• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Slipperduke

The Camden Cad
Liverpool’s senior side may not be performing as well as we all suspect they could, but Reds supporters can rest easy in the knowledge that the next generation are doing just fine. Liverpool’s reserve side dished out an emphatic 2-0 beating to Manchester United’s second string on Wednesday morning in a hotly contested game in Warrington watched by over 10,000 enthusiastic fans.

Former Liverpool defender Gary Ablett is in charge of the reserves and this result takes his men nine points clear at the top of the table. Ablett, who won two league titles in the 1980s, has turned his team into a homage to those classic Dalglish sides, playing everything out from the back with crisp, short passing. It’s refreshing to see that, while the senior side routinely resort to the long ball, the patient, superior ethos of the club is still alive and well at the level below. In the old days of succession from within, Ablett would be in with a chance of replacing Rafa Benitez and, on the basis of this performance, Liverpool could do a lot worse.

Mind you, they weren’t short of experienced players. Harry Kewell played a full 90 minutes and looked so good that it was like a watching a former professional footballer turning out for a friend’s pub team. He was so bewitching and dangerous that I actually had to look in my diary and make sure it wasn’t 2001 again. Daniel Agger and Martin Skrtel played a half each at the back to help recuperate from their injuries and, in the middle, poor Xabi Alonso dictated the play. Quite what the Spaniard is doing in Ablett’s team is absolutely beyond me. He is a magnificent footballer, surely more worthy of first team football than Lucas?

Liverpool fans would also have been delighted to see a vibrant performance from their number 8, a fiery local lad who kept trying to pick the game up by the scruff of the neck. Nope, not Steven Gerrard, but young Jay Spearing. Insiders at the club reckon that, of all their young prospects, Spearing has the potential to go the furthest. Like Gerrard, he has played in defence in the past, but has since evolved into a dynamic central midfielder with a certain degree of omnipresence. Wherever the ball went, you could see his little bald head trying to keep up with it, even in the final moments. It’s obviously far too early to predict whether or not he can do as well as Gerrard in the future, but there’s certainly something about him. Keep your eyes peeled.

There were no such bright spots for Manchester United fans, but it was good to see Gary Neville in action again. Neville has been out for almost a year with a worrying ankle injury and he settled into the game with the composure and professionalism that has served him well in his long career. It is notable that Kewell only sparked into life when he moved away from Neville’s part of the pitch.

United’s only achievement in the game was to provide one of the most astonishing misses I’ve seen in years. In the last minute, with the score at 1-0, a cross was swung into the Liverpool penalty area, evading everyone. Danny Simpson, the young United defender was standing on the goal-line, not two yards away from it, but actually on the goal-line and he headed it…well, along the goal-line. It was incredible. Simpson could actually have just closed his eyes and it would have hit him and gone in. Naturally, as always happens after a miss of this kind, Liverpool kicked the ball out and Kewell ran the length of the pitch to score and wrap up the game.

The result means that Liverpool have almost secured the reserve league with a number of games still left to play, always the sign of a healthy squad of players. Life in the first team may be fraught with stress and tension, but behind the constant talk of DIC, The Gruesome Twosome and the Rafalution, this proud old club looks in fine fettle.

United’s only achievement in the game was to provide one of the most astonishing misses I’ve seen in years. In the last minute, with the score at 1-0, a cross was swung into the Liverpool penalty area, evading everyone. Danny Simpson, the young United defender was standing on the goal-line, not two yards away from it, but actually on the goal-line and he headed it…well, along the goal-line. It was incredible. Simpson could actually have just closed his eyes and it would have hit him and gone in. Naturally, as always happens after a miss of this kind, Liverpool kicked the ball out and Kewell ran the length of the pitch to score and wrap up the game.

Awesome!!

Was playing Paul Anderson playing for Liverpool? I know he's been touted as a big prospect before.

I think he's on loan at Swansea at the moment, but I've heard a lot about him as well. They snatched him from Hull's Academy, didn't they?

Jay Spearing looked really good. A bit like Jamie O'Hara at Spurs, but maybe that's just the bald thing.

I think he's on loan at Swansea at the moment, but I've heard a lot about him as well. They snatched him from Hull's Academy, didn't they?

Jay Spearing looked really good. A bit like Jamie O'Hara at Spurs, but maybe that's just the bald thing.

I think you might be right actually I don't know where he came from tbh.

I've not heard anything about Spearing before so I'll keep my eye open for him.

any thoughts about Aliadieres extended ban for "frivolous" appeal?... it's about time there was some consistency between the leagues, especially after Freddy got his extended ban for pushing someone IN THE CHEST!

if you raise your hands it's a red card, it doesn't matter if you're provoked or whatever

any thoughts about Aliadieres extended ban for "frivolous" appeal?... it's about time there was some consistency between the leagues, especially after Freddy got his extended ban for pushing someone IN THE CHEST!

if you raise your hands it's a red card, it doesn't matter if you're provoked or whatever

Seems fair after what happened to Freddy.

Mascherano got away with it though by the letter of the law he should been sent-off aswell!

Yes, good decision by the League. Am appalled at the nonsense spouted by Keith Lamb the Boro Chief Exec....saying the FA are out of order, no consistency etc. If he paid any attention to the lower leagues he would have known this is what happens. Didnt the Hartlepool guy get an extra game as well?

Yes, good decision by the League. Am appalled at the nonsense spouted by Keith Lamb the Boro Chief Exec....saying the FA are out of order, no consistency etc. If he paid any attention to the lower leagues he would have known this is what happens. Didnt the Hartlepool guy get an extra game as well?

yeah he did. I can understand the boro chief being annoyed that Mascherano didn't get any punishment and that the ref made some kind of statement that he saw the whole thing and didn't think Mascherano's behaviour was worthy of punishment (or something like that), however prevoked or not he still you can't raise your hands.

worth the ban just for slapping someone, tart!

Frankly, and I'd love to put this in a column, they're both a bunch of gaylords and they deserve everything they get. Mascherano should be banned for three games for tweaking Aliadiere's nose and another two for the shameful dive he executed two minutes later. Aliadiere should get three matches for the slap and he should be instructed to head-butt or dragon-punch his assailant like a man should it happen again.

Frankly, and I'd love to put this in a column, they're both a bunch of gaylords and they deserve everything they get. Mascherano should be banned for three games for tweaking Aliadiere's nose and another two for the shameful dive he executed two minutes later. Aliadiere should get three matches for the slap and he should be instructed to head-butt or dragon-punch his assailant like a man should it happen again.

I suspect if he tried to head butt someone though his nose may get in the way and strike first, which could have painful consequences....

If Lamb's argument is based on Mascherano should have been punished...thats a childish argument and he may as well have simply wrote on the appeal "But Miss, he did it first".

Going by precedent Alliadiere should have been sent off and any argument to the contrary (under the current laws), is indeed frivilous.

Mark Lawrensen was saying the same thing on MOTD

Back