• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Simon Cox

I doubt any player respected Bond, it was a baffling appointment to start with. Cox maybe was more vocal but he is that sort of character. Perhaps if Waddock hadn't been totally undermined by Ron with his public pursuit of Larsson and then crawling back to Campbell, there'd have been a tad more respect there. GW got the best results of all 3 managers this season after all and was the 'experienced lower league manager' a lot on here were asking for. Not saying he'd have got us out of the relegation zone but he was getting more of a tune out of that lot than Bond was. Campbell has come in, it's Campbell's regime and Cox wasn't part of it. But he didn't want to be ....... so best result for all I think.

Cox showed zero interest In the last few weeks under CP. Yes he was asked to lead the line but with Hop and Hump seriously injured what choice did CP have?

Yes some of the service was far to aerial but i have seen Matt Rush, when he was smaller than he is now, do more to make the best out of those kind of balls.

Then income Duncan and Mayer and try Acquah (to early) in order to suit Cox. From the moment we kicked off Shrewsbury defenders were shirt pulling and nudging on the limit, even off the ball in order to rattle the debutant..... Cox never said a word....Not even in the refs ear and we all know what would happen if they did it to him.

Then Bond under similar pressure risks Humphrys far to early v Wycombe. Yet again Cox never says a word and at times they were 50yds apart. Then Acquah comes on for Hump....You can look this up for yourselves on Youtube the Wycombe first goal. I think it was Elvis who cleared the ball and its Acquah's first challenge. He does enough with his challenge but look where Cox is in a game we were desperate not to lose. As a side also keep your eye on where Dieng is in the build up for that crucial first goal. Remember he was CM and not CB in that game.

We had the bizzare pre, pre-seaon injury which has been well covered but I rather hoped last seasons woes were forgotten. First Home game Hump gets a deliberate and targeted elbow on the blindside of the ref after just 10mins.....For once Cox was very shy and never said a word. Hump disappeared for 20 minutes but Cox didn't take over and they had an easy time just heading it straight back.....For the rest of Bonds time it was obvious that Cox had no time for him

Onto Waddock, who Cox publicly praised. Yet when Kelman went off with (yet another) first half injury....Cox was openly having his say to the bench and decided he would play where he wanted and not where the boss wanted.....No wonder GW was his favourite.

Sol may well be as made as a box of frogs but Coxe's departure has been coming long before Sol arrived. When i watched Cox in the warm up v Oxford, he openly refused to do what AC wanted and even walked off to talk to someone in front of 6 or 7 players doing the shooting drill......The best bit was Cox had a chance first half that was the very same that AC was trying to create.....Cox never even got his shot away.

We still had a chance of staying up back then. Obviously Cox was not bothered as it wouldn't suit him personally. How long had that been going on?

Yes he was more than good for the first 2 seasons and we can make excuses because of his girl friend problems and fair play maybe a new life will suite them both. It may also be that the opportunity is better for her....I'm sure you all know of City boys or girls who have improved their lot by heading for Sydney.

He has obviously worked with better mangers, coaches, players and facilities......But its not our fault that he had to drop down to a lower league club earlier than he wanted. His actions are far more than just a spokesperson or 'barrack room lawyer'......He has let the punters down, which is unforgivable if you are in a job where its all about the punters.....So for that reason his time will be remembered by me as.....Well a game of two halves and you all know what that means.

@rigsby makes fair points and ones that can't be ignored.

I have no doubt that Cox ran that dressing room. He has a massive influence on people around him and a lot of people will love him for it. For those he wasn't fond of though, he seemed to make their time here a bit ****, almost like a bit of a bully. The first 2 seasons when his little clique were here it wasn't massively noticable on the pitch as they were all first teamers. This created a big divide in the camp and ultimately led to PBs sacking. CP felt the need to get rid of as many of them as possible and did so probably a bit too quickly. He seemed to be the only voice in the dressing room this last 12-18 months and IMO it shows.

There's a reason an ex coach of ours desribed Cox as "having an acid tongue".

