• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Simeon Akinola

Wanted to play league football and ended up getting dicked around by us, would be my summary. Good luck to him. Not sure where he is with match fitness - assume he must be no-where near given that we're struggling to name forwards currently.

Wanted to play league football and ended up getting dicked around by us, would be my summary. Good luck to him. Not sure where he is with match fitness - assume he must be no-where near given that we're struggling to name forwards currently.

Probably still insisting on taking penalties.

Wanted to play football, didn’t have the minerals.

FORMER Southend United striker Simeon Akinola is looking to excel on and off the pitch after signing for Wealdstone.

Akinola’s frustrating two year spell with the Shrimpers finished at the end of last season.

But the 30-year-old striker scored on his Stones debut against Boreham Wood on Saturday.
And he is relishing being back in action after enduring a difficult time at Roots Hall.
“It's been a frustrating couple of years for several reasons but I am now ready to jump in and get some minutes,” said Akinola.

“I’ve been working on my fitness for quite a while now to make sure I’m in top condition because it’s important to have full trust in my body again after being out for so long.”
“And I’m very excited to be playing again because I haven’t played consistently for 18 months or even longer than that.”
Akinola joined Blues from Barnet in the summer of 2020 but had to wait to make his debut due to a transfer embargo.
Upon his return to action, Akinola could not stop the Shrimpers suffering relegation and was frozen out by manager Phil Brown the following season.

Brown eventually handed Akinola an unexpected recall against Eastleigh in October 2021 but the forward suffered a serious knee injury which eventually ruled him out for the rest of the season.
And it was a frustrating time for the forward.
“The embargo, at the time, was a situation I hadn’t lived before and it wasn’t one I anticipated before signing either,” said Akinola.
“Under Phil Brown, when I played against Eastleigh which was when the injury came I just wanted to play and prove myself.
“I wanted to try and show what he was missing but unfortunately I hadn’t been training with the first team at the time so in many ways playing that game was a recipe for disaster.
“You put eagerness alongside a lack of preparation and you’re likely to get injured.
“Unfortunately that’s what happened and it was quite frustrating. I was out for a while and it was something quite serious.

Brown was sacked just four days after the Eastleigh game and was replaced in the hot-seat by Kevin Maher who brought Akinola’s former Barnet boss Darren Currie as his assistant.
The duo opted not to hand the striker a new deal at the end of the season but did allow him to train with the club during pre-season.
However, that was also cut short by injury as Akinola suffered a hamstring problem during a warm up fixture at Kettering.
“First of all I’m grateful they allowed me to get up to scratch with the rest of the boys and to use their facilities too,” said Akinola.
“The latest injury was one they probably didn’t want to see because in their head they want everyone in top condition as Southend should be among the sides going for the National League title.
“They wanted to bring in their own players too and it was perfectly understandable.”

Akinola continued his rehabilitation elsewhere but he will forever be grateful for the support he received while with the Shrimpers.
I’m very grateful to the Southend fans,” said Akinola.
“They’ve been very supportive when my performances hadn’t been up to scratch.
“I remember the season in League Two, granted the team had issues off the field and Mark Molesley couldn’t really bring in the players he wanted, but I’m big on personal responsibility and I think I could have performed better for sure.

“But the fans were always on my side and I’m not exactly sure why.
“I’ll always be grateful and they are some of the best fans I’ve ever had.

It’s a big, big shame they didn’t get the chance to see what I’m capable of.
“But I genuinely want to wish the club well.

“Being managed by Kev and Daz they’re heading in the right direction.
The players are brilliant as well and I wish them all the best moving forward.”
Akinola departed having scored twice in 25 games.
But he is now focusing on more than just football and made the most of his spell on the sidelines where that was concerned.
“During my time out injured I’ve discovered a passion for things outside of football,” said Akinola.
“I’ve always had a keen interest in business, tech and finance.
“I’ve been exploring some options in those avenues because a football career is a short one.
“You get to around 35 and have to stop.
“Being candid we don’t get paid enough at this level to be able to retire after that so you have to think about life after football.
“I’ve proactively begun that transition by having my own network and conversations with friends who work in areas that interest me.”
And Akinola, who has a degree, also wants to show what footballers can be capable of.
“I’ve got a first in computer systems engineering,” said Akinola.

