• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Agent Lomas

Manager
I, like many of you probably, have seen an article on BBC Sport stating that Michel Platini and his cronies will discuss the posibility of sin-bins in football, replacing cautions. "I would make it like rugby, punishing the offender with 10 or 15 minutes out of the game,"...Platini.

So, yes or no?

Personally, No. I think the current regime works perfectly with cautions and suspensions. What on earth is a player going to learn by sitting on the side of the pitch watching? Especially if the challenge seriously hurts a player and he has to be stretchered off...

Have thought for some time that sin bins would be a good idea. Might stop all the dissent as well as punishing players for fouls. Would managers be able to be put in them too?!

I think it's a good idea, it means that the punishment affects the game directly, and avoids the situation where a team could be fouled against and then their rival benefits from the suspension in a future game.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25235277

Just seems that Blatter and Platini are trying to out stupid each other. First Blatter says whoever goes down injured has to wait on the side line for a certain amount of time and now a yellow card means you sit out for 10-15 minutes. A yellow card is so easy to get now. It is fine the way it is, poor tackle and the player is now another poor tackle away from being off.

Also, "goalkeepers who concede a penalty shouldn't get sent off" is complete bollocks too. Player is running through on goal and the goalkeeper can pretty much deliberately take him down, now the chance of scoring has decreased meaning the attacking side lose out.

Sin-bins might be a good idea, but it shouldn't be used instead of the yellow card IMO. Should be used for those that are very poor tackles (those debatable red cards) and dissent.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25235277

Just seems that Blatter and Platini are trying to out stupid each other. First Blatter says whoever goes down injured has to wait on the side line for a certain amount of time and now a yellow card means you sit out for 10-15 minutes. A yellow card is so easy to get now. It is fine the way it is, poor tackle and the player is now another poor tackle away from being off.

Also, "goalkeepers who concede a penalty shouldn't get sent off" is complete bollocks too. Player is running through on goal and the goalkeeper can pretty much deliberately take him down, now the chance of scoring has decreased meaning the attacking side lose out.

I think 'clear goalscoring opportunity' should be tightened up - have they seen Elliot Benyon?!

I think yellows for simulation, professional (however they're classed) fouls*, dissent and timewasting should be a 15 min sin-bin. Also, if there is persistent fouling by a team, or group dissent then that can lead to the captain being sin-binned. If goalkeepers are guilty then they can be subbed (if there is a remaining sub, if not then tough).

*ones like hauling a player down to stop a break away (where the advantage is lost because a freekick is given and the defending team can recover).

Nah, yet another idiotic idea in the extreme from the muppets in charge. At present you could have say 3 or 4 players on the pitch each on a yellow-card but the game continues as an 11-a-side contest. With sin-bins in place that could end-up
as a 7 versus 11 (or worse) contest. Does anyone really want to see the game degenerate into that scenario.

Not convinced, will just add even more daft events for footballers , although much prefer rugby for the respect shown and they use sin bins. I am pretty fed up with all the diving, shirt pulling, referee whinging , manager tantrum appalling behaviour in football

Two yellows make a red, but does dithering over a throw in for the first, then moaning about a free kick warrant the current two yellow= red,.. Did hurst really deserve red for his misdemeanours? I don't think so, 15 minutes in the sin bin would be more suitable to me.

Not convinced, will just add even more daft events for footballers , although much prefer rugby for the respect shown and they use sin bins. I am pretty fed up with all the diving, shirt pulling, referee whinging , manager tantrum appalling behaviour in football

Great description of the Premier League and the reasons I don't watch it

Sorry that just goes to show the mentality of the people running(ruining ) this great game, leave the game alone.think of all the yellow cards handed out now ,be a 7 aside game in a lot of cases.Some refs you would think were bus conductors in peak hour ,they hand out so many tickets.:smile:

if we still had Mcormack, Bailey along with Corr, i think the thing would be done for overcrowded work conditions, the way they moan at the ref!

Nah, yet another idiotic idea in the extreme from the muppets in charge. At present you could have say 3 or 4 players on the pitch each on a yellow-card but the game continues as an 11-a-side contest. With sin-bins in place that could end-up
as a 7 versus 11 (or worse) contest. Does anyone really want to see the game degenerate into that scenario.

But you're assuming that the introduction of sin bins wouldn't change player behaviour. I reckon it would so players would be more careful, and we wouldn't end up with such a situation. You certainly never see so many players in the sin bin at the same time in rugby.

But you're assuming that the introduction of sin bins wouldn't change player behaviour. I reckon it would so players would be more careful, and we wouldn't end up with such a situation. You certainly never see so many players in the sin bin at the same time in rugby.

Precisely. It's rare for there to be more than one player in the bin at the same time (certainly in league; I don't follow union closely enough to comment).

I like Pubey's comment that it 'rewards' the team who have been the victims of a bad tackle and it's also a good halfway house between a booking and a sending off. If refs had the sin bin as an option to punish ****ing about at corners I could see it being used a lot for that, which really is becoming a blight on the game.

tried it in the german "bayenliga", ( div 5 standard)in the 90s...eufa then did not want it,dont know why now they are thinking about it again!!rather have the rugby rule,when they moan at the ref,then the free kick is moved 10 yards foreward..i know they tried that as well, but think thats better..

So potentially you could be sidelined for ten minutes and your team hindered for an over zealous goal celebration.

No thanks.

So potentially you could be sidelined for ten minutes and your team hindered for an over zealous goal celebration.

No thanks.

So don't celebrate in a way that would give the ref the opportunity. Players have some brains, they should make use of them sometimes.

Back