• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

EastStandBlue

Life President
When Ryan Shawcross trudged off the field in tears, the last thing the lad needed was to be hounded by a sense of indignation from Arsene Wenger and a loud collage of journalists and Arsenal fans alike. So, imagine the disgust when the pitch forks and stakes came out...

The challenge itself was, if anything, clumsy and mistimed. Shawcross’ foot remained planted to the floor throughout and replays suggest Bendtner restricted his view. Ramsey flew in at a reasonable speed and paid the price with a rumoured six fractures in his right leg... Simple laws of physics dictate that the little man will come off worse.

It’s the third substantial leg break Arsenal have picked up in as many seasons, but to suggest it is anything more than a freak coincidence is sadly misleading. Arsenal might be met with sterner opposition to counter-balance their over complicated passing game and it definitely isn’t ‘Joga Bonito’, but that’s essentially what football is at the highest level: A physical game of tactical chess.

Teams like Stoke and Bolton know full well that Arsenal’s midfield can be attacked, the simple tactical choice would be to reinforce the midfield with stronger options. It’s a simple problem that can be solved by simple solutions, however Arsene is a victim of the incessant belief he has in his own system and, instead, feels that this ugly problem can be fixed by a spate of public bleating.

It’s a tired record that is in distinct danger of breaking.

The real victim here, though, is Ryan Shawcross. A young defender of great ability has had his first England cap spoiled by the incessant ranting of a manager and the inevitable witch hunt that followed. Players and team mates alike have leapt to the defence of Shawcross, not one believing he actually has an ounce of venom in his body.

The saving grace could be the ongoing victimisation of John Terry, but I certainly wouldn’t bet against a tirade of abuse from disgruntled Arsenal fans incensed at the loss of one of their own starlets.

In a World Cup year when defensive options are running wafer-thin, a player of Shawcross’ potential could prove to be invaluable... But it’s almost tradition for England to hang their own out to dry.

and it definitely isn’t ‘Joga Bonito’

Just a (dull) point of Portuguese grammar, purely as a point of assistance for you...

The phrase which Brazilians use when talking about "the beautiful game" is a literal translation of those words: O jogo bonito - with O jogo being the noun, "the game".

Nike (IIRC) thought that they would cleverly coin a play on those words, and came up with the marketing slogan Joga Bonito. In that case, joga is the imperative of the verb jogar - "Play!"

You can tell it's a marketing ploy because, gramatically, the phrase Joga Bonito is pure Brooking-ese: "Play beautiful". "Bonito" is an adjective, not an adverb; "bonito" doesn't have a direct adverb, so far as I know, and so you would use another phrase such as Joga lindamente ("play beautifully") or, more probably, Joga bem ("play well").

Bottom line: if you want to avoid potential trademark infringement and instead to look like a brasileiro, go for the same phrase they use:

O jogo bonito

:)

Bugger it... I toyed with myself for a few minutes as to whether it was 'Joga' or 'Jogo'. I should've know that Nike would've opted for the incorrect version.

The real victim here, though, is Ryan Shawcross. A young defender of great ability has had his first England cap spoiled by the incessant ranting of a manager and the inevitable witch hunt that followed. .

Usually agree with your stuff ESB, but cant agree with this.

The real victim here is Aaron Ramsay. A Young midfielder of great ability has had his season spoiled by a reckless challenge from a defender who was never going to get the ball. And you have to kick someone pretty hard to break their leg in that manner.

I think Shawcross and Ramsey both deserve sympathy for their respective parts in an unfortunate accident. The only person who should come out of this badly is Wenger.

I am personally very pleased on the selection of RS for the England squad! What a day of mixed emotion that is for sure! He deserves the recognition and as long as his fellow professionals understand there was no malice in the challenge then RS should not worry too much else about what others say.

He made the England squad on merit and should be treated as an equal. His challenge was not studs up. It was badly timed.

If as a nation we conform to innocent until proven guilty then why are we not doing the same here?

The real victim here is Aaron Ramsay. A Young midfielder of great ability has had his season spoiled by a reckless challenge from a defender who was never going to get the ball. And you have to kick someone pretty hard to break their leg in that manner.

I'm not saying Aaron Ramsay isn't a victim, it's hugely unfortunate for such a young player to have an injury of that extent, but I believe that Shawcross only had eyes on the ball, couldn't see Ramsay through Bendtner and dove in to clear it.

And, if anything, previous injuries have shown that you don't have to make that much contact to injury someone if both parties are travelling at speed.

If as a nation we conform to innocent until proven guilty then why are we not doing the same here?

Call me old fashioned but by breaking someone's leg its a fair bet to say you were guilty of bad challenge.

Call me old fashioned but by breaking someone's leg its a fair bet to say you were guilty of bad challenge.

My point though...

That RS is not guilty of trying to injure the Arsenal player. A bad challenge yes. But guilty of having the intention to injure Ramsay? No!

My point though...

That RS is not guilty of trying to injure the Arsenal player. A bad challenge yes. But guilty of having the intention to injure Ramsay? No!

I agree. No intent at all but possibly more reckless than should be allowed.

I too feel sorry for the bloke but i would rather be in his shoes than Ramsays at the moment.

I agree. No intent at all but possibly more reckless than should be allowed.

I too feel sorry for the bloke but i would rather be in his shoes than Ramsays at the moment.

I doubt Ramsay is wearing any shoes at the moment mate :whistling:

MOTD showed a still picture that was a split second prior to Shawcross and Ramsey making contact. The angle of Ramseys foot is such that IMO, and I'm no expert, that even a small amount of contact was going to hurt Ramsey.

Poor old Ryan Shawcross? How on earth is he the victim here? Was he temporarily possessed by some 'The Exorcist' style demonic power just before he lunged at Aaron Ramsay? Does he suffer from chronic tunnel vision that means he saw the ball but missed the fact it was attached to Ramays's foot? Of course not.

I'm sure the lad does feel quite bad about the tackle. But I bet Ramsay feels worse, after all he's the one with the double leg fracture whilst Shawcross suffered nothing worst than tear-filled stinging eyes. It reminds me of when your parents used to say 'This is going to hurt me more than it'll hurt you' shortly before emphatically proving that what a ridiculous thing it was to say.

Poor old Ryan Shawcross? How on earth is he the victim here? Was he temporarily possessed by some 'The Exorcist' style demonic power just before he lunged at Aaron Ramsay? Does he suffer from chronic tunnel vision that means he saw the ball but missed the fact it was attached to Ramays's foot? Of course not.

QUOTE]

That's the thing though. I don't think he did lunge at Aaron Ramsey, he went for the ball but, unfortunately for both of them, due to Ramsey's speed, fractions of a second later Ramseys in-turned foot was where the ball had previously been. Freak accident as far as I can tell.

Back