• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

londonblue

Topgun Pilot
Thought you all might like to see an email I have sent Sky Sports:-

Hi,

I have a seemingly pedantic point for you. The Southend United Club badge you use is not the correct one.

There are a number of reasons why this badge should not be used:-

1. It does not have a shrimp on it. As you know, Southend United are known as The Shrimpers and this badge does not have a shrimp on it.

2. It is Blue and Yellow. Southend's Club badge is blue and White.

3. This is really the main point. The badge you use was designed by our late Chairman, Vic Jobson. He also copyrighted it so that every time it was used, even by SUFC themselves, he was paid commission. The changes he made to the proper badge were to take off the shrimp and introduce the colour yellow. The reason for this is because the colours of his business were blue and yellow.

For most Southend Fans this badge is insulting, and for most of the time it was in use there was a campaign to revert back the proper one.

Moreover, for most SUFC fans this badge is a reminder of the Vic Jobson era. One that may have lead us to our highest ever League position, but is remembered by the fans for its extremely poor financial management that has led us to the position we now find ourselves in.

Once Vic was ousted as Chairman the new owners stopped using it. I guess the main reason was so that SUFC didn't have to pay him, but also because the fans wanted it changed back.

It would be greatly appreciated if, for next season you could change this and use the correct badge.

I'm sure if you contact the club they would happily supply you with one. Or better still, buy a new shirt for next season and take it from there!

Regards

Either the News Of the World or the Sun (I forget which) use the wrong one too...

Well played, Londonblue. I made similar points to the Grauniad, who are also (incorrectly) using the Jobson badge on their website... but they've done a big fat nothing about changing it.

Matt

NOTW have changed it (finally!)

Until earlier this season, they were still using the kit from the 00/01 season when we had a player in the Team of the Week!

Great, just got a reply from Sky. The mail was undeliverable! I have just tried again and it came back again!

I might have to unsubscribe!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (londonblue @ May 05 2004,11:18)]Great, just got a reply from Sky. The mail was undeliverable! I have just tried again and it came back again!

Londonblue, try this form Feedback

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ShrimperJim @ May 05 2004,11:42)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (londonblue @ May 05 2004,11:18)]Great, just got a reply from Sky. The mail was undeliverable! I have just tried again and it came back again!

That's what I used!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]3. This is really the main point. The badge you use was designed by our late Chairman, Vic Jobson. He also copyrighted it so that every time it was used, even by SUFC themselves, he was paid commission.

Really?

And you have proof of this? If so, please enlighten me...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ May 05 2004,13:13)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]3. This is really the main point. The badge you use was designed by our late Chairman, Vic Jobson. He also copyrighted it so that every time it was used, even by SUFC themselves, he was paid commission.

Really?

And you have proof of this?  If so, please enlighten me...
That was certainly my understanding. Jobson changed the design in order to possess intellectual property in the club badge.

One of the first things that Main did, when coming to the club, was change the club logo - explaining, at the time, that one of the main reasons for doing so was in order to stop paying royalties to Jobson (and subsequently Jobson's estate) on every piece of merchandising that the club sold.

At least that's how I remember it...

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (londonblue @ May 05 2004,13:02)]
[b said:
[b said:

That's what I used!
Ohhh! Pretty naff then if they can't even get their own feedback form working.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (londonblue @ May 05 2004,13:02)]
[b said:
[b said:

That's what I used!
i used that...

they don't reply but instead try forcing you to sign up to use there sky membership which costs money.

Back