a Friday night prior to the game!
Well done John and the Mods on producing and sustaining such a fantastic forum.

The Yahoo Group was where it all started for me .....with Bob Sills, Hugh Cumberland, Robin etc. I believe this was back in around 96?
I seem to recall there being around 30 odd people in that group.
If I remember correctly the GOONS prediction league all started following some accurate scoreline predictions I used to give on a Friday night prior to the game!
Well done John and the Mods on producing and sustaining such a fantastic forum.
what was your email ID?

It says I joined on Oct 28th 2003... I remember the old VB database I think and also I was on the yahoo email list for a bit.

Still posting obviously - not as often as I used to (several reasons for that) but I do remember a feature of the Zone I was involved in called the "FBM view and ratings" for each home game I went to, which was pretty much all of them. My word, that was sometimes a struggle as I very often had to go straight from the game to a gig, and often had to type up the report at about 3am in the morning when I got back.

I remember meeting @Leeboy and @Napster together with Mike (who went to Spain) in the Spread before the Port Vale match in League One, first game of the season when we got beaten 2-1. I saw Tilly at the cricket in Southchurch Park the day after, we spent about 20 minutes discussing the game and how hard it would be this season and how he just wanted to not go down again. He said Ron was keen to go up and he had to keep telling him "No, we aren't ready, we need to consolidate."

So we won the league.

Great days on the Zone though... there is some unwarranted hostility on here sometimes these days but I think that mirrors current life; apparently these days you're either right or wrong, and "If you don't share my view I'll shut you down so I don't have to listen to you" seems to be the preferred way forward. Bonkers.

Stars from the Zone's past... those who remember will never forget Footymad13 and the guy who was obsessed with Daryl Sutch (can't remember his username but it had X's in it I think).

It's a great forum guys, always grateful to the Mods for the (unpaid) work they do and the owners for putting in money as and when needed to keep the place alive.

Happy Birthday SZ.

It says I joined on Oct 28th 2003... I remember the old VB database I think and also I was on the yahoo email list for a bit.

Still posting obviously - not as often as I used to (several reasons for that) but I do remember a feature of the Zone I was involved in called the "FBM view and ratings" for each home game I went to, which was pretty much all of them. My word, that was sometimes a struggle as I very often had to go straight from the game to a gig, and often had to type up the report at about 3am in the morning when I got back.

I remember meeting @Leeboy and @Napster together with Mike (who went to Spain) in the Spread before the Port Vale match in League One, first game of the season when we got beaten 2-1. I saw Tilly at the cricket in Southchurch Park the day after, we spent about 20 minutes discussing the game and how hard it would be this season and how he just wanted to not go down again. He said Ron was keen to go up and he had to keep telling him "No, we aren't ready, we need to consolidate."

So we won the league.

Great days on the Zone though... there is some unwarranted hostility on here sometimes these days but I think that mirrors current life; apparently these days you're either right or wrong, and "If you don't share my view I'll shut you down so I don't have to listen to you" seems to be the preferred way forward. Bonkers.

Stars from the Zone's past... those who remember will never forget Footymad13 and the guy who was obsessed with Daryl Sutch (can't remember his username but it had X's in it I think).

It's a great forum guys, always grateful to the Mods for the (unpaid) work they do and the owners for putting in money as and when needed to keep the place alive.

Happy Birthday SZ.
ha yes I remember that - he was XXXL a legend!! Fm13 must be in his 30s now ?. Also osymandus who is now olethros on Twitter

Happy birthday SZ, I spent most of my time on Shrimpersonline back in the day but that unfortunately is no longer with us, as sites come and go SZ has gone from strength to strength, think there are more moaners these days lol, maybe the Covid days have brought that on.
I see how good this site is when I search on other football sites and most of them have limited post, this site has by far the most traffic that I have ever come across and to have a site like this with my own team is great.UTB

Been around since day 1 and made a lot of good friends and getting heavily involved in SZFC. Only tend to pop on as and when these days but still where I come to find out what’s going on with the club.