I know you have issues with him Rigsby, and i agree to a point. But some of those incidents you mention, especially Acquah I do not remember any player going to the ref and having a word, similarly with the Hump incident you mention. The may have been a clique, but the team ethos in that squad was fantastic, but during the period you mention the whole team ethos for a period seem to disappear, hopefully it is coming back now.

BUt overall I agree with you just don't think its always fair to think its only one person. He has gone now he gave us some good times, now time has moved on and we need to ficus on the squad now and try to help them

Simon Cox was one of those that when he was good, he was really good, and when he was bad, he was terrible, like this season, when he was just terrible. Clearly attitude problems from reports. When he thinks he's to good to listen to people like Andy Cole, then you know his attitude stinks. I heard that him, Timlin and Ferdinand fancied a joint Manager thing before Chris Powell took over, even turning up out of the blue to watch a reserve game at Stevenage or MK Dons or similar, to put themselves in the frame. Cox did not talk to, and tried not to pass to anyone he fell out with, normally another striker. He would not stick up for anyone on the pitch he fell out with. So thanks Simon for all the good moments on the pitch when you tried hard, and some cracking goals, and assists. Thanks for the Junior Blues involvement, and hospital visits to sick kids. But no thanks to all the off field stuff, and the negative and unhelpful influence.

I know you have issues with him Rigsby, and i agree to a point. But some of those incidents you mention, especially Acquah I do not remember any player going to the ref and having a word, similarly with the Hump incident you mention. The may have been a clique, but the team ethos in that squad was fantastic, but during the period you mention the whole team ethos for a period seem to disappear, hopefully it is coming back now.

BUt overall I agree with you just don't think its always fair to think its only one person. He has gone now he gave us some good times, now time has moved on and we need to ficus on the squad now and try to help them

I don't have favourites and nor do I have a record of targeting players, or even owners at SUFC. I have avoided off field stories ( Cox drinking club ones are my favourite) because they can't be relied on and as I know for a fact with people like PB... Are sometimes just absolute BS

I always judge from each game I see and what happens on the pitch. Although we all see things differently as we watch, at least thats the best place to start. Even players I don't really rate I will always praise when the deserve it.....Even argue their case with angry shrimpers in the stands

I'm sure many of you know from your own careers, how important it is to set the right example to younger lads when your a team...If your the senior man, a word in the ear of the boss can go along way. Public fallouts and openly questioning, followed by sulky performances are not only divisive but in the end you are never respected by the team members you are trying to impress in the first place....They respect good example at lot better.

Let that be a lesson for us all.

I don't have favourites and nor do I have a record of targeting players, or even owners at SUFC. I have avoided off field stories ( Cox drinking club ones are my favourite) because they can't be relied on and as I know for a fact with people like PB... Are sometimes just absolute BS

I always judge from each game I see and what happens on the pitch. Although we all see things differently as we watch, at least thats the best place to start. Even players I don't really rate I will always praise when the deserve it.....Even argue their case with angry shrimpers in the stands

I'm sure many of you know from your own careers, how important it is to set the right example to younger lads when your a team...If your the senior man, a word in the ear of the boss can go along way. Public fallouts and openly questioning, followed by sulky performances are not only divisive but in the end you are never respected by the team members you are trying to impress in the first place....They respect good example at lot better.

Let that be a lesson for us all.

I didn't mean singling out or you had favourites etc, apologies if that is what you thought, i meant with what you know and therefore him being a bad influence base don that. Again apologies if i didn't get that across.

I didn't mean singling out or you had favourites etc, apologies if that is what you thought, i meant with what you know and therefore him being a bad influence base don that. Again apologies if i didn't get that across.
them

No I didn't think you were singling me out so that OK.

I was really making a general point because some on here have been called out if they are not the biggest fans of Simon Cox. They have good sources and they cant always reveal who told them for obvious reasons.

