• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

DTS

The Business
Ladies and Gentlemen,

With Fathers day around the corner I have decided to treat my old man to a skype phone to plug into his laptop so he can see my lovely boat everytime he cals (More to the point see GoDoDtS grow up week by week).

When it comes to technology I have the understanding of a small chid. Can I ask my fellow zoners for some help on the following.

1) Am I right in thinking that I can buy any Skpe type phone thing and my DoDtS can plug it into his USB port?

2) I have a built in web cam - Does that mean I dont need a skype phone?

3) Anyone care to recommend a decent one for my old man - Money not really a problem (I dont mean that to be flash but I dont want to get him a crap one)

Thanks all
Love out
x

Normally if you have a built in webcam , you dont need a skype phone . They were built as replacements for your home landline phone that would also conect to teh internet .

Skype uses your already configured audio and visual equipment on your pc (so webcam , headphones mic etc ) so you can make the calls :D.

Dependant on how old your laptop is the webcam might not be fab, so you can do some tests on skype to see yourself . Failing that have decent external one between £30-40 (they will tend to have built in mics as well)

Normally if you have a built in webcam , you dont need a skype phone . They were built as replacements for your home landline phone that would also conect to teh internet .

Skype uses your already configured audio and visual equipment on your pc (so webcam , headphones mic etc ) so you can make the calls :D.

Dependant on how old your laptop is the webcam might not be fab, so you can do some tests on skype to see yourself . Failing that have decent external one between £30-40 (they will tend to have built in mics as well)

Cheers Osy,

Think this is the first post of yours I have ever fully understood.

My laptop is brand new and works well on that website were 1/3 calls is some bloke ******* whos name escapes me.

Any ideas on a decent make or brand Osy?

Cheers Osy,

My laptop is brand new and works well on that website were 1/3 calls is some bloke ******* whos name escapes me.

Thanks ;) Yeah there is some crap on Skype and random offers of sex .

If its brand new im guessing your webcam should be fine , go to the Skype options or properties and under there , click on the VIDEO DEVICES , and you can test you cam there. IF you cam's doing about 25 fps its tv quality but this will also come down to your internet connection .
Ok its changed even more since last time i checked http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/webcam_communications/webcams/devices/5865
There are ones for £90 but your talking high quality there for home usage ;)

If you want a external one i always liked Logitech's stuff .

Ladies and Gentlemen,

With Fathers day around the corner I have decided to treat my old man to a skype phone to plug into his laptop so he can see my lovely boat everytime he cals (More to the point see GoDoDtS grow up week by week).

When it comes to technology I have the understanding of a small chid. Can I ask my fellow zoners for some help on the following.

1) Am I right in thinking that I can buy any Skpe type phone thing and my DoDtS can plug it into his USB port?

2) I have a built in web cam - Does that mean I dont need a skype phone?

3) Anyone care to recommend a decent one for my old man - Money not really a problem (I dont mean that to be flash but I dont want to get him a crap one)

Thanks all
Love out
x

Cheers Osy,

That's because you're speaking his language now!

Dave,

There are 3 ways to use Skype

1. Text based via the instant messenger
2. Talking Via Skype phone / Mic and speakers and no images
3. Talking via skype phone / Mic Speakers and webcam with pictures

Dont go and buy anything mate as we sell a lot of these branded and you dont need to pay the earth for a decent model. Even if you and DoDtS need a Skype phone each i can sort you a decent price. bang me an email andyt@outstandingbranding.com and i will send you a price in the morn.

Dave,

There are 3 ways to use Skype

1. Text based via the instant messenger
2. Talking Via Skype phone / Mic and speakers and no images
3. Talking via skype phone / Mic Speakers and webcam with pictures

Dont go and buy anything mate as we sell a lot of these branded and you dont need to pay the earth for a decent model. Even if you and DoDtS need a Skype phone each i can sort you a decent price. bang me an email andyt@outstandingbranding.com and i will send you a price in the morn.

You have mail mate. Thanks as always.

Wouldn't you be better off getting him a webcam? Then you (well, more importantly your little one) will be able to see him too.

Skype is great, we use it regularly for calls home so the kids can see and speak to my parents.

Back