• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please will every stop moaning about the fact that Connie has gone. He is not a traitor he is not ruthless and without a heart and Shrimpboy he most definaely doesnt deserve to break his leg and miss the next season
This is the same player who's goals almost single handed kept our league status this season. Are you not in the slightest grateful?
I am fed up with comments about Connie going. Why shouldnt he go?
Because Southend gave him possibly his last chance at professional football? Doesnt wash Im affraid, sure he should be grateful but so should we.
Why shouldnt he want more money?
As others have commented do we break the bank and pay him the wages he wants? at the end of the day he is a 26 year old player who has had one good season in his carear. What if this season was a one off then everyone would be saying what the hell was Tilly thinking of making him the higest wage earner at the club.
The same goes for Maher, even more so, the man has played 250+ games for us. If he wants to go to a sleeping giant which Sheff Wed most certainly are then good luck to the man. He would be playing at a higher level with better players and have the chance to progress. If he wants to go then I would be at the front of the que to shake his hand and thank him for his service to Southend.
Why is everyone not slagging off the descision to dispose of McSweeny's services?
At the start of the season Macca was playing the best football of his life. He was covering in all sorts of positions along the back four and doing a good job. He is a young local lad who has been at Southend through the ranks to first team.
How short everyones memory.
Flavs is another one. Wignall got rid of him and broughtin Embo. Everyone was praying for a keeper of Flavs ability again. Flavs comes back and then its all the rubbish about not commanding his area.
We are an average 3rd Division side. Thats it nothing more nothing less. Sure we had six seasons in the old Div 2 new Div1. And we played well whilst there. We have only won one peice of silverware. The fourth Div Championship in 81. (ESC doesnt count)
In the subject of future transfers, I get fed up with people talking about the likes of Royce and Powell coming back. Two very simple factors folks money and our league status mean I doubt these two will play a competitive game for Southend again. This doesnt make them traitors. It makes them Human. For arguements sake lets say Powell is on £20000 a week at Charlton and Royce is on £10000. I dont know how correct these figures are but a rough ballpark guess. They will not/could not afford to drop down to third division and play on the wages we could safely offer them. And why should they.
Doesnt mean both these two are not legends in our history. Cousre it doesnt. If either of these two were to sign for us this close season I would say that it would be the biggest signing in our 98 year history. I just cant see it happening.

Phew glad I got that off my chest.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Benfleetshrimp @ May 22 2004,19:06)]Phew glad I got that off my chest.
I bet you are... but for some one who uses the title 'SHUT UP EVERYONE', you have a lot to say that'll fuel debate... not extinguish it!

Oh... and if we were to follow your command, this would be a pretty poor message board... and after all that work the lads have put in to revamp the image of the site.

Shame.

tounge.gif

But on a more serious note... I tend to agree with a few of your points. However, whilst defending Constantine (with your own fair points), you skirted over the issue that he seems to have done a Rawle... and you have not looked at a balanced view from that perspective... that wounds have been re-opened on because of his behaviour.

It's not what he did... it's how he did it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ May 22 2004,18:15)]It's not what he did... it's how he did it.
Exactly...

I'm not surprised he's gone, nor can anyone be. I'm gutted we've lost our leading scorer, how can anyone not be?

But the way he's left leaves a bitter taste. Thats the most disappointing aspect.

With regards Connie going, we have two views. One from the club and one from the player.
The clubs view is the player wanted three times what he was on last term. My view on this is he is having a giraffe. Even if that was his starting point to be bid down, far too much

The players view is he wasnt even offered a contract.

The similarites between this situation and the Rawle one are, Both are strikers that were well liked at the club. Both left against the fans wishes.
With the rawle situation we only had the clubs view that being that he had verbally agreed a contract one day and was then due to come in and sign it. Then the next day he goes to Oxford and signs a contract for them
Vastly different I think and is why I have no real problem with Connie but totaly despise the way Rawle conducted his buisness

well said benfleetshrimp, i totally agree with every point you said!

This silly season as you wish to call it,is the most important part of any team.
We should have asettled side,with players to whom Tilly wants signed up,packed off on hiliday to recharge their batteries for the forth coming campaign.
However we are back to last seasons problem,half the team not signed up,manager not sure whether he can plunge intot he market before anyone of any worth is left,and therefore to quote you we end up an average 3 rd division team again.
So silly season this time of year it isn't ,but most possibly the most important stage in building ateam capable of getting at the least into the play offs.
mad.gif

Bigdel
are you seriously saying you dont understand why I and many others call it silly season?
In case you dont I will explain.
It has been tagged silly season because of all the fans expectations and hopes that certain players will sign. The likes of Royce and Powell as I have already mentioned and also Mark Kinsella. It seems every player who is out of contract gets linked with us or everyone starts talking about the possibilities of them signing for us.That is why I called it silly season
mad.gif
right back at you

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Benfleetshrimp @ May 22 2004,18:50)]It seems every player who is out of contract gets linked with us or everyone starts talking about the possibilities of them signing for us.That is why I called it silly season
mad.gif
 right back at you
Yeah I've heard we're after Alan Smith
biggrin.gif

Benfleetshrimp the reason I'm angry at Connie is because he didn't even bother to tell Tilly that he'd rejected our offer, he wanted 3 times as much as we offered(which may be a fair point if we were offering p*ss poor money I don't know) and he went to a club who are barely better than us. I would understand if it'd been a big div 2 or div 1 club, but Posh only just avoided relegation last season. I'm just angry because he was our best chance of getting promotion next season, and seeing as the club are completely run by Judas Barry Fry I doubt they offered that much more money.

