• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Smoking While Driving - Fair to Prosecute Or Not?

Southminster_Shrimper

Sir Kevin Betsy Fan Club
Changes to the Highway code now indicate that people smoking while driving could be charged with "Driving without Due Care and Attention".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7017543.stm

Is that fair?

Makes me wonder where these sorts of things will go next......no singing to your favourite tune because its a distraction!?

Shocking ... i always find a cigarette quite calming whilst tackling the nations highways

Other than you driving me to Newcastle when we played them on the opening day a few years back when do you ever tackle the highways.

Saw this on BBC this morning - this also extends to eating, drinking and reading maps at the wheel as well, although they did say they'd usually only prosecute in the event of an accident.

The words "could" and "may" are slightly different to 'will'.

People 'could' be charged with smoking whilst driving without due care and attention, and they 'may' get a heavy fine.

Realistically nothing will happen, how many people do you still see using their mobile phones whilst driving.

However, if you are are sitting behing the wheel of your car with a cigarette in one hand and a bottle of Jack Daniels in the other, and driving at 80mph - you 'will' be f*cked !

Saw this on BBC this morning - this also extends to eating, drinking and reading maps at the wheel as well, although they did say they'd usually only prosecute in the event of an accident.

Well i can see where circumstances coud arise for this (i nearly did it once my self map reading ). Im sure they said it was more a guide for new drivers anyway , as the more experinced ones have kind of got the hang of doing multiple things at once.

I think it's absolute bollocks. If my brother is driving I'll light his fag for him but how can we prove that if he got pulled over?

Surely you don't have to. Wouldn't they would have to proove you didn't?

Well i can see where circumstances coud arise for this (i nearly did it once my self map reading ). Im sure they said it was more a guide for new drivers anyway , as the more experinced ones have kind of got the hang of doing multiple things at once.

Indeed, us experienced drivers can eat, smoke and map read whilst driving. Although not all at once obviously. :p

Before they start cracking down on this they need to sort out those people that phone while driving - I was nearly hit by two idiots this morning who failed to give way as they should because they were too busy nattering on the phone.

A load of old Nanny State b0llocks again!

and what, pray tell, is Nanny state or even bollocks about prosecuting someone for driving without due care and attention (especially if they have caused an accident) ?

car drivers who smoke also lob their , still lit, fag ends out of the window, (I know I do) , this is only a real problem when thay haven't checked behind before doing this and the motorcyclist following behind , or worse still overtaking, gets a lit dog-end in his crutch.

Personally, I feel the standard of driving is currently shocking (last week approaching the mini roundabout by Chalkwell station I was overtaken by sombody who was not only doing at least 45 , but went the wrong side of 2 keep left bollards and round the roundabout the wrong way !) and unfortunately there are just not enough traffic police driving around to catch people

unfortunately there are just not enough traffic police driving around to catch people

I'd say unfortunately there aren't ANY traffic officers around to catch people. I drive 50 miles to work (and back) every day yet I hardly ever see any police cars en route.

Generally speaking you'll only find yourself properly nicked and charged if you cause an accident or act like a complete **** when the police pull you over for a talking to.

I'd be happy to bet that, in the eyes of the average traffic cop, the comment "shouldn't you be out catching real criminals?" carries an almost automatic six-point penalty.

As silly as this may seem, what about the drivers who are engrossed in picking their noses???

I've seen people in another world trying to pick their brains out. That must be as bad as lighting up a ciggy?

BTW, I'm a non smoker!

"If you're lighting up with one hand with a fag in the other,you clearly do not have your hands on the wheel"

-Yeh but in that case us experienced drivers just use our elbows,it's only for a nanosecond anyhow.
On the mobile phone issue though that's naughty and i'd like to privately prosecute every wan*er trying to drive with one hand for any length of time.
Those Bluetooth handsets that clip onto the sun visor are the nuts ,possibly best 50 notes i've spent in a long time.

As my job entails driving for most of the day I see various poor driving and the only way I can vent my anger/frustration after displaying road rage at the person is by lighting up and now I can't even do that. Bloomin government. Yep let's hit the smokers again.
I suppose it won't be long before I will have to stop applying my mascara and lippy on in the car

Back