• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

DTS

The Business
Watching Southend for me is a real rollercoaster.
rock.gif
Sometimes uncontrollable highs and another time undescribable lows.

But what is the single best feeling you have ever had when supporting Southend?

For me it was the Juppy's goal. All the way to Cardiff (again) I just had visions of us doing "A Southend" and choking at the last minute.

I just remember seeing this flash of blue that appeared to be running at 100mph and screaming at Freddy to pass it.

Suddenly I realised it was Juppy and my heart sank. As Juppy has his first touch I was still sure he would miss.

As the ball went in I remember going mental. I grabbed hold of Dad of DtS and held on for sheer life.....Even typing this has brought me goose bumps. The last 10 mins or so once the game was won were so enjoyable as I knew we couldn't be touched.

Anyone got any other moments of joy?

DtS

Its say it was a tie between Drewe's goal that beat Col******r in the first LDV area final to send us to Cardiff at their expense, and the moment that I got confirmation over the phone that Hartlepool had equalised against Brentford in the last minute whilst we were at Swansea. At that point I just knew we were up. You can't script drama like that.

If all scenario's had occurred in adulthood then it would have been the ply-off final followed by the game at Swansea last season but I think I'll have to go with the 2 other back-to-back promotions in 89-90/90-91 and despite the fact the latter was more significant due to the fact it saw us finally become Full Members of the Football League I'd just about have to go with the 1st promotion at Peterborough as it was my first as a Shrimper. I remember my Dad getting me and my Uncle in free due to being a copper and a stadium tour also. To cap off a great day (after a fantastic lunch in STILL the smartest pub I've ever been in) by winning promotion was absolutely brilliant and I'll always remember Crowny's 2 goals as long as I live. I'll also remember the final seconds when at 2-1 Mick Halsall piled into a challenge 6 yards out with Sammy and all this dust from the dry pitch came up and it was only a few seconds later as the ball came flying out of the area could we breathe a HUGE sigh of relief!! From my seat up in the top tier down the side it made for horrendous viewing!! An equaliser there and it was the play-offs!!

It was quite similar to Michael Bridges goal against us in the fog in the 90's, anyone remember that? Even the Sunderland fans didn't know they'd scored til it was announced over the tannoy!!!
laugh.gif

Anyway I'm deviating, for me it was Peterborough 1 Southend United 2 in May 1990 - and promotion to Division 3!!!
biggrin.gif

Well the thread asked for a single moment so for me, despite the phenomenal success of the last couple of seasons it has to be Gigg Lane 1991. Down to 10 men before half-time, no joy with scores elsewhere, thinking we've at least got a couple of home games to seal promotion. One moment of magic from Benjy and the rest is history. Plenty of nervy moments until the final whistle then floods of tears from grown men.

If I was allowed other selections I'd have to include

Last season vs Swansea
The play off final
The first LDV final
Promotion at Peterborough
Promotion at Stockport
FA Cup vs Liverpool
Col Ewe 0 SUFC 3
and the first time I ever clapped eyes on Kev Maher
cool.gif

*John Cornwell's last second winner against Preston as we beat them 3-2. Never seen a home terrace explode like that before or since.

*The whole game against Grimsby c.1990 when we beat them 2-0 to go top of the league. Packed North Bank, brilliant atmosphere and non-stop singing. What football was all about back then before going all-seater and switching ends quietened everything down.

*Tes Bramble scoring in the 75th minute at Chesterfield in the FA Cup when we had a rag-bag collection of future non-leaguers/no hopers with a 40 year old Rob Newman at centre back. A terrace of 1000 ****ed up Shrimpers go beserk, has a konga etc and the whole point of being a Southend fan is blissfully encapsulated into 60 seconds. Brilliant Shrimperzone away trip too (I think there's a photo somewhere.)

*Tes Bramble again - this time vs Luton at home with a late goal to win us the game 3-2 against the Luton scummers, who were top of the league at the time. Remember when Bramble and Rawle were the next Shearer and Sheringham? What were we smoking...crack?  
rock.gif

*The whole day at Swansea - DtS and me braving the front line with 2,000 Swansea fans abusing the pair of us just for being English and sat next to them. DtS fuelling the fire by repeatedly asking them (and gesturing at his arse) whether all the attention was because they wanted to f%&k us
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
Personally I didn't think that this was what they meant when they were pointing to the exit signs and shouting "see you after the game you English c%&t" but DtS has always been an optimist.
biggrin.gif
 Enough has been written about the goals and the moment when we sealed promotion - it was a surreal amazing day that we'll all be telling our kids about one day.

* The last 2 minutes of the game against Col U when we were on our way to Cardiff. I went down the front of the South Upper and I knew for a fact I was standing amongst people that had been through a lot of bad times with Southend United and stayed loyal, home and away, for decades in most cases. It was an amazing moment and I don't think Roots Hall has ever lit up like it did that night when the whistle blew and it was confirmed that we were going to the Millenium Stadium. Arguably there was even more emotion that night than the two subsequent promotions.

Brilliant memories - add to that some of the great people I've met and it makes me feel blessed to be a Southend fan.

Beating West Ham in the league. Beating West Ham in the league. Beating West Ham in the league. Beating West Ham in the league. Beating West Ham in the league. Beating West Ham in the league. Beating West Ham in the league. Beating West Ham in the league. Beating West Ham in the league.

Tilly & the boys singing 'are you watching Col******r' from the Directors box after the last game of last season with all the fans who were gathered around singing along!!!!!!!

Truly unforgettable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A great great moment!!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Sep. 28 2006,16:37)]When Stan the Man made his debut.
I don't know whether it could be really classed as a "greatest moment" because the vast majority of the those present wondered who the f%&k he was ...

wink.gif

I was with you Smudger, up until when you started claiming that DtS pointing at his arse was your greatest moment as a Southend fan.

