• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

WickfordBlue

Schoolboy
Sorry if this has already been posted but on the bbc website it says that crawley have signed josh simpson from peterborough on a 2 and a half year contract for an undisclosed fee.

Oh Bollox! I know we are L2 but if I was a pro, I really wouldn't wanna drop into the conference. For me it would be about the football not the money.

There is no guarantee Crawley will get promoted- far from it. So you can only assume money has come first- provided we keep Grant then I think we can live with it as its central midfield that id Simpsons best position- and another assumption (v. dangerous) that the money saved on Simpson is used on someone else

Oh Bollox! I know we are L2 but if I was a pro, I really wouldn't wanna drop into the conference. For me it would be about the football not the money.

just goes to show his true ambition, hope they stay in conference for a while as money dosnt buy trophies.

There's been a huge investment already from the new owners of Crawley Town this season, way beyond any other Conference club. Their manager, the ever affable ex Boston United manager Steve Evans, who was banned from football for a period after financial irregularities were found, has also been promised a further £1 million to spend in the January transfer window.

Most League 1 and 2 sides, let alone non-league, simply cannot compete with the wages Crawley Town are offering at the moment. They are an ambitious club, albeit with a touch of misplaced arrogance about them, so it really shouldn't be much of a surprise.

Sorry if this has already been posted but on the bbc website it says that crawley have signed josh simpson from peterborough on a 2 and a half year contract for an undisclosed fee.

Its a shame, but I would only want players at the Hall who actually want to be there, or is that just old school nowadays??

I agree we should not be held to ransom but we do need some more quality and I think he will be missed. It sums football up to me with some clubs simply trying to buy sucess

There's been a huge investment already from the new owners of Crawley Town this season, way beyond any other Conference club. Their manager, the ever affable ex Boston United manager Steve Evans, who was banned from football for a period after financial irregularities were found, has also been promised a further £1 million to spend in the January transfer window.

Most League 1 and 2 sides, let alone non-league, simply cannot compete with the wages Crawley Town are offering at the moment. They are an ambitious club, albeit with a touch of misplaced arrogance about them, so it really shouldn't be much of a surprise.

Money dos'nt guarantee you anything (ask most women). It will all end in tears.

It's interesting that Crawley Town were facing a winding up order in March for not paying HMRC. They were in administration in 2006. Their stadium capacity is 5000. A really poor move for Simpson IMO.

It's interesting that Crawley Town were facing a winding up order in March for not paying HMRC. They were in administration in 2006. Their stadium capacity is 5000. A really poor move for Simpson IMO.

Exactly my thoughts from earlier in the thread. He is a silly boy I feel. He could play at higher level very easily but he has opted for the money.

From a personal, selfish perspective it's the right move... I dare say he's earning a fair packet and has been tempted by a sizeable signing-on fee. If Crawley fail to clinch promotion and they go bust as expected, in six months he'll be in a position to command yet another signing-on fee. Not bad for six months "work". He's a young lad at 23 too, so good performances in the conference will underpin some interest in him.

We have to get used to the way footballers now just chase the big bucks. Loyalty went out of the window as soon as big wages and foreign players appeared. We will be lucky to sign anyone.

Bring on the youth --- how about giving the 15 year old wonder-kid a go ?

From a personal, selfish perspective it's the right move... I dare say he's earning a fair packet and has been tempted by a sizeable signing-on fee. If Crawley fail to clinch promotion and they go bust as expected, in six months he'll be in a position to command yet another signing-on fee. Not bad for six months "work". He's a young lad at 23 too, so good performances in the conference will underpin some interest in him.

Can't find anything to disagree with there. I'd say it was a decent deal for him and the standard of Conference football is not too disimilar to League Two.

We have to get used to the way footballers now just chase the big bucks. Loyalty went out of the window as soon as big wages and foreign players appeared. We will be lucky to sign anyone.

The loan system has played its part, too.

You can't expect players to show loyalty to a club they are at on loan.

Shows how important the youth development side of things now is. Give it a couple of years and hopefully we wont need to do too much delving into the increasingly murky waters of the transfer system.

Its a shame, but I would only want players at the Hall who actually want to be there, or is that just old school nowadays??

....and herein lies the difference between being a supporter and a player - I would respectfully suggest that there are no players that WANT to be at Southend or indeed any lower league clubs - they merely 'end up' at a club that is willing to sign them and pay their wages and will always be chasing the higher wage - longer contract etc from whichever club offers that added security.

The odd exceptions will be the youth team player who comes through the ranks and does not have the ability or desire to play at a higher level (I would expect Herd, Crawford et al to be looking at where the best deal for them is - if not their agent is not doing his job).

The days of the lower league players playing xs of 250 games for their clubs are coming to an end I believe.

The clubs show them no loyalty (ie Bentley, Maher and many more I am sure) so it seems perverse to expect loyalty back from the players imho - or am I deluded and bitter??

And let's not forget Crawley out-bid everyone else, so I'm not sure how much choice he would have had regarding potential suitors?

In 6 months time he could be in league two, the same division as us, whilst earning far more money....

Oh and we couldnt afford to buy him, so the argument is irrelevant.

Back