• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Simon Cox

decent player and helped link the play more than most up front.. gave his all and not given a chance since sol came in..looks to be a good move for him and wish him all the best. well done coxy.

Last quality player we will see for some time in a Southend shirt .Clearly a season too far in the current downward climate.However will remember him in the same way as players like Firmani and Clayton who were a pleasure to watch and the standout players of their time with us.

Last edited:
Is off.

To Australia. Western Sydney Wanderers.

Couldn't say any more than I did earlier on the transfer thread, but what I posted was from info I had from his brother, via my work colleague who was best man for his brother and close friends with the family. He was never going to go to Swindon, as he wasn't prepared to drop to L2.

Didn't fit in with the new regime, neither did his wage, so time to go. I won't forget his efforts for us especially last season. but hopefully this will free up the budget for a signing or two.

Thanks for your time and effort with us Coxy!!

Last edited:
Last quality player we will see for some time in a Southend shirt .Clearly a season too far in the current downward climate.However will remember him in the same way as players like Firmani and Clayton and who were a pleasure to watch and the standout players of their time with us.
Firmani and Clayton
Names which send me back in wondrous dreams
Such quality such class
Chuck in Phil Chisnall and you’ve got a beau memory bank ?

I never said he was a major reason for our demise?

There’s plenty of other factors at play there.
Agree with the second sentence, but the four Cox claims you make are guesswork, and frankly unfair to one of our better players over the last two seasons.
'MASSIVE' drain on wages?
No. he's not, and this time I am speaking with a bit of knowledge you alluded to.

Can anyone who has claimed Cox was a bad influence on players tell us what players disliked him/he bullied younger players etc. All I’ve seen is an outpouring of support for him since the announcement

Agree with the second sentence, but the four Cox claims you make are guesswork, and frankly unfair to one of our better players over the last two seasons.
'MASSIVE' drain on wages?
No. he's not, and this time I am speaking with a bit of knowledge you alluded to.

They’re “guesswork” based on testimony from two separate sources. Both of which, pair up. No I won’t name names, and no I won’t elaborate further.

You haven’t got to be Poirot to work out that he’s a drain on funds though. He was one of our top earners, and he hadn’t been anywhere near the first team in a few games .

He wasn’t going to play for this club again.

I’d call that a drain on wages, but by all means, you don’t have to concur.

As for the rest, well, it’s all there for you to see.

You’re entitled to your beliefs, sure. Ignore my musings altogether. No big deal. I won’t lose any sleep over it.

Can a MOD please change the title of this thread - he's not left, just got him back .... for SUEPA!

See our Facebook and Twitter pages for details.

We are SUEPA quick.

Four signings for SUEPA in a week. Catch up Sol. :Smile:

Sad to see him go and don't think a player of his class and dedication will be easily replaced. Although I haven't a clue about what happens behind the scene (as 99% of this forum) I find it hard to believe all the stuff mentioned about him being a bad influence and lack of commitment There has only been guess work and conjecture and no concrete proof.. He's always given 100% when I have seen him play. I find it strange there are so many people thanking him and wishing him good luck when most posts over the past six months have been so critical. Another player gone under a black cloud.

Sad to see him go and don't think a player of his class and dedication will be easily replaced. Although I haven't a clue about what happens behind the scene (as 99% of this forum) I find it hard to believe all the stuff mentioned about him being a bad influence and lack of commitment There has only been guess work and conjecture and no concrete proof.. He's always given 100% when I have seen him play. I find it strange there are so many people thanking him and wishing him good luck when most posts over the past six months have been so critical. Another player gone under a black cloud.

If going against authority because the players have no hot water after training , for complaining at the state of the dressing rooms , showers and facilities are worse than some Sunday league outfits and for being the spokesperson for poor training methods and a clueless tactical set up is a reason for being a bad egg then so be it .

Who’s the arrogant one out of this situation - the one emotional saying goodbye or the manager not even taking off his headphones to say goodbye ?

If going against authority because the players have no hot water after training , for complaining at the state of the dressing rooms , showers and facilities are worse than some Sunday league outfits and for being the spokesperson for poor training methods and a clueless tactical set up is a reason for being a bad egg then so be it .

Who’s the arrogant one out of this situation - the one emotional saying goodbye or the manager not even taking off his headphones to say goodbye ?
Poor training methods started way before Campbell rocked up.

But there’s clueless and being a nice bloke and then there’s clueless and being arrogant along the way

To me, saying someone is a drain in wages means that we're not getting the output we should compared to the input and I don't think that's the case at all. He has been top goal scorer since he arrived and has been the most intelligent player we've had for a long time. Two things worth paying up for if you ask me.

Simply put where would be without those goals? Probably in League Two already and for the last two years.

Thank you Simon for all your hard work.

Good luck in Oz Simon,
The only bit of class in our team in a sorry season.
The only player (in the games he has played) who has any idea of forward play.
His movement, and vision, and looking for players, who are not even moving off the ball in front of him, leaves him exasperated , you can see it. Probably too intelligent for League 1
But not the legs enough for the championship, means he has no where left to go.

League two would have seen him get kicked week in week out, and he may have received a career ending injury this way.

Berated refs too much for my liking, but as older players tend to do....its a way of stopping running and taking a breather.

He would only have done that more in league tow as the refereeing standard is much worse.

Onwards and upwards (hopefully)

Good luck to Simon, we've had three wonderful seasons watching him, just a shame this last 6 months has been rather less enjoyable..

He always came along to our JB events and the kids loved to see him there - he was the favourite for so many of them. He's also been very gracious in all the comments I've seen on Twitter, and said a lot of good things about his time with us - whatever may or may not have happened.

I can certainly think of worse places to play your football career out!

A couple of posters this week said Cox was training with Swindon. I mentioned Reading, saying that Simon Cox once said he would like to go back to coach or Manage them one day. If I can find it, I will put the link on here.
Maybe Swindon wouldn't offer enough wages or were not impressed enough to take him on. Was a good source said he trained at Swindon.

Can anyone who has claimed Cox was a bad influence on players tell us what players disliked him/he bullied younger players etc. All I’ve seen is an outpouring of support for him since the announcement
Totally agree with you Clarky, how about some true stories not what your mate told you down the pub ! I don’t will be enlightened

Currently living in Sydney, not actually been to see an A-League game yet, tempted to pop along ??
A league is pretty poor standard mid league 1 level at best - I've been watching Melbourne Victory for past 12 years. Which also means I saw a fair bit of Milligan (before he got old) and he wasn't that great for Victory and left twice for more money

Back