• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Jim Levenstein

Manager
Thinking of going on a Ski holiday this year with the girlfriend. Any resort recommendations? I have been once before but she hasn't. Preferably somewhere that is not far from Geneva airport as you can fly there from Southend.

Thinking of going on a Ski holiday this year with the girlfriend. Any resort recommendations? I have been once before but she hasn't. Preferably somewhere that is not far from Geneva airport as you can fly there from Southend.

Normally recommend France, Switzerland is expensive. If you've not skied before or much then a biggish resort like Les Plagne or Les Arcs would be good. In general the more northern ones like Chamonix aren't as friendly for beginners. If you can find a ski-to-the-door option then that's great, nothing worse than having to travel with all your stuff to the slopes, or use lockers.

I've not skied for the last few seasons sadly.

Hemel Hempstead. We've got an indoor ski slope and there's a new Travelodge just opened near the M1 junction. Après-ski options amply covered either by Wetherspoons in the town centre or the Legion.

Normally recommend France, Switzerland is expensive. If you've not skied before or much then a biggish resort like Les Plagne or Les Arcs would be good. In general the more northern ones like Chamonix aren't as friendly for beginners. If you can find a ski-to-the-door option then that's great, nothing worse than having to travel with all your stuff to the slopes, or use lockers.

I've not skied for the last few seasons sadly.

Cheers, I was looking at Chamonix and Les Arcs will now look at Les Plagne

Val Thorens is always worth a look
thumbs%20up%20new%20aug%202010.gif

Chamonix is amazing because the town is great (a proper town, not just a ski resport) - has some wicked bars and great restaurants. However the skiing is fragmented so you have to get a bus between the different lifts that take you up into the mountains. Plus there aren't many beginner slopes. The real benefit of Chamonix is the off piste skiing.

Not skied Val Thorens but heard it's good. Les Deux Alps is good too.

Hemel Hempstead. We've got an indoor ski slope and there's a new Travelodge just opened near the M1 junction. Après-ski options amply covered either by Wetherspoons in the town centre or the Legion.

A couple of years ago my wife bought me an hour one on one lesson there. It was unbelievable fun. I need to do more of it. I'd rather go on a ski holiday knowing I can already ski rather than have lessons away...

A couple of years ago my wife bought me an hour one on one lesson there. It was unbelievable fun. I need to do more of it. I'd rather go on a ski holiday knowing I can already ski rather than have lessons away...

Skiing doesn't interest me in the slightest but an aunt of mine has gone every year for decades and says the Hemel ski slope is really good and has been using it to get my cousins up to speed.

Chamonix is no good for beginners, not enough green runs. Best to invest in a guide book, where to ski and snowboard is the best £20 quid you will ever spend when it comes to skiing. Three valleys area is my fave, check out La Tania
Mid two weeks of March are good-no kids and warmer. Be brave and book late and you will get a deal in a catered chalet.
Going myself in 2 week time. But also looking at Sunday 4th March the day after our new striker scores the winner against Wycombe to go above them in the table. Back in time for Dagenham away.

Used to love skiing. Went to Risoul 5 times in about 8 years! Really good place, always decent snow! Best holidays ever!

Skiing doesn't interest me in the slightest but an aunt of mine has gone every year for decades and says the Hemel ski slope is really good and has been using it to get my cousins up to speed.

Good to know that, thanks.

Skiing didn't interest me until my wife bought me that lesson. I really was great fun, even if it was hard work, and I was knackered at the end of it.

Chamonix is no good for beginners, not enough green runs. Best to invest in a guide book, where to ski and snowboard is the best £20 quid you will ever spend when it comes to skiing. Three valleys area is my fave, check out La Tania
Mid two weeks of March are good-no kids and warmer. Be brave and book late and you will get a deal in a catered chalet.
Going myself in 2 week time. But also looking at Sunday 4th March the day after our new striker scores the winner against Wycombe to go above them in the table. Back in time for Dagenham away.

Cheers, how do you normally get there? I was looking in to flying to Geneva from Southend to then get a cab to the resort?

Cheers, how do you normally get there? I was looking in to flying to Geneva from Southend to then get a cab to the resort?

Cab would be really expensive, because all resorts are at least an hour from geneva airport. You're best off looking for a coach connection, or a package holiday.

Cab would be really expensive, because all resorts are at least an hour from geneva airport. You're best off looking for a coach connection, or a package holiday.

Yeah I was getting some quotes of 500 euros for a return cab journey.. I don't really fancy that, I think a package deal is going to be the way to go.

Given I don't ski I've plenty to say on this thread!

I've been to the resort of Morzine (for the Tour de France) and we got quite a good deal by booking seats on a private coach from Geneva. Can't remember exactly how much it was but it was only marginally more expensive than our beers at Geneva airport while we waited!

Every ski holiday I have ever been on has been slightly marred by a group of ****ed up Irish lads staying in the same hotel and waking everyone up at 4:30 am as they loudly and drunkenly retire for the night.

The strange thing is they all seemed to think they are welcomed globally as raconteurs and bon vivants rather than despised as loud drunken bores.

Good point about the drunks, had the same experience with some young English lads in a hotel in Italy. We had to re-educate them over breakfast and the problem was solved. Fellow guests are useually better behaved in the smaller chalet option.
Regards transfers from the airport, some chalets can arrange for you, or there are plenty of independent mini buses operating from Geneva to the resorts- look on line. if you book a package the flights will be 0600 from Gatwick and coming

Meant to say Easy jet from Southend is the best option as the flight times and days give you some flexibility

Back