• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

blue79

Banned
Hi Guys. First of all this effort is not designed to provocate nor put anyone down.

My concern is there has been no talk of new offers being made for Barker, Mohsni and Grant when there current deals expire at the end of this season.

Also the contracts of Hall, Ferdinand amongst others are up at the end of next season.

I would move swiftly to try and get Hall and Fery signed up for longer again because as from next summer , with only a year left to run on their deals, their value will begin to dip.

So I wondered if anyone is in the know as regards to new contracts?

My final fear is that with Hall and Ferdy having already signed extentions they may say they've done their loyalty bit. Because once promotion is secured I think it is fair to say these two especialy will have their admirers from clubs above us and maybe then if good offers do come in they may want to take that chance. I'd love them to stay here but we must see it from their perspectives eventually . I'm sure their progression will continue.

These two are too good to let go off for nothing should they let their contracts wind down. Similar situation to Gower, Clarke and Barnard.

A connundrum for the Club.

I hope the lack of replies on this thread isn't to do with you guys thinking i'm Taking the p.

I thought the subject about contracts was an understandable thread to post and get opinions on.

I think the thing is contracts aren't worth the paper they are printed on these days .. Nicky Bailey & Carlos Tevez being 2 examples both local to us and nationally

Not sure I see much of a rush. The preoccupation of the Club's with tying players down to long contracts was a major factor behind our financial problems. Short term contracts are the way that well-run clubs in the lower leagues tend to operate. It means that you may risk losing a player or two along the way but that's the case for most Clubs.

Hall has the best part of two years left on his deal which seems long enough. Mohsni and Grant haven't even been in the team lately....

I was going to say that this is a new approach for football with players on shorter contracts but it really isn't, it's mainly just new for this football club. The contracts we were handing out four or five years ago were ridiculous.

Personally I am not so worried right now about those players leaving, precisely because they are unlikely to get much longer term contracts elsewhere these days. They then have a choice of staying at Southend where they know the setup, team mates and prospects, and going somewhere else without that certainty.

A move which seems to be great can soon feel like a bad one after a couple of months of not getting full games every week, or not getting the same opportunities, having to settle in a new area and get to know new team mates when you used to be on a roll at your old club and everything was rosy.

Also, if any of them did go I have enough confidence in Luggy to be able to manage the situation - he's got us to where we are now from scratch just 15 months ago, reckon he could find another few players of similar standard to replace them.

Personally I am not so worried right now about those players leaving, precisely because they are unlikely to get much longer term contracts elsewhere these days. They then have a choice of staying at Southend where they know the setup, team mates and prospects, and going somewhere else without that certainty.

A move which seems to be great can soon feel like a bad one after a couple of months of not getting full games every week, or not getting the same opportunities, having to settle in a new area and get to know new team mates when you used to be on a roll at your old club and everything was rosy.

Also, if any of them did go I have enough confidence in Luggy to be able to manage the situation - he's got us to where we are now from scratch just 15 months ago, reckon he could find another few players of similar standard to replace them.

Exactly. :thumbsup:

I think the thing is contracts aren't worth the paper they are printed on these days .. Nicky Bailey & Carlos Tevez being 2 examples both local to us and nationally

I disagree to some extend though. As Bailey was under contract we got a 'reasonable' fee for him. If his contract had expired that season we would have got nothing for him.

If Hall's contract was up and we got nothing for him that would be a massive blow. He is surely worth a 6 figure sum (I know that is not much of a yardstick but we don't actually have that many players we have sold 6 figures all told).

I'd hope things are being put in place behind the scenes to sort out the players who are out of contract. Lets face it though, Sturrock is pretty experienced in such matters so Im sure he knows what he is doing. If we do lose players I'm confident he can bring in players of good enough quality within our budget.

Hally is comfortably worth a 6 figure sum. Given he's still under contract next season I'd be disappointed if we entertained any January offers of less than £3-400k if he stays in form. Might sound like a lot but a player with his delivery and also goalcoring ability from wide areas would be worth it's weight in gold to any side wanting his services.

He seems happy here though and hopefully he'll want to see this through and help us into League One before he moves on to bigger things - especially after the club stood by him.

Back