• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Simon Cox

enjoy life Simon...

when you say "I can be impressionable to younger people in the group" ....

we were losing every game so obviously the impression you were having was not good - and maybe explains why so much of the attitude of the squad was cynical and appalling.

I heard you went to Sol and said "Hi Sol - I was in the big time with Reading and West Brom "
and he said .."Oh - never heard of you."

Sorry you wanted to have a lot of sugar based products but you were being paid good money to be an athlete .. not to eat cake and have ketchup on your chips.

Down in Aus I am sure you will be very impressionable to the younger people in the group who will be really very very impressed by you getting your name in the Daily Star - actually in the very in the same article as an actual big name player who has actually won things.

Enjoy the swimming and keep an eye for the sharks

You just beat me to it.

While I appreciate it wasn't right for Coxy, all of the things he mentioned were exactly what we needed our manager to be doing. As a senior pro 'slumming it' at the end of his career, it clearly wasn't for Simon. It even sounded like he was moving towards being self-aware enough to admit it - well, until he suggested that getting in the way of what the manager is trying to achieve is just being "quite a bubbly, lively person" who would "say what I thought".

Typical **** journalism turning a 3 hour session that "dragged on" into the completely different headline implication that Sol made training sessions boring.

"Sol was out on the training ground every day."
"Sol wanted to be out there as long as possible, two and a half, three hour sessions."
"Sol changed things around in the canteen."

We wanted a manager to come in, work hard, get involved and lead from the front. We needed some drastic changes. We needed someone to give a **** about the smaller things (like nutrition) as well as the big things (like fitness). We wanted someone to clear out those who weren't committed to giving everything for the club. I don't dislike Simon Cox, but as for where we are now... it's "ciao and thanks for the memories".

Short article and usual click-bait journalism but the quotes alone do tell a story. Love him or loathe him, it's no surprise that we saw a difference in attitude since Sol came on board. Time will tell if his methods are enough, but it won't be for lack of effort and focus on the things we all wanted our new manager to focus on.

In the spirit of fairness, which is unlikely, it would be great to hear what Sol thought of Coxy, his influence, his training, his nutritional intake and his attitude. Might be a better story.
I think the fact that he binned him off for the last few games before he left for Oz tells you everything you need to know....

If Cox feels a 3 hour training session drags on a bit then how much training were we doing before Sol came in? That sounds like a standard level of training to me, if we were doing less than that before Sol came in it's no wonder we looked off the pace.

In the spirit of fairness, which is unlikely, it would be great to hear what Sol thought of Coxy, his influence, his training, his nutritional intake and his attitude. Might be a better story.
Much as I was happy to see Cox leaving and, despite the Star's attempt to spin it into more of a drama, the quotes didn't come across to me as insult to Sol, more a difference in where both characters are in their careers and what they were willing to commit to the cause? Didn't sound like SC had particularly hard feelings - just seemed like a sensible parting of ways.

Also worth saying that players aren't necessarily going out of their way to make comments, more responding with occasional honesty to questions the journalists ask them.

If Cox feels a 3 hour training session drags on a bit then how much training were we doing before Sol came in? That sounds like a standard level of training to me, if we were doing less than that before Sol came in it's no wonder we looked off the pace.
Did 2 hours under brown I seem to remember, under bond the rumour was 45-60 minutes

who knows for sure though

Last edited:
Then we sure have the right manager , we maybe just a league one club at present , but the players are professional , why shouldnt we train and have a strict regime to follow as per Arsenal ,it hasnt hurt them,if we are a club aspiring to climb the ranks then we need to be following a strict set of rules and diet.I dont think it has hurt the youngsters ,what i read they were improving by leaps and bounds . Yeah im sure we have the right manager in place now .

Lesson here is to stop buying players chilling on there final payday....

We had amazing success with spinner, the eagle and the goat. 2 that were passionate about the club and 1 that just seemed like one of the nicest guys in football, and all very skilled. They added a touch of class and experience and had the personality to make the younger players around them thrive.

The cox's and ridgewells of this world were just taking the ****.

An update on the A-league. It is rumoured that players will start training in July with the last five games to be played from early August. The government here has shut the borders and only citizens and pernament residents are allowed back in. This looks to be the case for quite a while. I doubt Simon Cox is either of these. Might be looking for a gig in the UK if football ever kicks off again.

Back