• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sitting By The Dugout, Reflections On Last Night

Prodigal Son

Manager
I sat right by the dugout in the East greens as the 'day trippers' were sitting in my seats in the West( I wonder how many have been to a Chelmsford home game), so here's a few reflections on last night:

1.What strange people sit in that area, two lots of people atold me I was sitting in their seats, I was row D, they were rows C and E, can't they read?
Not much legroom either.

Lots of very small kids congregating/playing by the dugout, does that always happen? To the father whose little girl had the pink coat, don't bring her until she gets older, complete pain as she moving about. All very irritating.

2. Dean Austin and the bench, hardly said a word all match,fat Jeff and Glenn were very quiet, expected more instructions and encouragement.

3. Liptak, clearly been to the Peter Clarke school of erractic defending mixing up occassional brilliance with much nervousness.

4. Harrold/MacDonald - time to go, great endeavours, but not very good as covered in other threads.

5. Revell - fit or not, does not look very good, hope I am wrong.

6. Ademeno - looked very good, and fast!

7. The Blue Voice - really thought it would be a good atmosphere with everyone in one stand but it never happened. I've watched Smiffy & Co trying to build momentum with this, but I am not sure why it's not kicked in more, can't work it out, must be frustrating to the organisers.

Does anyone decide in advance what chants to do and when? No sea,sea, sea siders last night, surely one to sing when we get a corner?

8. Jeff King, surely one of the most annoying men in football? Assembles teams in weak leagues by paying players over the odds reulting in bought glory, will he depart Chelmsford when they get to the conference like he did with Canvey.

9. Ricky Holmes, number 11, thought he was supposed to be good? A complete..............

10. The West Stand - got to say the acoustics did not sound too bad from the Chelmsford fans.

10. The West Stand - got to say the acoustics did not sound too bad from the Chelmsford fans.

Have said this all along, the acoustics in the West are not that bad...... The reason we do not sound very loud is that not many people sing. We have nearly 3 times that number over there on a normal match day & we sound much quieter than the Chelmsford fans.

Nice to see you posting again Dave - Agree with much you said. Would add,

1) Ricky Holmes was crap and a ****** at the same time.

2) Liptak looked good at times and other times seemed to have no idea what to do.

3) Collis - Class act , gutted to say he wont be here next season i think but a good keeper in my book.

4) Jonny Herd - Going to be good I think if he can put on some weight.

5) Peggy - Impressed me much more than Moussa who was toothless.

6) Why are all our youth teams players midgets?

Had same problem - people sitting in wrong seats. Apparently stewards were telling people to "sit where you like" !!. Whats the point of getting your usual STH seat early and then not being able to sit there? Seemed quite a few problems over this. Would have been far easier for everyone if stewards directed people to their correct seat.

7. The Blue Voice - really thought it would be a good atmosphere with everyone in one stand but it never happened. I've watched Smiffy & Co trying to build momentum with this, but I am not sure why it's not kicked in more, can't work it out, must be frustrating to the organisers.
Does anyone decide in advance what chants to do and when? No sea,sea, sea siders last night, surely one to sing when we get a corner?

7. The Usual suspects from the "West Side" were in good voice last night. Maybe the location wasn't helpful, being tucked away in the far corner of the East Blacks...
Not many decided to join in with us, which was a shame. Guess it was a combination of a pretty poor spectacle and the fact it wasn't the biggest of games for Southend fans (No disrespect to City)

10. Although Chelmsford weren't exactly "loud" they made a decent effort in the West.
I'm a tad confused when our fans situated in Blocks S,T and U say they cannot hear Block V/W singing on matchday's. We have a lot more fans in these two blocks on matchday's, than City did last night and I can assure you, we sing loud & proud for the majority of games. Yet when chanting was started up in Block V/W last night, it clearly spread to the far end of the West Stand...
Maybe it echoed better due to less population in there, I don't know. Either way it's bugging the hell out of me!