For me its the final whistle at Bury. I wasn't even there, but I can vividly recall anxiously waiting by the radio (I was too nervous to actually be taking in the words), just waiting for the final whistle. And then at the most momentous moment in the club's history Roger Buxton managed to lose the line!

In second place Brettie Angell shutting up the hamsters.

Other great moments:

hearing Alvin Martin had finally gone;

the Messiah's return: Blackpool (A). Webby returns and from 2-0 down we escape with a 2-2 draw - I think we all then knew for sure that he could walk on water;

Wayne Gray seals the title ahead of col ewe;

Bristol Rovers (H) - we seal a second consecutive Millenium Stadium appearance - having missed the first and fearing I'd never get the chance to see my team in a major final again.

For me:

- Southend 0 Liverpool 0; it was my birthday as well.
- Southend 4 Northampton 4; re-affimed my faith in football.
- winning promotion at Bury; incredibly emotional afternoon at Gigg Lane.
- Southend 4 Newcastle 0; "Geordies, Geordies, give us a wave!"
- Everton; what a day out.
- LDV Final No 1; one of the first into the stadium, couldn't believe we were playing in such a grand arena.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ Sep. 28 2006,15:55)]
[b said:
I don't know whether it could be really classed as a "greatest moment" because the vast majority of the those present wondered who the f%&k he was ...

wink.gif
I knew who he was. I'd seen him down Southchurh park car park

laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (N'Zamba Legend @ Sep. 28 2006,15:43)]Beating West Ham in the league. Beating West Ham in the league. Beating West Ham in the league. Beating West Ham in the league. Beating West Ham in the league. Beating West Ham in the league. Beating West Ham in the league. Beating West Ham in the league. Beating West Ham in the league.
What a fantastic night that was!! My amte's a Hamster and he was gutted!!!

I dont think i could nominate just one moment. Over the past few seasons, we have been really, really, really spoilt and all this crap over the last few weeks on the board here has been pure stupid. People seem to forget we are still adjusting to this level and that just 2 years back, we were in that sh!thole league, in the 4th tier of English football!

** The first away day at Cardiff was superb, as Mike says. A brilliant day, spoiled by 90 minutes of football! **

** Swansea away last season was brilliant. An excellent day out with some top people, poker, booze and promotion to Championship. It doesn't get muchb better than that, i'll tell ya **

** Chesterfield away last year was pretty dam special. Who have thought at half time we'd go on and win 4-3. Seeing Dan celebrate like a girl when Fred scored the winner on t.v the next day made it even better **

I could go on, and mention GOD several times, but i've seen he's already been mentioned.

smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The General @ Sep. 28 2006,16:34)]** Swansea away last season was brilliant. An excellent day out with some top people, poker, booze and promotion to Championship. It doesn't get muchb better than that, i'll tell ya **

I could go on, and mention GOD several times, but i've seen he's already been mentioned.

smile.gif
Yeah, that was a good day.

God - Drewe?

cool.gif

As Kev says, there have been so many to choose from, particularly over the last few years. However, I'm going to plump for the moment I entered the stand for the first LDV Final. As I took my seat I couldn't believe little Southend - my little Southend - were actually playing in such a great arena. I'd dreamed about it, but for it to actually happen was so sweet.

And then the game kicked off
upside.gif

Far, far to many to have just one as like many people have stated we've been spoilt over the last couple of seasons, but I'm gonna plump for something different.

Going back to Saturday Novermber 17th 2001. Southend United had drawn Luton Town at home in the FA Cup, and I was a youngster making an impression for my sunday men's side. The manager their is a Luton Town fan and we have two other Southend United fans in our team so we decided to make a day of it with my brother in toe. A few jars were sunk in the Railway and then we all made our way to various sections of the ground. The banter had been flying all day and at the ground via text message. Of course we sunk to one nil down to a goal from Adrian Forbes which looked massively offside, the texts were flying, these was changed by Mark Rawle and Tes Bramble scoring within 10 minutes of each other only for Brkovic to equalise with 15 minutes on the clock. The game seemed to be heading for a difficult looking away game at Luton until 5 minutes from time Tes Bramble scored an overhead kick in front of the South Stand to send the vast majority of the 6526 packed inside Roots Hall mental.

Brilliant, brilliant match and a cracking result plus a fantastic goal to settle a cup tie. Still gets brought up on a match day and at training. Happy days.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ Sep. 28 2006,15:55)]
[b said:

wink.gif
Yep. I remember chuckling in bemused fashion when his name was read out.

biggrin.gif

Only two contenders for me:

* Jonny Hunt's equaliser against Palace at Roots Hall, April 1994.
* Freddy scoring in the play-off final, Cardiff, 2004.

I almost fainted on both occasions, such was the rush of adrenaline and joy. In Cardiff, I had a complete white out for about 5 seconds. I couldn't actually see. I simply felt "YES!".

It's funny, more people go for Juppy's goal; but I knew we were up as soon as Freddy scored. When Wrexham scored against us in extra time 6 weeks' beforehand, that was it - game over, curtains, finished. We were beaten men.

And it was exactly the same for Lincoln.

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Smudger @ Sep. 28 2006,15:33)]*Tes Bramble again - this time vs Luton at home with a late goal to win us the game 3-2 against the Luton scummers, who were top of the league at the time. Remember when Bramble and Rawle were the next Shearer and Sheringham? What were we smoking...crack?  
rock.gif
That's my number three all time favourite moment. In that one goal, that one instant, I got over being dumped the previous night. Pure joy.

cool.gif

Number four is the Swansea game, Freddy's debut. Still the best Southend game I've ever seen.

Matt

Back