Benfleetshrimp, people who score 25 goals one season don't have an off season the next time around. He can score goals-fact!

Was you one of the supporters who craved for Stanley to come back to be manager ?
If so then you must one of the people in the silly season thats does your head in,its dreaming of players that we cann't have,but it still doesn't stop us wanting.

We are a third division team,nearly a conference team,due to our inability to attract players on money that will commit them to the club.

So you will find many people in this silly season mood,until we can find a settled team.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bigdel @ May 22 2004,19:03)]Was you one of the supporters who craved for Stanley to come back to be manager ?
If so then you must one of the people in the silly season thats does your head in,its dreaming of players that we cann't have,but it still doesn't stop us wanting.

We are a third division team,nearly a conference team,due to our inability to attract players  on money that will commit them to the club.

So you will find many people in this silly season mood,until we can find a settled team.
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif
No I wasnt one of those supporters cying out for Stanley.
Silly season does me in because everyone looses their rational thought.
As I said in my original post we are an average 3rd Division side no more no less.

There are some good points raised for both sides of the argument.
One thing that you may all like to consider:-
What if Constantine also thinks that last season was a one off and he wouldn't repeat the same goal scoring record next season?
Don't you think he would take the best opportunity to come along?

My view is good luck to the bloke, and my thanks for keeping us in the league,

I am also agreeing on both sides. (I apoligise for my spelling but its a nice sunny day and in Leeds and its FA cup final day)
Leon is welcome to go I guess. after all who wouldn't want to better themselves.
But being willing to stay with silly amounts of money shows his arrogance about how good he thinks he is. I also agree with Shrimpboy, the reason I feel most of us are angry are because he told the club he would get back to them and the next thing he heart was that he had signed for Fat Boy.
Maher is a slightly different aspect because Maher is a proven player with Southend and in my opinion has been consistent for more then just this season, therefore if he was on a low wage (which his not but i assume Leon is) then I think he would deserve it, but maybe Leon should have asked for big goal bonuses then he may have got what he deserved.
And as commented on before its called silly season because people know they are being silly but are fantasising, which im sure we have all done at some point
wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimpboy @ May 22 2004,19:02)]Benfleetshrimp, people who score 25 goals one season don't have an off season the next time around. He can score goals-fact!
Fact is, Shrimpboy, Connie's gone and crying about it won't alter that fact. So what if he did stick 25 goals away for us last time round? Who cares if he does or doesn't manage to repeat that feat for the Posh next season? He won't be playing for us, so my interest in him as a player ceases from now on. I only support the Shrimpers, I'll only worry about Connie if we're playing Posh in a cup competition. But I wouldn't wish a broken leg on him or anybody else, for that matter. He has a right to do his best for himself in what may be a short career. He may have scored a few, but he hardly set the world alight in any other way out on the pitch, in my view. I'd miss Maher, but he too has the right to ply his trade at a higher level if he gets the opportunity.

Tilly's shown good sense in the transfer market thus far - e.g. Dudfield and Nicolau, though Che is a bit of a surprise retained player -  and I'm not about to turn on Tilly or Brush just because a player or two might want to earn more dosh elsewhere, whether us fans like them a lot or not.

I'll patiently wait to see what transpires over the summer break to see who Tilly does bring in as replacements. And I'll still get behind the lot of them when the season starts. Whoever they are.

Now, let's all move on...!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Benfleetshrimp @ May 22 2004,19:12)]As I said in my original post we are an average 3rd Division side no more no less.
You almost seem content with that!

Gary Jones scored thirty in the 3rd division one season and was awful the next shrimpboy. Im afraid you can have one season wonders, especially at this level.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Benfleetshrimp @ May 22 2004,18:06)]We are an average 3rd Division side. Thats it nothing more nothing less. Sure we had six seasons in the old Div 2 new Div1. And we played well whilst there. We have only won one peice of silverware. The fourth Div Championship in 81. (ESC doesnt count)
So shall we all give up and go support the Spammers?
sad.gif

We are the fans of this team through thick and or thin if we don't stick up for SUFC then who will?

Southend till I die. Whether we become champions of Europe of end up playing amateur football i will still love the club.

Thank god some people on here have some sense.

He did what any of us would have done and we were stupid to even consider he would stay with us after a season like that.

I say good luck to him!
biggrin.gif

Well done Benfleetshrimp i 100% agree with you. It's time we got over it.

blues.gif
I predict that next season we will all be going through this again with Gower
blues.gif

Im sorry but i disagree with alot of the points raised.

The first being Leon was going nowhere at the start of the season and Southend United Football Club gave him an opportunity which thankfully he took and excelled, SUFC put there neck out for him so why shouldnt we expect some loyalty in return? Why do we have to accept that Leon is a greedy f**k who could have stayed another season and REPAY SUFC with some loyalty, if he is as good as he thinks then in a years time he would have 2 good seasons under his belt and alot of Prem, 1st Div clubs knocking on our door. IMO Leon is to blame, for the lack of respect to SUFC and its Fans. And before someone says it yes i know there is no loyalty left in football but that doesnt mean we have to accept it.

As far as silly season goes, i like to hope, dream and imagine top class players at Roots Hall. I have supported the club all my life and to me they will never be a mediocre 3rd division club. Surely thats why we support them and not Man Ure because we can hope and dream. Along the way we even have some success or have you forgotten the Millenium Stadiun already or Benji putting the ball in the bury net?
rock.gif
?

he did pay us back with his 21 goals that kept us out of relegation.

Come on you have to be realistic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back