• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

skinheads in southend

You notice there is not one fat or overweight skinhead in any of these pictures, we obviously ate a lot healthier in them days:smile:

Original skinheads from the the sixties were Ska/Reggae loving youngsters who loved the music no matter what the colour of the musicians skin indeed some skins were black,these pictures from the 80's are of racist thugs(plastic skinheads.

My uncle and he's mates were skinheads ,they were chosen to feature in the Pink Floyd film The Wall,he said Geldoff was wierd back then lol....by the way I'm not really laughing out loud :winking:

Ahhhh early memories of a standard bank holiday in Southend. More interesting to me is the view east to the Kursaal has barely changed. The central line all the way through to Ongar and smoking on the underground. Great pictures.

You notice there is not one fat or overweight skinhead in any of these pictures, we obviously ate a lot healthier in them days:smile:

There was no fat anybody. I'm trying to remember whether McDonalds in the High Street (Chester's underneath ha ha) was open. I remember going there at 12 maybe 13 putting it at 37/38 years. There were tough times in the 70s but there was always food. When I think back to the sacrifices my parents made we never went without at Christmas either. We lived off bangers and mash, fish and chips as a luxury (maybe twice a month) chops, home made rissoles, home made chips with egg or Spam, greens, cabbage. Most of the fried food was done in lard, most of the vegetables were fresh from a greengrocer. We ate sweets in abundance. We also played outside in abundance. I would argue that our diets were much more balanced and additive free than today. Coffee shops didn't exist. Beyond Wimpy I'm struggling to remember chain food or drink (Rossi's ha ha). Fast food was a sandwich or a penguin, maybe a club (orange not mint!).

Poor journalism ,the only research which appears to have been done on the original skinheads Appears to be reading Richard Allen books from 1971.
The late 70s revival was primarily punks who had grown tired of the scene and its growing conformitism,
By the early 80 it stated to become political . But most of those guys the nazi salute was just a shock thing for the crowds or press. The lack of nazi interest of apparent by the number of salutes with the wrong hand.

Poor journalism ,the only research which appears to have been done on the original skinheads Appears to be reading Richard Allen books from 1971.
The late 70s revival was primarily punks who had grown tired of the scene and its growing conformitism,
By the early 80 it stated to become political . But most of those guys the nazi salute was just a shock thing for the crowds or press. The lack of nazi interest of apparent by the number of salutes with the wrong hand.

That is correct Firestorm. It was far more to do with the music and the clothes.

I have a Sikh friend who dressed as a skin back then. Rarely had much trouble, apart from a pub in Dagenham. Then again if any outsider had walked into most pubs in Dagenham in the late 70's they would have had, at best, a bad experience.

Jeans from Leo's, shoes from Victoria Shoes (still going), Ben Sherman shirts from Rosehills, Parkas from Army & Navy (same still) and burgers from Billy Bear Eats near the Cricketeers.

The skinheads from the late 60s early 70s would distance themselves from this rabble .

Back