• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Simon Cox...What is he?

THE SEVENTIES NORTH BANK

Life President⭐⭐
Is it now pointless playing Simon Cox? He's meant to be a striker, but is sort of pretending to be a midfielder. But he hasn't got the legs to be a midfielder, leaving us badly exposed in the middle. So why play him at all? He's not scoring or making goals. Surely it's better to play a proper mobile midfielder? On Saturday he actually looked slimmer, but slower, and got caught out a few times.

On saturday he started up front, then went to midfield after subs were made. I have said all season when Bond played him there it is pointless as it isnt his position. To me he is doing what he is asked to do, and it just shows the lack of players available or talent in the team that you ask your leading goalscorer for the last 3 seasons to play in midfield. He has never been the quickest but his brain makes up for that, he lost the ball for one of the goals but he chased back, what I noticed was though that no defender came to the ball and the keeper stayed a yard form his line, just a cacophony of errors.

He could do the 10 role but I think Hutchinson is better suited. If we are to play this 5-2-1-2 system Id have Hutch behind Hopper and Cox with Macca at left wing back.

On saturday he started up front, then went to midfield after subs were made. I have said all season when Bond played him there it is pointless as it isnt his position. To me he is doing what he is asked to do, and it just shows the lack of players available or talent in the team that you ask your leading goalscorer for the last 3 seasons to play in midfield. He has never been the quickest but his brain makes up for that, he lost the ball for one of the goals but he chased back, what I noticed was though that no defender came to the ball and the keeper stayed a yard form his line, just a cacophony of errors.

He could do the 10 role but I think Hutchinson is better suited. If we are to play this 5-2-1-2 system Id have Hutch behind Hopper and Cox with Macca at left wing back.

I would have Cox one of a front two, Macca where he was Sat, and Hutchinson in CM. If cox can focus on what he is good at rather than run himself into ground covering deficiencies elsewhere it would be a step forward.

I would have Cox one of a front two, Macca where he was Sat, and Hutchinson in CM. If cox can focus on what he is good at rather than run himself into ground covering deficiencies elsewhere it would be a step forward.
Happy to stay with that myself also, just at times think Hutch gets knocked off the ball a little easy and isnt strong enough in the tackle. SO him at 10 and Macca at wing back means we should get crosses in and he can tackle, we also then have Hutchinsons creativity.

but happy to stay with what you say as long as we get cox back up top doing what he has done well for the last 3 years,

He’s done. Mentally & physically.
Watch the third goal from Saturday. He simply gives up, which sums it up, unfortunately.

Also hard to ignore the rumours of his divisive personality in the dressing room.

I thought the frustration on his face (and also the gesture of frustraction he made) after he tried to get a tackle in (and failed) on the guy who scored their fourth said it all really.He's obviously royally fed up with losing every week.

I dont think he gave up at all, i think it was frustration that everyone backed off and didnt try to block, there were a lot of other players who were arm waving on Saturday not just him. He isnt a midfielder its clear to see , but he went in there and tried, tried harder than some others did at the weekend thats for sure.

Not defending him and the team at all, I cannot think of one stand out player this season so far. Every position is weak and not playing as a team, they all need a massive kick up the back side and realise being a pro footballer is an honour a lot of people would swap position with them.

I've always been one of Coxy's biggest supporters, but I think the lack of a pre season this year has basically finished him off. He looks a pale shadow of his former self and has lost another yard of pace. I'd suggest persisting with Hopper and Goodship for the time being and trying to get them to form a partnership.

It actually came to mind on Saturday that we've essentially lost two of our most important players. With Demetriou's knees giving up and Cox's body giving up, they may as well have left us in the summer, so that's a huge blow just to add to all of our other problems.

Still think he is one of the few who really cares about getting beat and what some people see in his body language is the sheer frustration we are all feeling
Brings so much to the team if it was normal times .....however he is being dragged into positions and situations due to the poorest midfield in living memory.
He offers so much when we are playing well as team...and there's your problem...can anyone now remember a game where we actually were attacking teams and putting them under pressure.
To all those people attacking one of the few quality players left ...just remember what football on the ground looks like when league 2 hoof ball returns

I've always been one of Coxy's biggest supporters, but I think the lack of a pre season this year has basically finished him off. He looks a pale shadow of his former self and has lost another yard of pace. I'd suggest persisting with Hopper and Goodship for the time being and trying to get them to form a partnership.