Last edited:
7. The Usual suspects from the "West Side" were in good voice last night. Maybe the location wasn't helpful, being tucked away in the far corner of the East Blacks...
Not many decided to join in with us, which was a shame. Guess it was a combination of a pretty poor spectacle and the fact it wasn't the biggest of games for Southend fans (No disrespect to City)

10. Although Chelmsford weren't exactly "loud" they made a decent effort in the West.
I'm a tad confused when our fans situated in Blocks S,T and U say they cannot hear Block V/W singing on matchday's. We have a lot more fans in these two blocks on matchday's, than City did last night and I can assure you, we sing loud & proud for the majority of games. Yet when chanting was started up in Block V/W last night, it clearly spread to the far end of the West Stand...
Maybe it echoed better due to less population in there, I don't know. Either way it's bugging the hell out of me!

Ahem........

Just cos I forgot my badge again....tsk tsk....i can hear you in block u. Bloomin cheek....

Remember the ground had less than 3000 people in it. Maybe the sound is confused based on where people seat aswell as how much noise is made.

Maybe, tho it was the sheer effort of those chelmo supporters that helped, a bit like on occassions like the Leeds game, etc.

Maybe a combination of both....

A good effort by the collection of fine people at the back of East Blacks tho....

I can't work it out, so God knows how you feel about it. I am a T block person and we can always certainly hear you. Is there one person who starts the chanting? There was some evidence last night of a return of the West Stand 'shuffle' from end to end which is not possible when we are in there due to the fact most seats are occupied.

Ahem........

Just cos I forgot my badge again....tsk tsk....i can hear you in block u. Bloomin cheek....

Remember the ground had less than 3000 people in it. Maybe the sound is confused based on where people seat aswell as how much noise is made.

Maybe, tho it was the sheer effort of those chelmo supporters that helped, a bit like on occassions like the Leeds game, etc.

Maybe a combination of both....

A good effort by the collection of fine people at the back of East Blacks tho....

Sorry Sir, I should of made it a less sweeping statement...

Some of the residents of Blocks S,T and U claim to not be able to hear Blocks V and W on matchday's..

Either way, I think last night proved that we seem to have a lot of "quiet" supporters in certain sections of the West Stand, which is their choice obviously, but also highlights why TBV needs to relocate elsewhere. North Bank being the prime location obviously...

On that note, please VOTE YES if you haven't done so already..(Follow link below)

http://www.southendunited.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10444~1267140,00.html

Lol....I will let you off just this once...

Anyone claiming not to hear you in Block U must either be deaf or dead....:stunned:

Ok, so we have confirmed reports from Blocks T and U, that Blocks V/W can be heard on matchday.

Are there any people from Block S/Family Section of the West Stand, that can confirm either way please?...

I want to get to the bottom of this, as it is doing my nut in!

Nice to see you posting again Dave - Agree with much you said. Would add,

1) Ricky Holmes was crap and a ****** at the same time.

2) Liptak looked good at times and other times seemed to have no idea what to do.

3) Collis - Class act , gutted to say he wont be here next season i think but a good keeper in my book.

4) Jonny Herd - Going to be good I think if he can put on some weight.

5) Peggy - Impressed me much more than Moussa who was toothless.

6) Why are all our youth teams players midgets?

You obviously missed David Obaze warming up, thought he was a basketball player!!

Lots of very small kids congregating/playing by the dugout, does that always happen? To the father whose little girl had the pink coat, don't bring her until she gets older, complete pain as she moving about. All very irritating.

Was she sitting with her sister in a red coat in about Block L??

Can't believe no one saw the kid fall over his own feet and break two seats!! It was Block C row B/A just to the right of East Red's.

Ok, so we have confirmed reports from Blocks T and U, that Blocks V/W can be heard on matchday.

Are there any people from Block S/Family Section of the West Stand, that can confirm either way please?...

I want to get to the bottom of this, as it is doing my nut in!

I sit in Family Stand Block Q and the sound coming from you guys is very muffled & it's impossible to join in with any of your chant's because as you point out there are some people in the middle sections that just do not & will probably never join in with the singing.

Very rarely a chant will actually spread along the the whole of the West Stand but only once or twice a game.

The chaps up the back of the Family Enclosure do a good job of trying to get the rest going but again it's mainly silence.

Also the South Upper boys nearest the West Stand try very hard but they sing to fast and the choice of some of their songs seems to stop people joining in!!!

Back