• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

sammy666

I do not wish to introduce any negativity to CP's reign but something is concerning me. It seems Chris does not fancy Elvis or Kyp. Wabo out on loan and what happened to Ba ? I thought when Chris arrived the youth would be encouraged and given chances. Seems only Dru is considered worthy. What is the point of an academy or even the under 23 side if it leads nowhere ? All our youngsters need to believe there is a chance of making the first team to keep them working hard and developing. What message does it give the 14,15,16 year olds when the 18,19,20 year old are falling by the wayside. I've absolutely nothing against any player currently in the first team but youth must get it's chance

I do not wish to introduce any negativity to CP's reign but something is concerning me. It seems Chris does not fancy Elvis or Kyp. Wabo out on loan and what happened to Ba ? I thought when Chris arrived the youth would be encouraged and given chances. Seems only Dru is considered worthy. What is the point of an academy or even the under 23 side if it leads nowhere ? All our youngsters need to believe there is a chance of making the first team to keep them working hard and developing. What message does it give the 14,15,16 year olds when the 18,19,20 year old are falling by the wayside. I've absolutely nothing against any player currently in the first team but youth must get it's chance

Give him a break.

His first and most important job is to make sure that we are not relegated.

He's making a great fist of that job so far.

It will be interesting to see who plays at right-back next week.

My feeling is that he'll play JW there and maybe the younger guys will get a chance, once we are mathematically safe.

So far, SCP seems to be trying a few permutations to see what works best with his squad and assess our needs for next season.

I think the younger guys will get a chance.

Don't forget, after the loss at Northampton, PB was a bit critical of the younger players and ditched them for the following home game against Fleetwood, so even having Dru in the starting line-up is a step forwards since then.

I'm not having a go at CP so don't instantly be defensive. The lack of youth development is an issue throughout football. I highlighted it in a Southend context. Clubs keep bringing in so-called experienced players and the youngsters fall further down the pecking order hence Elvis and Kyp not even on the bench
Give him a break.

His first and most important job is to make sure that we are not relegated.

He's making a great fist of that job so far.

I agree with all of that although, as Dru is the best performer in midfield by a country mile, it would be very odd if he was not playing. I understand all the reason why it happens but I feel managers in general find it hard to trust the younger players and be brave enough to give them a go. I'm not suggesting we play them all at once but when genuine opportunities present themselves they should be played. Kyp could have played today. Elvis could play next week

My feeling is that he'll play JW there and maybe the younger guys will get a chance, once we are mathematically safe.

So far, SCP seems to be trying a few permutations to see what works best with his squad and assess our needs for next season.

Don't forget, after the loss at Northampton, PB was a bit critical of the younger players and ditched them for the following home game against Fleetwood, so even having Dru in the starting line-up is a step forwards since then.

I suspect he realistically has three objectives for the rest of the season - in the following order:

1. Amass enough points to be mathematically safe from relegation.
2. Get a close look at senior players to determine who to retain for next season.
3. Give more experience to the young players who will form part of the first team squad next year.

He is well on the way to achieving the first objective and has made a start on the second and third (sending Wabo out on loan actually ticks that particular third box too). A couple of good results and I suspect by Oxford away you could well see Elvis, Kyp, Ba and (if finally fit) Ted Smith getting some serious game time and an opportunity to shine (or not!).

Despite all this I do think that there will be a very high turnover of players in the summer (including players leaving who are contracted for next season).

I hope JW doesn't move to right back; I would be concerned with JW, AF and MT in the back 4.

Personally would rather keep JW at the centre and bring Elvis in.

Tough run coming up for us.

Here's the current form over the last 10 matches, below :-

Our next 4 games are against 4 teams in the top 5!

