• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Skills you have learned from YouTube

Quite a few things. It's fantastic to learn basic DIY, or how to fix something. My latest was a petrol lawnmower that wouldn't start. So went through all the things they said to check, and ended up at the Carburettor. It showed me how to remove and clean the carb, mainly clean all the jets with a carb cleaner spray. It only takes one tiny bit of dirt to block a jet. The gaskets were O.K. So I got some Carplan carb and choke cleaner spray from Europarts for £2.39. Job done, mower starts and runs. So got it done for £2.39, a job the mower repair shop would have probablly charged £40 to £60.

Have been having a go at pizza making recently. Not perfect yet but getting there. Mums not pleased with the flower everywhere in the kitchen!

How to replace a kitchen mixer tap.
How to take a shower apart, clean it all up, replace the seals and put back together.
How to replace a shower mixer tap and temperature control. (Not done it yet, just worked it out.)
How to terminate an ethernet cable and set up powerlines.
How to build a mobile app, using Azzure, SQL Server and C#, but also using APIs. (Still getting to grips with that one.)

Those are the ones I can remember off hand. There's 100s.

Some great tutorials on YT.
Have learn the following over the years;

How to strip down and repair a leaky water pump on our dishwasher
How to remove and clean the EGR on my Toyota Diesel People carrier
How to refurbish a set of alloy wheels

Last edited:
I've learned never to attempt to drive a NASCAR because I'm not completely ****ing mad

Also, don't sit near the front!

Sharpening, following watching how to bids I have worked on the chainsaw and also shears and clipers.
Earnest Doe at Rochford were extremely helpful with advice and, perhaps surprisingly, the stihl told and set of sharpening stones were comptetive value than stuff I had seen on line.
Not that I would have bought from elsewhere as I abhore the likes of Amazon.

Finally took it upon myself to learn how to solve a Rubik's cube from a YouTube demo video.

It only took me around 35 years to solve since I first got one!

Took just under a day of learning all the algorithms and I can now solve with no help at all in around 3-4 mins. :Happy:

Not going to set any records but I'm happy with that for now

Finally took it upon myself to learn how to solve a Rubik's cube from a YouTube demo video.

Took just under a day of learning all the algorithms and I can now solve with no help at all in around 3-4 mins. :Happy:

Out of interest, which link please..? I've tried a few but just end up tying myself in knots. I start off following them easily then I get a bit cack-handed. I can easily get the top layer and corresponding colours with the right centre section beneath. Just need the final bit. If you've an easy to follow recommendation I'll take a look.

I meant to add that one too! There's a really good set of videos by a guy with a couple of kids that I found really easy to follow. The problem is that I keep forgetting, so I have to keep referring back to the videos. It must be an age thing!

Out of interest, which link please..? I've tried a few but just end up tying myself in knots. I start off following them easily then I get a bit cack-handed. I can easily get the top layer and corresponding colours with the right centre section beneath. Just need the final bit. If you've an easy to follow recommendation I'll take a look.

This is the one I used. They split the solution into various videos, one for each step.

YouTube

The videos I used are the ones right at the bottom, so scroll to the end. There's an intro, then videos for stages 1,2,3,4,5 and 6.

I used this one as it seemed so easy to follow.

As I say I mastered it in under a day from memory with this so best of luck

Back