• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Simplistic poll about flying the flag

Will you fly st. georges flag during world cup?

• I might buy one if we get past the group stages and Sainsbury's flog em off cheap

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

NZamba Legend

Deep-lying playmaker ⭐
On 5 Live right now they are having a daft phone-in about whether flying the st. georges flag during the world cup is patriotic, chavvy, racist or completely benign. Like most media debates you dont actually have to pay attention as you could write the script yourself.

However, due to the wonders of the internet this is the chance for Szers to have your say.

The question is:

Will you be flying the flag during the world cup?

(If your opinion doesn't fit into the categories below then I'm afraid you're not welcome to contribute to the debate as your views are probably too sensible and do not generate any controversy.)

Last edited:
I drive a white van but I bet NR announce a ban like they did in 2006 (quick! get The Daily Mail on the phone!).

Will I fly one - probably not. Will I wear an England shirt (yes, hopefully the uber sexy 1982 one). Do I think people who fly them are racist chav scumbuckets? No.

Made me laugh that (IIRC) Barry from Southend was one of the first callers who portrayed football fans as shaven headed/beer bellied/tattooed nethanderals..... Obviously not a friend of the SZ intellegensia :D

I considered sticking the flag in my window but I live on one of the busiest roads in Dublin and didn't fancy having a brick lobbed through it at kicking-out time one evening.

I don't see anything wrong with it though. Other countries fly the flag with pride so why shouldn't we? It's just a shame that we're so crippled with self-loathing that we can't feel patriotic for more than four weeks every two (occasionally four) years.

This is a joke sent to me the other day and is not necessarily my opinion:

Just put out my St George's flag 4 the world cup but wasn't sure if it would offend any muslims.............So to be certain i wrote 'Allah is a ****' on it.

I have no problem with flying the flag, what I do think has not helped the image is the cheap tacky versions that seem to be kept on cars for months after the event and end up looking so badly deteriorated.

If you are proud of your flag keep it looking smart and once it starts to look jaded, either replace or bin it.

Everyone should have a flag in the window of their car or house! When is there ever a better opportunity to be patriotic than the football world cup. It will be nice to unite as a country for once rather than having to moan about ash clouds, the economy and the love-in government.

Sod anyone that gets offended by it. It's England, so expect to see the flag during the world cup!

Quick question has anyone met someone who is actually offended by the English flag being flown?

I am not saying they do not exist but I am positive that contrary to some, it is a very small minority.

Im only guessing but I don’t think Muslims or other immigrants are really bothered if we fly our own flags. It’s probably the mamby pamby white English brigade worrying about nothing.

Everyone should have a flag in the window of their car or house! When is there ever a better opportunity to be patriotic than the football world cup. It will be nice to unite as a country for once rather than having to moan about ash clouds, the economy and the love-in government.

Sod anyone that gets offended by it. It's England, so expect to see the flag during the world cup!
wahey!

I like my freedom to do what I want! I don't really want to adorn my house or car with flags, I don't think that means I'm not patriotic though.

Quick question has anyone met someone who is actually offended by the English flag being flown?

I am not saying they do not exist but I am positive that contrary to some, it is a very small minority.

It is a myth spread about by the tabloid press every so often to sell papers - it doesn't actually happen in real life.

Im only guessing but I don’t think Muslims or other immigrants are really bothered if we fly our own flags. It’s probably the mamby pamby white English brigade worrying about nothing.

Nail on head.
Where I live I often see Asian/muslim lads wearing England shirts. Though the stories of St Georges flags being banned are probably exaggerated there does seem to be some based on fact and the banning orders usually emanate from white English people in authority who try to hide their cultural self-loathing by pretending they are concerned about offending ethnic minorities.:madman:

I considered sticking the flag in my window but I live on one of the busiest roads in Dublin and didn't fancy having a brick lobbed through it at kicking-out time one evening.

I don't see anything wrong with it though. Other countries fly the flag with pride so why shouldn't we? It's just a shame that we're so crippled with self-loathing that we can't feel patriotic for more than four weeks every two (occasionally four) years.

I'm patriotic every single day,and don't need those overpaid and overated prima donnas as an excuse to show it,this is a great land,and we all indeed have won the lottery of life by being English.

PS Fly your flag Beefy and be proud,just like the Irish are are in Kilburn,liverpool,etc.

Back