GP
W
D
L
GF
GA
GD
Pts
2.5+
Rotherham
+11
50%
Plymouth
+7
50%
Blackburn
+10
70%
Shrewsbury
+6
50%
Gillingham
+4
60%

isnt the idea of training sessions also where you try out different permutations and line ups? obviously wouldnt be at full match intensity, but you wouldnt throw a team out on a match day without trying this first? (ok, i know some managers do and have done)

He's put Yearwood (who clearly IS good enough to play at this level) right in the middle of his team, every game, when we were arguably in relegation trouble and he had pretty much no experience, so he's not averse to youth when the player is up to it.
Equally he may have looked at a couple of others who have been in and around the first team, and decided they aren't good enough to play at this level. That's his call - he's the boss and he doesn't need to give everyone a few games to decide - with some players, managers make decisions based on what they see on the training pitch.
Once we're safe I'd expect him to experiment a bit more, both with players, formation, and tactics. Managers get very few chances to experiment in a competitive environment and these few games are the only honeymoon period Powell will get.

We're not going to play youth players for the sake of it if our first team players are fit. I'd love to see them play as well but it just wouldn't make sense. Once our safety is secure you will probably see a few appearance for them.

It's quite simple - we need to play our best team until we're mathematically safe. CP is employed by the club to pick that team and he's done a great job so far - don't forget that under Brown we'd lost 8 of the last 9 league games and were shipping an awful lot of goals. Since CP's appointment we've tightened up defensively and have also beaten the likes of Scunthorpe, Peterborough and Wigan while also losing just once. Clearly it's been a positive change and whatever CP decides is certainly good enough for me, I'm just delighted it looks like we'll be staying in League One.

Given our options upfront right now I was disappointed that Wabo was loaned out. Unless he gets a starts at Ebbsfleet, he may as well be here fighting for a place.

It's harder for CP to pick Kyprianou and Bwomono over experience because they're defenders. They're the final line, and if they make a mistake it could be costly. Demetriou is also our top scorer[?] and is a threat going forward. He came close to winning us the game yesterday so it would be hard to take him off. However, when White was injured I was hoping Kyprianou came in. Take nothing away from Ferdinand, he stepped in and stepped up. But as a left sided CB, Kyprianou could be learning a lot next to an in form Turner.

But these players are in the clubs long term plan, they all have three or more year contracts and their time will come.

A couple of seasons ago when we had comfortable secured our place back in L1 and we knew Bentley and Payne would be leaving, PB gave the likes Jack (never had a chance) Bridge and Ted Smith a go in the last few games. When we lost those meaningless matches that was used in evidence against PB.

If CP has any sense he won't make the same mistake.

A couple of seasons ago when we had comfortable secured our place back in L1 and we knew Bentley and Payne would be leaving, PB gave the likes Jack (never had a chance) Bridge and Ted Smith a go in the last few games. When we lost those meaningless matches that was used in evidence against PB.

If CP has any sense he won't make the same mistake.

I take your point but I enjoyed seeing Jack Bridge and Ted Smith in those games.Look forward to seeing more of our youngsters play in our last game against Brizzle Rovers,especially Elvis and Dru.

I take your point but I enjoyed seeing Jack Bridge and Ted Smith in those games.Look forward to seeing more of our youngsters play in our last game against Brizzle Rovers,especially Elvis and Dru.

So would I and I guess like me you would be looking for positives from these lads rather than dismissing them for the slightest error and then slagging the manager for picking them in the first place.

You only have to read some early season threads about Dru. Comments like not good enough for this level or needs a season on loan are what any manager is up against when does play them. If he doesn't we will have the usual claims of not giving youth a chance.

No manager at any level is ever given enough chance to develop home grown talent. Only those that impress almost immediately get to survive. British football is ultimately much poor because of it and us fans only have ourselves to blame.

Always a tricky one this, I see both sides of the debate, but if SCP wants to do the same thing PB did, in giving our youth players a chance to shine and allow them pitch time. I see no harm in it, if it's mathematically impossible to be relegated. It's not as if we receive more money finishing 7th than finishing 20th.

Looking ahead, it could well be in our interests for next season to give any players (who scp deems worthy of another contract / vital for next season / tired / risk of injury etc etc) a longer rest before the start of the new season in August, and trial some of the youth players that are trying to force themselves into the team, alongside some of the more senior players who the club has a question mark about, in terms of being good enough for League One level & considering offering them a new contract.

When we do get to that mathematically impossible figure, and if Wabo hasn't figured for Ebbsfleet, I would like to see him being re-called from loan. Along with Ted Smith, Kyp's & Elvis making appearances.

Back