It actually came to mind on Saturday that we've essentially lost two of our most important players. With Demetriou's knees giving up and Cox's body giving up, they may as well have left us in the summer, so that's a huge blow just to add to all of our other problems.
The pre season was an issue, unfortunate really, told to keep fit and he injures himself. Still dont understand given he had no pres season why he was then on the bench and then came on against Coventry

The pre season was an issue, unfortunate really, told to keep fit and he injures himself. Still dont understand given he had no pres season why he was then on the bench and then came on against Coventry

People actually believe he was injured lol

People actually believe he was injured lol
thats what the club said, would seem strange to pick a player with no pre season and who had a row with the manager for the first game of the season otherwise. |Especially when other players were available. Was certainly limping when he was down at the training ground in August before the season started.

If you know otherwise pray tell.

thats what the club said, would seem strange to pick a player with no pre season and who had a row with the manager for the first game of the season otherwise. |Especially when other players were available. Was certainly limping when he was down at the training ground in August before the season started.

If you know otherwise pray tell.

Just use your brain. He didnt play a single second of pre season then suddenly he's been "fit" since the Coventry game. Come on

Senior players ruling the roost and he's one of them

Just use your brain. He didnt play a single second of pre season then suddenly he's been "fit" since the Coventry game. Come on

Senior players ruling the roost and he's one of them
I am using my brain and my memory, he didnt look fit for the first few weeks to me an d many others. Anyone who thinks any of those players until recently looked fit needs glasses. Apparently (I do not know just going on whats been said) the players trained for 40 minutes under bond, and several so called senior players told him that things are not right with the training and set up, now I have no inside info but if he was one of them then I applaud him

You obviously have beef with him which is fine, and i respect your opinion also, not saying i don't have issues with how he ha splayed at times, but to single out 1 person is for me wrong (having said that I have said Milligan is someone i never want to see wear the shirt again) when there are at least 20 other players this season who have been as bad if not worse than him.

Of the players that have played this season I wouldn't say any of them cared overly and there is only 2 or 3 i would keep, and I include some of our own youngsters in that statement as well as those that are considered senior players.

Last edited:
The short answer is he is overrated and over the hill. Won us a point last season v Pompey. The last points before that was Gillingham away over a year ago. That's along time and 5 mangers ago and now we rarely see a shot on target or any of those sharp turns and a disguised passes for assists etc.

I was in the ground earlier, so had the chance to watch the warm up. As TSNB says Cox looked slimmer in his pink drill top, which made me think that's a good sign as even Mr Disruptive has bought into the new regime....How wrong I was.

Andrew Cole was doing a shooting drill in front of the east with full size goals. About 8 Players lined up and each would roll a ball into Cole, he would lay off a pass for a shot from 18/20 yds. Players were clearly under instruction to sweep it on the floor. They went through both feet, then Cole bounced a few to give a deliberate bobble but players still hat to keep it along the grass......As it turned out, just what Oxford did to score for their 4 goals.

When it came to Cox, on the first one he tried to hit it with the outside of his boot for a top corner finish.....It went 3 feet over the bar. On his second one he hit it about 5 or 6 feet in the air , which went in as Bish couldn't be bother to dive as the drill was also for him to save down low.

Then Cox nonchalantly strolls off to chat to someone and leaves the rest to do work on the left foot or the bouncing ball drill. Maybe Cox doesn't rate Andrew Cole as a coach, maybe he thinks he doesn't need to practice.

What makes it worse was when a chance came his way in the first half, right hand side of the box.....He could have hit it low first time for the far corner but he had two extra touches and the defender just blocked him.

I'm sure many of you work and mange in some sort of team job......What would you do with attitude like that?......We all know how destructive that can be. For our team, it says. If we won't even buy into the warm up drill, then how we going to buy into team tactics. Pass all the way back from your own KO and f*** about until your 1-0 down. To blind hoofing and no football in your own half......I doubt Simon is on board

OK Mr Cox you din't like Bond but we ended up with him because you didn't like CP.....PB had to put you in the stand because you take your spats out onto the pitch.
Is it now Sol you don't like or just the fact you don't want to be here?

The one game with Duncan in charge you made a point of not saying a word to Acquah. A fellow forward and making his debut, with defenders shirt pulling etc.

No one will buy you in January but one solution could be swap with Theo. After all he cant be here whilst you are and you don't want to be here....Problem solved.

I am using my brain and my memory, he didnt look fit for the first few weeks to me an d many others. Anyone who thinks any of those players until recently looked fit needs glasses. Apparently (I do not know just going on whats been said) the players trained for 40 minutes under bond, and several so called senior players told him that things are not right with the training and set up, now I have no inside info but if he was one of them then I applaud him

You obviously have beef with him which is fine, and i respect your opinion also, not saying i don't have issues with how he ha splayed at times, but to single out 1 person is for me a joke when there are at least 20 other players this season who have been as bad if not worse than him.

