• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

south247

Coach⭐
Sky Sports have made the following prediction as to how the season will finish and made some comments:

1 Leicester
2 Leeds
3 Scunthorpe
4 Southend
5 Huddersfield
6 Oldham
7 Peterborough
8 Colchester
9 Carlisle
10 MK Dons
11 Tranmere
12 Bristol Rovers
13 Brighton
14 Northampton
15 Hartlepool
16 Walsall
17 Stockport
18 Leyton Orient
19 Millwall
20 Crewe
21 Hereford
22 Yeovil
23 Swindon
24 Cheltenham

Southend

Manager: Steve Tilson
Position last season: 6th
In: Steve Mildenhall (Yeovil, free), Paul Furlong (Luton, free), Osei Sankofa (Charlton, free), James Walker (Charlton, undisclosed), Ian Joyce (Watford, free)
Out: Kevin Maher (Oldham, free), Lewis Hunt (Wycombe, free), Che Wilson, Tommy Black, Steven Collis (Crewe, free), Zoltan Liptak (Ujpest FC, £60,000), Mark Gower (Swansea, free), Darryl Flahavan (Crystal Palace, free), Charlie MacDonald (Brentford, undisclosed), Gary Hooper (Scunthorpe, undisclosed)
Key man: James Walker
Chances: Southend will be keen to banish the memory of last season's play-off disaster but after losing a host of players in the close season may struggle to make it into the top six.

Would I ever settle for this right now!

Think NOTW had us at 16th and The Times thought we'd scrape 14th. 4th is very optimistic.

Personally, my feeling is we'll be lucky to be in the top half of the table.

A realistic aim for southend this year is top half of the table, I am hoping that we will perform above expectations this year and prove everyone wrong.

UTB!

So they think we'll struggle to make the top 6 but have predicted we'll finish 4th?

:thump::doh::dizzy::dim:

two words NO CHANCE

God, why even bother if you're going to be so negative?

The transfer window is still wide open, then I bet we get a few in on loan. I'll take 4th, but can see no reason why we can't push for automatics.

UTB!

Yes please - who ordered that superhero time travel thing? Fast forward to next May please!

I dont think that is too unrealistic as although we havent got a great deal of depth in the squad YET, we have got some of the best players in the league (Mildenhall (going by the amount of clubs after him), Francis, Clarkey, Bails, Macca, Barney, Walker) and if they all stay fit, that quality will show imo. I think we will scrape play offs

The transfer window is still wide open, then I bet we get a few in on loan. I'll take 4th, but can see no reason why we can't push for automatics.

UTB!

Not negative just stating a fact, have a look at the quality signings other teams have made. Couple of injuries and we are up the creek without a paddle simple as that.
Had we strengthened the team instead of weakening it then maybe but as things stand we will be lucky to finnish mid table

what on earth have they been smoking and where can i get some

UTB!

Because we have no left side at all and no squad depth?

I'm going to reserve ultimate judgement over the squad this season until the transfer window shuts but the lack of numbers this close to the season start is, to be fair, a little bit silly and I don't believe we'll sign enough players to cover our needs.

Still, prove me wrong SUFC....

Blue sq are giving a Handicap of + 12 points for us to win the league @ 18-1
which i think is good value seeing as they also pay on each way to , surely we can finish 2nd or 3rd after a 12 ponit head start ???

Carlise 10-1 10 point handicap
Brighton 18-1 13 point handicap
Oldham 18-1 18 point handicap

are all good value to IMO

Blue sq are giving a Handicap of + 12 points for us to win the league @ 18-1
which i think is good value seeing as they also pay on each way to , surely we can finish 2nd or 3rd after a 12 ponit head start ???

Carlise 10-1 10 point handicap
Brighton 18-1 13 point handicap
Oldham 18-1 18 point handicap

are all good value to IMO

Possibly. But don't forget you've got to take in to account the start that all the teams below us will be getting too. For example, Cheltenham are +29 so we'd also need to finish more than 17 points ahead of them.

See where your coming from , its just there's always one team that ups their game , Us / Scunny / col U / Barnsley in the last few years and could well be worth a flutter .

Cheltenham i have for finishing rock bottom , their cack !!

Not negative just stating a fact, have a look at the quality signings other teams have made. Couple of injuries and we are up the creek without a paddle simple as that.
Had we strengthened the team instead of weakening it then maybe but as things stand we will be lucky to finnish mid table

It is negative when you focus on the bad and ignore the good. We are weaker as a squad but our team is better than it was teh beginning of last season in some ways :

Right Back - Francis came into his own last season and we have a better right back than we did.
Strikers - Harrold/McDonald last season and Barnard/Walker/Furlong this season is far better.
Right Wing - Scannell looks very promising and far better than Black turned out to be (although he looked promising this time last year)

The two obvious downsides are:

Left Back - Hammell and Mulgrew were both good players, certainly better than having to play a tea lady.
Winger - Gower blew hot and cold a bit last season, however despite a mid season dip in form was still quality and we will miss his goals from midfield.

I dont see us challenging at the top but still think we will be top half this season.

Lets just get the stay up amount, 53 or 54 points,if we can add to that great,but top six i dont think so

Wait until September 1st before completely writing us off.

Understand what you are saying as we should be getting loanees in then. However, we could be 12 points behind the leaders by then also. If only we had a crystal ball!

So they think we'll struggle to make the top 6 but have predicted we'll finish 4th?

:thump::doh::dizzy::dim:

haha, yeah you know when you can't be realise something afterwards and can't be bothered to go back and change it..

Back