• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sky Sports League One Goal of the Season - Charlie Kelman nominated

Well this is tedious.

Congratulations on turning a thread about a young talent potentially winning L1 goal of the season into this.

A freak goal is when you shoot, it hits an inflatable ball on the pitch and deflects into the goal. A confident young player on the half way line looking up, seeing the keeper off his line and hitting a ball straight and into the goal is not a freak. Kelman completed what he intended to do and that was score from the half way line.

Last edited:
A freak goal is when you shoot, it hits an inflatable ball on the pitch and deflects into the goal. A confident young player on the half way line looking up, seeing the keeper off his line and hitting a ball straight and into the goal is not a freak. Kelman completed what he intended to do and that was score fun the half way line.

Which why I described it as freaky not flukey!!! Freaky is described as unlikely or unusual!!! That is all I said!!! It was unusual and no matter what you or anyone else says or thinks it was definitely unlikely!!

I was at the Plymouth game.....sad at being 1-3 down, and left inspired that a youngster took a punt and made us all smile ….:Smile:

Absolutely agree and no one has said anything different!

Voted:

On personal mobile, work mobile and work PC

Will also vote on personal PC at home, the missus phone and the IPAD..

Why? because you have spoken.

The keeper didn't save it for 3 reason:-

Charlie disguised his shot

Charlie hit it with such pace

Charlie put draw on the ball which meant it not only travels quicker through the air, it wrong footed the keeper.

The keeper was not in a bad position, as the ball was in our half. When the ball was stuck, it was straight and the keeper actually made his ground quick enough but like i say it was draw on the ball that caused him to get in a mess.

One more thing, you can't coach that sort of thing. So well done CK its definitely better than the others.

The keeper looked like a drunken auntie at a wedding reception on You've been framed.

Nobody picks a spot from 50 yards.

Jesus!!!! What are we arguing about here? The definition of “freak”?

The intention and the outcome are two completely different things. All shots have the intention of being a goal....fair? Not all shots could be classed freaky.

The definition of freak is thus ; event that is extremely unusual or unlikely, and not like any other of its type.

Now you tell me how many times you’ve seen that happen compared to other types of goals and then we’ll have a discussion about whether it could be classed as a freak...

Isaac Hutchinson scored similar goals from the half way line twice last season, against Waltham Abbey and Plymouth. Not sure that reduces the definition from "freak" to "rare", but just saying......

Isaac Hutchinson scored similar goals from the half way line twice last season, against Waltham Abbey and Plymouth. Not sure that reduces the definition from "freak" to "rare", but just saying......

If you or I (is the man in the street) played golf and hit a hole in one would that be fluke? Freak? Or skill? After all we all tee up aiming at the hole don’t we?

I’m still saying freak....that doesn’t diminish the intention or the execution....

It was not a freak goal, he had already noticed the keeper off his line, It also won the SKY goal of the month award with 44% of the vote back in January.

Charlie Kelman said at the time...

“It might be a once in a career type of goal but coaches and players have seen me do it in youth games. I’m the sort of player that if it’s on then I will do it because without risk there is no reward.

“We were defending a free kick minutes before and I said to Coxy [Simon Cox] in the wall the goalkeeper is way off his line. When the ball dropped to me it just fell perfect. As a striker you have an instinct and it set up so perfectly for me. It was an amazing feeling to see it go in.

“I enjoyed it for one day but my mum made sure I didn’t get too carried away. I want to show that I’m not just about the goal, but that I can be consistent scoring goals and have a good career.”

Full Interview

I don’t know how many more times I have to say this.....a freak strike.....freak means an unusual, an unlikely or an unexpected event.

If anyone says they were expecting it (inc their GK) they are a liar. If anyone says it was a likely turn of events, they are a liar. If anyone says it’s the usual type of goal they see on a Saturday afternoon THEY ARE A LIAR!!!!

Why is this even being debated!!!!! The fact it’s a freak effort and is unusual, unexpected and unlikely is what makes it a great goal ffs!!!!!

However it was not inch perfect, it was not deliberately curled or “drawn” and the goalkeeper DID make a complete hash of it.

To say anything else is ludicrous.....and to keep denying it is ruining what it was - a great goal and a great moment!!!!

Kelman has done the same in youth games a few times.
Reason I was disappointed in Taylor's goal being even in there is it was right in the area keeper should be from a DFK in that position. Much worse howler than being a couple of yards too far off line and not managing to catch up with the swerve and dip.

Total farce, the player playing for the club with the biggest fan base will win.

I voted Kelman, naturally - but if he wasn’t there I’d have voted Tom Eaves, who has even fewer votes.

Voted for Chris Maguire vs SUFC.

Imo, the second off last one is the best: Jonson Clarke-Harris vs Plymouth

Voted for Chris Maguire vs SUFC.

Imo, the second off last one is the best: Jonson Clarke-Harris vs Plymouth

So you voted for one you didn't think was the best?

What is the f***ing point?

(Don't you just love social media?)

Back