• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sliding Doors

Yorkshire Blue

Super Moderator⭐
Staff member
The Athletic have an article about player recruitment teams. One of the examples they give is Steve Walsh at Leicester who signed Jamie Vardy, N'golo Kante and Rihyad Mahrez who were the stars of Leicester's incredible Premiership title win.

Back in 2003 when Stan wanted the Southend job, wasn't he going to bring Steve Walsh with him as assistant?

(FWIW the conclusion of the article is that it's not so much about the quality of the recruitment team but of the managers who use them)

You're mixing up two different people that both happen to be called Steve Walsh (to add to the confusion both Steves have ties to Leicester). The Steve Walsh Collymore wanted was a former Leicester City captain who holds the joint record (with our own Roy McDonough) for most red cards in the football league. The Steve Walsh that scouted for Leicester has been a scout for his entire career (alongside teaching PE earlier in career) and never played professionally.

Sliding doors, hmmm...

Where would be be if Millwall hadn’t scored that 85th minute winner v Brizzle Rovers? They squeezed into the playoffs & the momentum took them up. Could have been us. Maybe we’d still be in the Championship, still with PB at the helm and still have Lenny running things on the pitch? Who knows Nile may have been heading for his 3rd 30 goal season?

You're mixing up two different people that both happen to be called Steve Walsh (to add to the confusion both Steves have ties to Leicester). The Steve Walsh Collymore wanted was a former Leicester City captain who holds the joint record (with our own Roy McDonough) for most red cards in the football league. The Steve Walsh that scouted for Leicester has been a scout for his entire career (alongside teaching PE earlier in career) and never played professionally.

I read an article a few years back that said PE teachers have often made great scouts as they no more about lads attitude and perhaps his progress. Rather than watching for a game or 2.

Sliding doors, hmmm...

Where would be be if Millwall hadn’t scored that 85th minute winner v Brizzle Rovers? They squeezed into the playoffs & the momentum took them up. Could have been us. Maybe we’d still be in the Championship, still with PB at the helm and still have Lenny running things on the pitch? Who knows Nile may have been heading for his 3rd 30 goal season?

I have it on good authority had we gone up that year we had contracts in place for Ray Parlour and Matt Lockwood and that Nile was going to be a make weight in a deal to bring back the prodigal son and former Southend Championship talisman Matt Harrold. PB was also being monitored for the then vacant Moldova national team manager position so we may have struggled to stay up without his perma tan

I read an article a few years back that said PE teachers have often made great scouts as they no more about lads attitude and perhaps his progress. Rather than watching for a game or 2.
I had a good chat a few years back with a Norwich scout who came to watch one of our games (London recruitment scheme). I asked him what he looked out for, apart from the usual technique, pace etc. He said "I look at the kids who listen intently to their coaches, while others mess about, they are the types who will tidy their bedroom at the first time of asking" That rules our number 8 out then" I replied!

Back