• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

DTS

The Business
I personally am at fever pitch for the new season. The signings of Harris and Johnson(and to a lesser degree the Palace chap) have really got me going.

However I cant help but think that not all these wonder signings actually turn out good. I am looking for a list of players that really got us going but never really delievered the goods.

Keira Gilbert.

When I saw that we had signed Gilbert I remember wetting myself with excitement. An attacking Arsenal full back in the mould of or Ashley Cole - what more could you want. I had seen his debut on TV for the Arse vs Everton whilst drinking at Prenton Par before a another Tranmere vidtory against us and he looked the business.

Myself and the bloke from the pram shop went to the Crawley pre-season game and Gilbert again looked the business with his marauding runs and willingness to get forward.

Sadly as we all know he was in fact total crap. He was lucky not to get sent off in his first game vs Orient for slapping someone and he never really delivered and was sent packing back to Arsenal.

Who else has let you down.....

Mitchell Cole for me he was supposed to be the non league Ryan Giggs and a few clubs were after him but failed to deliver :(

Sanchez Watt, saw him in Carling Cup a few times and looked mustard. Unfortunately it proved he was more Tesco Value than Colmans.

Neville Southall is a good shout too - such an absolute legend in the game and I think he played something like 13 games and we didnt win one of them?? He was generally fat, sweaty and rubbish.

Michael Ricketts led me to believe we was going places.... unfortunately it was "Downwards"!

David Whyte.....had been amongst the top scorers in the Championship (or equivalent) and thought he was going to tear up the lower divisions with us......

Sada N'Diaye....first real foreign signing, but rubbish.

Ben Smith - apprently had been the best player in the conference and thought he would boss the midfield for us.....did he ever play?

Jason Harris - Had previously gone for 6 figures, had pace, and was a Webb signing. Surely he would bang in the goals for fun. All I remember about him was that he took a lot of long throws.

Stephen Broad - Captain of Chelsea reserves, understandably could not get into their star studded side but surely the lower divisions should be a canter for him......sadly didn't seem to really like football that much and spoke about giving it up to go travelling.....

David Whyte.....had been amongst the top scorers in the Championship (or equivalent) and thought he was going to tear up the lower divisions with us......

Got to apologise for that one, it was me that recommended him to Alvin Martin....... :unsure:

Mitchell Cole for me he was supposed to be the non league Ryan Giggs and a few clubs were after him but failed to deliver :(

Mine too as when he did play he was one of the most exciting wingers Ive seen in a long time. Just couldnt seem to handle the physical side of the game.

Of course Ricketts is up there too. Dont often get an England International sign, and for him to be as poor as he was obviously a disappintement.

TBH when Ricketts signed I knew he was over weight and washed up so did not really expect anything from him!

Agreed he was abit lightweight but on the other hand another player that was not really given the chance by Tilly IMO he could of helped him bulk up abit and had more faith in him!

Tony Currie , Leon Gutzmore , Jimmy Corbett , Gary Hooper , Jerome Boere , Paul Byrne , Mike Marsh , Steve Harkness , Andy Harris , Rhys Evans , Phil Whelan , Miguel Commingues

Tony Currie , Leon Gutzmore , Jimmy Corbett , Gary Hooper , Jerome Boere , Paul Byrne , Mike Marsh , Steve Harkness , Andy Harris , Rhys Evans , Phil Whelan , Miguel Commingues

With Hooper he was not given a chance, Phil Whelan was a former U21 international and probably played for the club at the wrong time when we were really struggling with some terrible players in the squad! Mike Marsh i think suffered the same fate but was quality in spells. Injuries ruined Andy Harris IMO he was quality before he had that major lay off and was never the same after.

Jimmy Corbett was supposed to be the next big thing when he was at Blackburn and oh how wrong were they lol

Back