I know he hasn’t been in the squad, but he has ( I assume) been at training.
It will be interesting to see if we see a step change in performance tomorrow is some players feel “relieved “ that he has gone

Don't pocket the team whip should be the first one.....Especially if its the Chairman's money.
Yes! Didn't endear himself pre Xmas with that one! And thinking the non invited players don't talk to each other about it !
we now have Campbell -with no desire to communicate with players, no CEO to be the link in the middle . Players having to contact RM directly to find out what's going on-a chairman that agrees Kiernans exit deal but because RM and S C barely communicate had no idea until Kiernan mentioned it after which he's now playing instead of leaving as there's no one to take his place.
It's a bit of a shambles and it's not fair reading the players are to blame all the time! They have an inexperienced manager with a lack of coaching experience and man management skills and no CEO, thanks to RM who means well but is who driven

And I thought it was the chairman's spending money that was meant for all of them

Last edited:
Yes! Didn't endear himself pre Xmas with that one! And thinking the non invited players don't talk to each other about it !
we now have Campbell -with no desire to communicate with players, no CEO to be the link in the middle . Players having to contact RM directly to find out what's going on-a chairman that agrees Kiernans exit deal but because RM and S C barely communicate had no idea until Kiernan mentioned it after which he's now playing instead of leaving as there's no one to take his place.
It's a bit of a shambles and it's not fair reading the players are to blame all the time! They have an inexperienced manager with a lack of coaching experience and man management skills and no CEO, thanks to RM who means well but is who driven

Or not?

Oooh I think it’s incredibly fair and just to blame them, for the overwhelming majority of this mess.

Now, Sol may well be an awful manager. I’ve got no doubt he will fail here, but being objective, he’s essentially been setup to fail - albeit unintentionally.

For what this group of players have done to this Club over the last few years, is simply unforgivable.

Of course, it’s easy to blame Sol now - just as it was easy to blame the man before him, Waddock. Then of course, before Waddock, it was Bond who was to blame. And not forgetting the icing on the cake, even one of our own - Chris Powell - got hung out to dry.

Sorry, but the sympathy ship, has longed sailed.

Reading on Twitter that his girlfriend is not accompanying him but instead, will make frequent visits. That seems very strange but does seem to suggest that they do want to keep a base here.

Oooh I think it’s incredibly fair and just to blame them, for the overwhelming majority of this mess.

Now, Sol may well be an awful manager. I’ve got no doubt he will fail here, but being objective, he’s essentially been setup to fail - albeit unintentionally.

For what this group of players have done to this Club over the last few years, is simply unforgivable.

Of course, it’s easy to blame Sol now - just as it was easy to blame the man before him, Waddock. Then of course, before Waddock, it was Bond who was to blame. And not forgetting the icing on the cake, even one of our own - Chris Powell - got hung out to dry.

Sorry, but the sympathy ship, has longed sailed.

Have to agree with lots of that but a chairman trying to do so many roles - especially the CEO role always will cause issues when he's not there himself or satisfying his own ego. Although I appreciate it's his money and his prerogative. And without it the club would be gone.
But, I feel the lack of the all important middle man is a big part of it. Deals with pay contracts transfers and releasing players
i can't disagree though that at times the players have eased off

Have to agree with lots of that but a chairman trying to do so many roles - especially the CEO role always will cause issues when he's not there himself or satisfying his own ego. Although I appreciate it's his money and his prerogative. And without it the club would be gone.
But, I feel the lack of the all important middle man is a big part of it. Deals with pay contracts transfers and releasing players
i can't disagree though that at times the players have eased off

Yep, a lack of a decent CEO, has certainly hurt us.

There’s been a general disconnect between the management side of this football club, and the employee side.

Things haven’t really been the same since we lost Steve Kav and Tara.

Yep, a lack of a decent CEO, has certainly hurt us.

There’s been a general disconnect between the management side of this football club, and the employee side.

Things haven’t really been the same since we lost Steve Kav and Tara.

I'd go further, Steve Waggott was a very welcome temporary incumbent, and Danny Macklin had the makings of a very decent CEO and is doing a good job at Orient. Given the chance he'd have done ok with us too.

For all the accusations of him being a bad egg the lad was an international, ex Prem and there are plenty of them who just go down the leagues and live off their reputation. Coxy always gave top effort on the field and his goal record in a bang average team in the twighlight of his career is testament to the pro I firmly believe he is

Back