FORMER Southend United striker Simeon Akinola is looking to excel on and off the pitch after signing for Wealdstone.

Akinola’s frustrating two year spell with the Shrimpers finished at the end of last season.

But the 30-year-old striker scored on his Stones debut against Boreham Wood on Saturday.
And he is relishing being back in action after enduring a difficult time at Roots Hall.
“It's been a frustrating couple of years for several reasons but I am now ready to jump in and get some minutes,” said Akinola.

“I’ve been working on my fitness for quite a while now to make sure I’m in top condition because it’s important to have full trust in my body again after being out for so long.”
“And I’m very excited to be playing again because I haven’t played consistently for 18 months or even longer than that.”
Akinola joined Blues from Barnet in the summer of 2020 but had to wait to make his debut due to a transfer embargo.
Upon his return to action, Akinola could not stop the Shrimpers suffering relegation and was frozen out by manager Phil Brown the following season.

Brown eventually handed Akinola an unexpected recall against Eastleigh in October 2021 but the forward suffered a serious knee injury which eventually ruled him out for the rest of the season.
And it was a frustrating time for the forward.
“The embargo, at the time, was a situation I hadn’t lived before and it wasn’t one I anticipated before signing either,” said Akinola.
“Under Phil Brown, when I played against Eastleigh which was when the injury came I just wanted to play and prove myself.
“I wanted to try and show what he was missing but unfortunately I hadn’t been training with the first team at the time so in many ways playing that game was a recipe for disaster.
“You put eagerness alongside a lack of preparation and you’re likely to get injured.
“Unfortunately that’s what happened and it was quite frustrating. I was out for a while and it was something quite serious.

Brown was sacked just four days after the Eastleigh game and was replaced in the hot-seat by Kevin Maher who brought Akinola’s former Barnet boss Darren Currie as his assistant.
The duo opted not to hand the striker a new deal at the end of the season but did allow him to train with the club during pre-season.
However, that was also cut short by injury as Akinola suffered a hamstring problem during a warm up fixture at Kettering.
“First of all I’m grateful they allowed me to get up to scratch with the rest of the boys and to use their facilities too,” said Akinola.
“The latest injury was one they probably didn’t want to see because in their head they want everyone in top condition as Southend should be among the sides going for the National League title.
“They wanted to bring in their own players too and it was perfectly understandable.”

Akinola continued his rehabilitation elsewhere but he will forever be grateful for the support he received while with the Shrimpers.
I’m very grateful to the Southend fans,” said Akinola.
“They’ve been very supportive when my performances hadn’t been up to scratch.
“I remember the season in League Two, granted the team had issues off the field and Mark Molesley couldn’t really bring in the players he wanted, but I’m big on personal responsibility and I think I could have performed better for sure.

“But the fans were always on my side and I’m not exactly sure why.
“I’ll always be grateful and they are some of the best fans I’ve ever had.

It’s a big, big shame they didn’t get the chance to see what I’m capable of.
“But I genuinely want to wish the club well.

“Being managed by Kev and Daz they’re heading in the right direction.
The players are brilliant as well and I wish them all the best moving forward.”
Akinola departed having scored twice in 25 games.
But he is now focusing on more than just football and made the most of his spell on the sidelines where that was concerned.
“During my time out injured I’ve discovered a passion for things outside of football,” said Akinola.
“I’ve always had a keen interest in business, tech and finance.
“I’ve been exploring some options in those avenues because a football career is a short one.
“You get to around 35 and have to stop.
“Being candid we don’t get paid enough at this level to be able to retire after that so you have to think about life after football.
“I’ve proactively begun that transition by having my own network and conversations with friends who work in areas that interest me.”
And Akinola, who has a degree, also wants to show what footballers can be capable of.
“I’ve got a first in computer systems engineering,” said Akinola.
Thanks for this, Ronnie. Sounds a really level-headed guy.

A superb Athletic profilr on him and his transition to a post-football career.

Unsurprisingly Phil Brown comes out looking a complete arse.

It is behind a paywall though so you will need to subscribe.

A superb Athletic profilr on him and his transition to a post-football career.

Unsurprisingly Phil Brown comes out looking a complete arse.

It is behind a paywall though so you will need to subscribe.

You can read the article here

Back