Of the players that have played this season I wouldn't say any of them cared overly and there is only 2 or 3 i would keep, and I include some of our own youngsters in that statement as well as those that are considered senior players.

Here’s the thing, I don’t think Cox has come in for much criticism this season, and similarly, l I don’t think he’s necessarily being singled out here.

You’re absolutely right however, it is pointless to single out the individuals, when there’s so many of them, who are doing so much wrong.

But Cox has got off very lightly, IMO.

Rumours of him being an overpowering influence in the dressing room - for the wrong reasons - and rumours about his non-existent pre-season injury, along with anonymous performances on the field, all whilst being one of our top earners.

I’d say the reason for this, is people will always hold him in a favoured light, due to his goals last season.

Personally - and I know a lot of people will disagree with this - but I wouldn’t shed a tear if we ripped up his contract in January.

Here’s the thing, I don’t think Cox has come in for much criticism this season, and similarly, l I don’t think he’s necessarily being singled out here.

You’re absolutely right however, it is pointless to single out the individuals, when there’s so many of them, who are doing so much wrong.

But Cox has got off very lightly, IMO.

Rumours of him being an overpowering influence in the dressing room - for the wrong reasons - and rumours about his non-existent pre-season injury, along with anonymous performances on the field, all whilst being one of our top earners.

I’d say the reason for this, is people will always hold him in a favoured light, due to his goals last season.

Personally - and I know a lot of people will disagree with this - but I wouldn’t shed a tear if we ripped up his contract in January.
GBJ all good points, I have no knowledge either way as not inside the club. I think there are a load of players getting of lightly, its a shambles from top to bottom

I personally would rip up many of the contracts of the 15 that played on Saturday

The short answer is he is overrated and over the hill. Won us a point last season v Pompey. The last points before that was Gillingham away over a year ago. That's along time and 5 mangers ago and now we rarely see a shot on target or any of those sharp turns and a disguised passes for assists etc.

I was in the ground earlier, so had the chance to watch the warm up. As TSNB says Cox looked slimmer in his pink drill top, which made me think that's a good sign as even Mr Disruptive has bought into the new regime....How wrong I was.

Andrew Cole was doing a shooting drill in front of the east with full size goals. About 8 Players lined up and each would roll a ball into Cole, he would lay off a pass for a shot from 18/20 yds. Players were clearly under instruction to sweep it on the floor. They went through both feet, then Cole bounced a few to give a deliberate bobble but players still hat to keep it along the grass......As it turned out, just what Oxford did to score for their 4 goals.

When it came to Cox, on the first one he tried to hit it with the outside of his boot for a top corner finish.....It went 3 feet over the bar. On his second one he hit it about 5 or 6 feet in the air , which went in as Bish couldn't be bother to dive as the drill was also for him to save down low.

Then Cox nonchalantly strolls off to chat to someone and leaves the rest to do work on the left foot or the bouncing ball drill. Maybe Cox doesn't rate Andrew Cole as a coach, maybe he thinks he doesn't need to practice.

What makes it worse was when a chance came his way in the first half, right hand side of the box.....He could have hit it low first time for the far corner but he had two extra touches and the defender just blocked him.

I'm sure many of you work and mange in some sort of team job......What would you do with attitude like that?......We all know how destructive that can be. For our team, it says. If we won't even buy into the warm up drill, then how we going to buy into team tactics. Pass all the way back from your own KO and f*** about until your 1-0 down. To blind hoofing and no football in your own half......I doubt Simon is on board

OK Mr Cox you din't like Bond but we ended up with him because you didn't like CP.....PB had to put you in the stand because you take your spats out onto the pitch.
Is it now Sol you don't like or just the fact you don't want to be here?

The one game with Duncan in charge you made a point of not saying a word to Acquah. A fellow forward and making his debut, with defenders shirt pulling etc.

No one will buy you in January but one solution could be swap with Theo. After all he cant be here whilst you are and you don't want to be here....Problem solved.
You've nailed it there Rigsby, it's not talent with Cox it's attitude. If we were winning we'd see a very different Simon Cox in my opinion. Not the type of behaviour you need in a relegation battle. But I reject suggestions he doesn't try when playing. Just maybe doesn't follow instructions as laid out by the manager .. well if that's the case you would expect Sol to act.

Back