• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Simon Cox

I have nothing against Cox as OBL said his goals kept us up, he was a senior player and maybe didnt do all he could but that could be said for a lot of players over the years.

If you go back to the playoff winning side there was a clique in that team too, but it was never a problem as we were winning, in the 16/17 season when me just missed out on th playoffs to the championship there was a very obvious group who hung around together but again nothing mentioned.

These things for me only become hi-lighted when things are not going so well. If your having a pop at a clique dont just pop at one person pop at them all.

Anyway never had an issue with Cox for me gave a hell of a lot on the pitch, some selfless running at times.

Nobody can expect everyone to be best mates or get along equally. That’s not realistic. So of course cliques aren’t a problem.....as long as they’re not disruptive, unprofessional and undermining authority. It’s a bit misleading to say “people only care about them when we’re doing badly”. In 14/15, and to a lesser extent in 16/17, the cliques weren’t disruptive. Since the start of 17/18, they have been and as far as I’m concerned that has been a major contributing factor in a fractured dressing room and our downfall.

Who was the author of this story, or the "Campbell quits" piece?
I believe that some papers will pay freelance authors for a story to fill the pages, especially if there is a possible smidgeon of "evidence" in it.
These pieces are, imo, simple fill ins, for which someones mate has had a little easy earner .

Nobody can expect everyone to be best mates or get along equally. That’s not realistic. So of course cliques aren’t a problem.....as long as they’re not disruptive, unprofessional and undermining authority. It’s a bit misleading to say “people only care about them when we’re doing badly”. In 14/15, and to a lesser extent in 16/17, the cliques weren’t disruptive. Since the start of 17/18, they have been and as far as I’m concerned that has been a major contributing factor in a fractured dressing room and our downfall.
I get what your saying but i think that just proves my point, that was the start of 2 bad years, then we let some of that clique go, which may have been a good thing, but to me it seems from then the players who came in never gelled with those we had to a degree. This is where senior players should help and thats what i was referring to with Cox And maybe didnt help as much as he could. I am not on the inside at Southend so I cannot say.

I wasn’t trying to be misleading just saying we all knew they were there but never moaned about them like we seem to be doing now.

it is always no matter what situation if things are going well things are overlooked. That is just how things are

Last edited:
Cliques, per se, are not an issue but when behaviour and professional standards slip below a certain level and are unpunished for a length of time..that’s an issue. Top to bottom at our club the ball was dropped. Not necessarily just Simon Cox’s fault but while last season he arguably kept us up, this season I’m sure he won’t look back on with any pride. We should’ve let him go in the summer. He’s not covered himself in glory and I’m sure he knows this.

Cliques, per se, are not an issue but when behaviour and professional standards slip below a certain level and are unpunished for a length of time..that’s an issue. Top to bottom at our club the ball was dropped. Not necessarily just Simon Cox’s fault but while last season he arguably kept us up, this season I’m sure he won’t look back on with any pride. We should’ve let him go in the summer. He’s not covered himself in glory and I’m sure he knows this.
I think Cox had some respect for Mr Powell BUT not a lot for Mr BOND.
And that affected many others in training, playing and also how the new (Bond signings) players interacted.
What would Mr Campbell say about Coxy? "useful player to have in a Div 1 squad but not at Championship wages, and paid so much more than others; he (Coxy) didn't respond in the 100% way that I demand, it is my way or.......

I believe that some papers will pay freelance authors for a story to fill the pages, especially if there is a possible smidgeon of "evidence" in it.
These pieces are, imo, simple fill ins, for which someones mate has had a little easy earner .

Weird when connected with a player it’s all ok to think it’s true and spends hours discussing it, yet when something is written about a possible player/staff leaving its poor journalism, you must remember they may have info from within the club that perhaps an “ incident “ has or had taken place and measures may have to be taken or then again it can be complete bull, but then again why report a small club like Southend when they must have gossip on bigger fish
Who would want to be a journalist in this dark times

I think they just have their morning meeting and run their finger down the list of players and managers and cook something up tbh. Especially at the moment with nothing to report on. Although Chris Phillips has done really well with the historical articles imo.

I think Cox had some respect for Mr Powell BUT not a lot for Mr BOND.
And that affected many others in training, playing and also how the new (Bond signings) players interacted.
What would Mr Campbell say about Coxy? "useful player to have in a Div 1 squad but not at Championship wages, and paid so much more than others; he (Coxy) didn't respond in the 100% way that I demand, it is my way or.......
I think Coxy's problem was that he wasn't expecting Mr Bond

New Manager arrives and starts a stricter / tougher training regime on a team that was woeful in both fitness and performance.

I don’t see anything wrong with that at all , and I really don’t care if any of our players - Cox or anyone - like that or not.

As a fan , I’m totally happy with that.
They can get a cake at Greggs after training if they’re hungry !

I know its probably not for this thread ,but people talking about cliques etc, the good thing about the squad now is that they are mostly young lads who have come up through our system playing together so they should be good mates and no cliques,which will be good for the incoming manager when he is chosen.

Back