Have some pics from earlier days.

The first SZ kick about that led to the club being formed:
1D8BF55C-F799-4AA2-874B-DCE80064FD64.jpeg

Winning the league cup
829DCA69-2085-4FB4-94EB-FBC6CD8AD2D1.jpeg

Sunrise to sunset charity match, which raised £10,000 for Great Ormond Street Hospital

218EEB82-E349-4CE6-BF7E-62269DD52223.jpeg

Random City Shrimpers night out
CCCAD6F5-67DD-402D-AEA4-89EC21480791.jpeg

Been around since day 1 and made a lot of good friends and getting heavily involved in SZFC. Only tend to pop on as and when these days but still where I come to find out what’s going on with the club.

Have some pics from earlier days.

The first SZ kick about that led to the club being formed:
View attachment 18262

Winning the league cup
View attachment 18263

Sunrise to sunset charity match, which raised £10,000 for Great Ormond Street Hospital

View attachment 18264

Random City Shrimpers night out
View attachment 18265
Love these pics!

I haven't been on here for very long but felt a part of the forum from day one. I've loved joining in debates, and getting to know some of the characters on here, of which the majority are good people. Whilst I first attended Roots Hall around 32 years ago, and only been to a few in between then and this season where I've attended almost every game, I have learned so much about the club because of this site and knowledgeable people on it. It's been a pleasurable welcome break from the every day stresses of life, particularly over the last two years where I've seen more death through covid in the NHS and through family losses, than I would ever care for. Again, there are some great people here, some of which I have a lot of respect for and I would love to actually meet sometime, joining the family as shown in the pictures above. I love reading the many stories guys .... its a great forum, great work all... here's to another 21 years!!

A special mention to Pete who's prediction league is really fantastically run and a superb feature. Love it!

Heartiest congratulations to you guys, I first popped up 17 years ago I believe, had to prove my identity by posting a pic next to a Southend shirt at home plus the date! If only mods were so stringent in identifying people these days.... (That's a joke everyone, a joke ?)

Here's to the next 21 years, as many have said, there are lots of forums and with the advent of social media, lots of avenues to talk football, but the personality of SZ continues to come through strongly, providing a unique space for Shrimpers of all ages.

To the next 21 years ??

Stan

Heartiest congratulations to you guys, I first popped up 17 years ago I believe, had to prove my identity by posting a pic next to a Southend shirt at home plus the date! If only mods were so stringent in identifying people these days.... (That's a joke everyone, a joke ?)

Here's to the next 21 years, as many have said, there are lots of forums and with the advent of social media, lots of avenues to talk football, but the personality of SZ continues to come through strongly, providing a unique space for Shrimpers of all ages.

To the next 21 years ??

Stan
You haven't got time to come on here, get back to work and get them new players in, thats a joke, a joke Stan ?

Had some good times on here. Had some **** times on here. Had some great times with people I’ve met on here.

SZ is more than a hobby, more than a way of passing the time & more than just a website. It’s the place that gives us a chance to share that common bond that we all have… a Frankstein’s monster of a football club. For good or for bad.

Sadly, for various reasons there are some ATG posters who aren’t around anymore, but every single poster, every kind of personality from every different walk of life have made this one of the best fans forums in the land.

Here’s to 21 more years, and beyond.

Oh, and the old man says hello ?

To the next 21 years ??

Stan
@StanCollymore got to say a massive thank you to you aswell. Since I came back to support the club, I don't think there has been a more passionate supporter than you, which has rubbed off on others. You were a great player for us, but now an even greater ambassador and voice for us off the pitch. You have always been close to the fan base, which is rare these days for players and ex players, most of who only give a damn about money, and I know the majority of supporters are behind you for what you and the team are doing behind the scenes. Thanks again.

Back