• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sky Sports Survey

Grayson

Life President⭐
Hi all,

I'm currently researching the impact of Sky Sports on football and its audiences for my A2 Media Studies exam.

EDIT: Survey removed. See below.

Do you feel Sky Sports has had a positive impact on football, and why?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Done.

I believe that Sky Sports has had a positive and a negative impact on sport. The positive side is that lower league clubs can get money which could be a difference between surviving and going bankrupt. The negative side is that this rarely happens and most of the money is pumping mainly into the "Big 4" clubs and this increases spending power and will inevitably make the difference between the so called "Big 4" and the rest even bigger. This has also increased wages with teams like Chelsea being able to pay players, such as Ballack, Lampard and Terry, over £100,000 a week, compared to "average" Premierleague sides who can afford to pay their top players around £40,000 a week. Another positive, unless your name is Michel Platini, is that this has also caused the top teams in England to succeed in European competitions, with three English teams in the Semi-final of the Champions-league for a second season in a row.

EDIT:Another positive is that sports are now easier to watch, cheaper to watch and can be enjoyed from the comfort of your own home, but this has an impact on attendences. Some examples of this include Middlesborough who have had attendences fall, while some teams has exceeded expectations. For Example, Colchester United have has an average attendence of 5084, which is 5083 more than orginally predicted.

Enjoy

Last edited:
Done

I feel that Sky Sports has brought football into many more households enabling a new generation of football fans watching football in their living rooms.
Although the revenue given to clubs that feature regularly (the Premiership) a better standard of football as they can afford players wages and increase their stadiums or just build new ones. The clubs at the bottom end of the market are struggling. Look at Doncaster, Bournemouth and Luton all given points reduction for falling into administration. Then add Southampton who were surviving financially in the Premiership until relegation and now they are in administration.
With the revenue it’s always the same four clubs going for the title, (okay Chelsea brought their way into the situation). And its usually 2 out the 3 clubs that got promoted being relegated straight back down, where either go straight up, lose out in the playoffs or fall from grace and fight not to go down again.
With the price of a football ticket these days its’ cheaper to have sky sports, although watching football in your own home is not the same as watching in a full stadium cheering on your favourite club.
So to summarise, If you live in Somerset and support Manchester United Sky sports is great, but follow a small unfashionable club and sky sports is worthless

One point - if you get us all to do your survey, won't it be skewed in terms of there being a larger than usual sample of fans from L1?

It's on another forum of Premiership supporters too, but you make a good point - I think I'll remove the survey link now, and try get some conversation/debate on the other question.

Thanks to all who filled it out.

Do you feel Sky Sports has had a positive impact on football, and why?

Yes. It bought a lot of money which attracted a lot of top foreign players.
This in turn meant the not so good english players played in a lower division, which means the standard is higher through every division.

Without Sky money and the Premier league, our top players would be playing in Italy or Spain which means current Championship players would be in the Prem, league one in the Championship etc etc etc

I think that it is had both positive and negative effects.

The positive effects have been that it has brought money into the Premier League which in turn has attracted the worlds best players. It has also helped to bring the Football League on to the world stage as FL games are broadcast all over the world. This has, I am sure, helped to make the Championship the fourth biggest league in Europe.

There are a few negative effects as well though. The main one is that they tend to alter kick-off times for the majority of matches they broadcast. This, in most cases, leads to lower attendences for the clubs involved. Another negative impact is that clubs have become reliant on Sky's funding to the point where i'm sure that a number of clubs could not survive without it. This could be a problem in the future should Sky ever collapse aka. ITV Digital. The last negative for me is that parachute payments are funded priamrily through TV revenue and I think that these payments cause there to be an uneven playing field in the Championship.

Back