• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Slipperduke

The Camden Cad
Hello there, I'm Ernst von Slipperduke and welcome to my lair. I come with a challenge for anyone who thinks they might be a bit good at Football Manager 2008, that infamous thief of time.

It's always struck me that Football Manager challenges can be a little flawed. It's all very well saying, "let's all start as Southend and see what happens," but I think we've all come to have our favourite players, our trusted tactics and we all have a fair idea of what we'd do as soon as we clicked 'confirm.'

And then there's the time scale. Some of us have more free time than others and there's nothing so dispiriting as finally finishing your season, only to realise that your rivals are deep in the 2030s, hiring Wayne Rooney's son as a veteran midfielder.

I suggest a new tact. A true test of skill and acumen with a structure that will hold us together. I've selected a league and schedule to guarantee competition. On my signal, we will all start as the same team, in the same league, making different decisions that will determine our own fate as Football Managers. I challenge you to....

The Indian National Football League!

The game will officially begin on Monday, June 23 and you have until Monday, June 30 to confirm your entry here.

To save confusion from this point, all real-world dates will be presented like this (Monday, June, 23) and all game-world dates like this (23/06/07).

You can start your game now, if you so choose, but remember that the game begins in 18/07/07 and you will not be allowed to progress beyond 01/10/07. Upon that date, you must post your league table strip which will allow me to assemble a separate league of Shrimperzone supremos. i.e.

Hazey P12 W8 D2 L2 F24 A11 Pts 26 (Cup Round 3) Total - 32

You will also be awarded bonus points for your progression in the cup competitions.

On Tuesday, July 1, you will be allowed to continue your career, passing forwards in time from 01/10/07 to 01/01/08, but no further shall you go.

On Tuesday, July 8, you will be allowed to progress from 01/01/08 to 01/03/08, where the Indian National Football League comes to an end and the final Shrimperzone table will be announced.

I have selected a very appropriate team for you all to lead to glorious success or humiliating failure. They play is a 35,000 capacity stadium. They come from Fatorda, Margao. They have fairly basic training facilities and basic youth facilities. They are of course, CHURCHILL BROTHERS SPORTS CLUB, and they have dismissed Karim Bencherifa to make room for YOU!

So, ladies and gentlemen. Dispense with your social lives, prepare the pizza delivery boy, cry havoc and let slip the laptop of war. On, on, you English dogs! Lead your men to victory against the mighty East Bengal! Get the best out of Bungo Singh! Win the Durand Cup!

Ernst von Slipperduke

RULES AND REGULATIONS

1, In order to maintain interest, you may start at any time, but you must not progress beyond the stated deadlines

JUNE 30 - 01/10/07
JULY 7 - 01/01/08
JULY 14 - 01/03/08 (End of Season)

2, League leaders will be asked for screenshots to back up their claims of brilliance. There will also be a random screenshot testing policy in action at any time, for any player. Failure to provide a screenshot that backs up your account will result in immediate ridicule. The Football Manager 2008 Challenge is for fun and the only person you'll be cheating, if you cheat, is yourself. You dirty cheat.

3, You may not leave Churchill Brothers Sports Club for another team. But why would you? They came 4th last season, they're sleeping giants.

4, You will begin with the reputation of Semi-Professional. This should give you enough kudos to make your players do what you tell them.

5, You will set up the game with only the Indian League running and a small database. No other nations, no other players sets, nothing at all. Everyone must start with the same confused look on their face.

6, You will set up your game on the Football Manager 2008 8.0.2 Patch, easily locatable on the worldwide interwebberysite.

7, The game will run indefinitely according to popularity, so don't rule out a youth policy, you may need it.

8, Ernst von Slipperduke's decision is final.

HINTS AND TIPS

1, Remember that if you start right now, you'll have about ten days to play a handful of games. Don't rush it. Watch other teams, scout players, create intricate training routines. There's barely any money to spend, so this is all about brass tactics.

2, Feel free to find an Indian League website and research your players, there's no shame in doing a bit of homework and it might be beneficial.

3, Feel free to discuss anything you want on this thread, that's what it's there for. Don't be too generous in your tips though...

CONFIRMED CHALLENGERS

1, Slipperduke
2, Billericay Blue
3, Irish Shrimper
4, Pitsea Blue
5, Ozzy Shrimper
6, Fredheim Holm
7, Adam 3811
8, Class
9, Beefy
10, JamesTheSuperBlue
11, Shrimper2TheCore
12, BaileyTheBlue
13, Eastwood Shrimper
14, Brettie Angell

Last edited:
Top work Slip - nice one mate. Put me down, and hopefully it goes well enough for us to all carry it onwards for a couple of seasons.

Working until 2am tonight, but can't wait for the confusion to start when i see the team sheet of these lads at 2:30 :D

I've just set my game up and I'm a little baffled, it has to be said. We appear to have a Brazilian defender, the fabulously named Fabio Vidal, and, of course, there's Bungo Singh.

I have high hopes for Bungo.

Hmmm....I may have to adapt my traditional tactic of knocking it long for the big lad. There are no big lads. I've got a team of smurfs.

Best challenge ever. Loving the limits on how much we can do, always wanted to go slowly but never bothered.

Class stuff Slip, class.

yeah, sounds good.. I'll be in!

can someone just fill me in (as I havent really ever gone into things like this) is all the semi professional rep under advanced options when starting with a new manager?

yeah, sounds good.. I'll be in!

can someone just fill me in (as I havent really ever gone into things like this) is all the semi professional rep under advanced options when starting with a new manager?
Yeah. Its normally as 'automatic', click that drop down, and select semi pro.

Hmmm....I may have to adapt my traditional tactic of knocking it long for the big lad. There are no big lads. I've got a team of smurfs.

Having been to India myself (and indeed, having played a season with East Bengal when I got back) I can confirm that they are midgets. Every. Single. One of them. Thus, do not get out of cars without looking very carefully all around you and for the love of God be careful gonig down stairs.

Oh what the heck, I'm in. Sure I can get my mouse to work for long enough, and besides, I kicked some serious backside when I was East Bengal.

Should be 'on', in keeping with the challenge aspect, but don't worry if it isn't. It's no deal breaker because that game will be moving so slowly that you'll end up knowing more than your scouts!
On it is, I normally have it on off, but this should make it more interesting, as you say.

Also, I take it that no restarts are allowed. I wouldnt do it myself but I know some people would want to. One chance, thats it? I think so.

Just changed the currency to Indian Rupees. Gotta be done.

haha
I can't do that!
Some bloke wanted a fiver a week on mine..

gotta go now, so have to look into it all more tomorow ;)

like to see some good advice for a newbie like me from all you lot soon though!.. haha

Back